Re: [patriotzip] Lloyd renegotiating...

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 15, 2013
      I agree with your summary assessment, Frank. What this will mean is a solid "spread the ball around" passing offense. Unfortunately, that's what the Patriots' have had for the last several years; and it has failed to take them to the promised land. This type of offense can be, and has been, shut down by superior defenses. You know, like the ones that go deep into the playoffs, where they shut down the Patriots in the 4th quarter, and send them home?

      I guess Cruz is still out there as a true "deep threat"; but, if the Patriots sign Sanders, It's unlikely that they'll then go after Cruz. Although, if they let Edelman go, I suppose there would still be roster room for Cruz.

      In any case, whether from FA or the draft, I feel that they still need to add a true and consistent deep threat to take them over the top against the best defenses in the NFL. Lloyd, Sanders, and Jones are all #2 or #3 WRs. The Patriots still have nobody to really stretch the field as a #1. I'm guessing now that their #1 DP will be a WR, if there's one out there at slot #28 who's good enough to fill that requirement. (No suggestions from me. I don't play the Draft Board game any more.) :-)

      On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 8:45 AM, frankdanabrewster <frank.dana@...> wrote:

      Supposedly restructuring his salary downward, to stay with the team. If they can pry Sanders from Pittsburgh, and with Donald Jones on board, they may be OK at WR... not great, but not bad either.

      -- George
    • frankdanabrewster
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 16, 2013
        Well, I guess that didn't work out so well...

        http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2013/03/16/report-patriots-to-release-wide-receiver-brandon-lloyd/

        fdb