Re: [patriotzip] Michael Jenkins? REALLY!

  • Mark Morse
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 29, 2013
      Why does everyone want a deep threat?  Brady can't throw long ... he is a terrible long passer!  Look at the Super Bowl losses ... he didn't complete a pass over 20 yards.  Why dod we need a deep threat?  We need players that can run good routes, catch the ball when thrown to them, understand the offense, and block downfield.  You give me players like that and with the Offensive line intact and the young RBs I'm going to win a lot of games!  Oh yeah ... and Tom F*&^%$#@ Brady at QB!

      Mark Morse
      Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 29, 2013
        I took the opportunity to watch the 2009 Atlanta game on rewind last night, and made it through three quarters.   With Julian Edelman trying to take the place of Wes Welker, Brady targetted Randy Moss sixteen times, but still found time to throw a potential TD pass to Joey Galloway (he'd have needed three yards of YAC had he held on to the ball).   Long before Galloway dropped that one, Michael Jenkins had a nice sit down catch entirely worthy of the 2012 Brandon Lloyd opus, for an Atlanta first down.

        The more significant sequence came in the third quarter, with NE P leading 16-10.  Jenkins ran a route down his left sideline, and fought off the hand of Leigh Bodden with his right, trail hand, while securing an arching throw with his left hand, and coming down with both feet in bounds and without juggling the ball.

        A play or two later, he scored the game-tying TD, at least according to Fox, which posted a 16-16 count at the top of the screen, but he was called for interference, after which the Falcons never scored again.

        Atlanta's number one wide out was Roddy White, and not long after, Thomas Dimitrof gave away the farm to pair him with Julio Jones, beginning Jenkins' oddyssey as a journeyman.  He ain't no Julio Jones.  He isn't Anquan Boldin, either, but he surely isn't Reche Caldwell.  I think he will be our backup X receiver, and there is still the entire summer to see if the Patriots can do better than Dante Stallworth for a guy to run the deep route and keep the safeties honest.

        By the way, what's the knock on Brady throwing deep?  NFL Network leads off the Jeremy Piven sequence for Rewind with a long Brady pass completion into the end zone.  Sure, Bernard Pollard had to make a great play just so Jimmy Smith would have a chance at it, but still................!   The real target was Matthew Slater, who has'nt been sent deep much if at all in the 19 games since that one.

[...]

      • Don Diamant
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 29, 2013

          I’m with Mark, without a deep threat QB a deep threat WR is pointless.  The only reason Randy Moss worked out as a deep threat, for one year, is that he caught passes no other WR could.  Even Randy Moss can’t do that now…

          Don