Patriots Offseason Part 2 - The Draft

  • Mark Morse
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2013
      Now that the College All Star Games are complete we are starting to see some players move up the draft boards.  Next comes the combine and then individual workouts for the teams.  I watched the two predominant All Star games (East/West Shrine Game and Senior Bowl) and read all the reports from more important practices leading uo to the games.

      Observations

      Worst QB class in more than 10 years.  Matt Flynn, Alex Smith, and even Ryan Mallett have more value than the QB's in the draft.  This made evaluating the WR's very difficult.  The QB's were just that bad.  D line and O line are solid in the draft. especially DT.  The Senior Bowl does not allow any Juniors that have declared to play, hence the name Senior Bowl.  So, theu had only 9 of the top 40 players in the draft play.  Alot of seniors declined to play.

      CB Jordam Poyer, Oregon St stood out as well as Safeties JJ Wilcox, Georgia Southern and Jonathan Cyprien Florida International

      Marquise Goodwin WR Texas - a welker type receiver 5'8" 173.  "Everytime I watched Goodwin take a rep I thought of line from the Mel Brooks movie
       Spaceballs ' Prepare the ship for ludirous speed'" - Daniel Jeremiah NFL.com

      Ezekiel Ansah DE/LB BYU made alot of money at this game and he is no longer a possibility of falling to the Patriots at #29.  The other player that helped himself out immensely was OT Eric Fisher Central Michigan.  He went from a #20 pick to a top 10.

      a few players that hurt themselves were S TJ McDonald USC, OT Oday Obushi Virginia and Margus Hunt DE SMU.  McDonald got burned by the slow footed Alabama TE Terrence Williams for a TD.  Obushi was a turnstile all week.  Cornelius Washington abused him in the game.  With all the buildup about Hunt being another JJ Watt I had to see for myself.  He too often got stuffed at the LOS and never had any pressure on te QB.

      The Draft:

      29. Trade Down  Trade with TEN for 2nd #40 and 4th #104
      40. Matt Elam SS Florida 5’10” 202# runs 4.53 Currently NFL Draft Scout #43
      Athletic, instinctive and quite physical, Elam demonstrated the ability to walk up into the box and be a force near the line of scrimmage while also dropping back into coverage as a single-high safety when coaches called for it -- showing off the type of versatility NFL teams are demanding from today's hybrid safeties. Elam shows good vision and anticipation when fighting through blocks near the line of scrimmage and is a reliable, physical tackler.  Best under the bright lights and a ball hawk.

      59. Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee 6'4" 200#. 4.49 Currently NFL DraftScout #66.
      Hunter is a tall, long athlete with an exception catching radius and reach. He is a fluid, gliding mover with long strides and deceiving speed to get vertical or make plays after the catch. He has strong footwork in/out of his breaks with sharp route quickness to sell patterns and create some separation. He tracks the ball beautifully, adjusting with outstanding body control.
      Hunter does a nice job becoming a DB downfield to knock balls away and prevent the INT. He has the size/speed combination to attract defensive holding and pass interference penalties in his routes. Hunter has experience lining up as an X, Y and Z receiver, lining up all over the offense for Tennessee.
      He had a productive 2012 season as one of only four SEC receivers to surpass 1,000 receiving yards, finishing third in receiving yards (1,083) and touchdown grabs (9). Despite just 17 career starts, Hunter finishes his Tennessee career ranked top-five in career 100-yard receiving games (8) and touchdown catches (18).

      91  Trade #91 &
      #218 to CLE for 3rd #101& 4th #132.

      101 Menelik Watson, OT, Florida St. 6'6" 320#. Currently NFL DraftScout #95.
      He is physical and powerful, and would give the Pats an incredibly brutal right sided tandem for the future. He's raw as hell, but he's only been playing football for 18 months. Give him another 18 months in Dante's Dancing Academy, and he could be something.

      104 Zaviar Gooden LN Missouri 6’2” 235 OLB runs 4.49 former safety Currently NFL DraftScout #117.
      Gooden is viewed by those close to the program as the Tigers' most unique athlete. The 6-2, 230-pound outside linebacker has reportedly been clocked in the 4.4s.  Three year starter and he was voted a team captain as Senior. Originally recruited as a safety and redshirted in 2008 playing at this position, move to outside linebacker in 2009. Served as a quality backup, registering 30 tackles, including three for loss, while playing in all 13 games. His unique athleticism has drawn comparisons to former Missouri star (and current Atlanta Falcons standout) Sean Weatherspoon. He relies on his speed to be in position to make plays, too often taking false steps or attempting to run around blocks. He's physical and feisty.

      132 Trade: Pats trade #132 & 202 to MIN for #149 & 166.

      149 Cornelius Washington DE Georgia 6’4” 264# 4.79 Currently NFL Draft Scout #223, Great Blue North has him at #140
      He was one of the best players at the Senior bowl and could see his draft stock move way up.  Granted he was going up against perhaps the worst RT I have ever seen at the Senior Bowl, but he was putting constant pressure on the QB’s.

      166 Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU. 5'9" 178#. Currently NFL DraftScout #181.
      Fallen Beast!
      If he lasts this long, this is where I would take a flier on a scrappy player like the Honey Bader. We could use some toughness in our secondary. I'm tired of being soft. We need a few thugs in our secondary. This is an about-face for me, but right now, I want some bad asses who will take some shots and send some messages.

      Mathieu is undersized and doesn't have elite man coverage skills. But he is a heat seeking missile and ball hawk par extraordinaire who can be moved all around the secondary to create disruption. He had 6 forced fumbles and recovered 5 of them himself. He's a big risk with multiple off field issues leading to his dismissal from LSU, but right now we need someone like him. He could excel in a nickel back/slot kind of role.

      Supe Sleeper  / UDFA

      Mike Hermann QB Rensselaer Polytechnic Instutute DIII -  Hermann was the two time Liberty League Offensive Player of the Year.  His gawdy numbers are only part of the reason why he will get a shot with some team in the NFL.  For his 4 year career as a starter, Hermann threw for 7,187 yards and 57 TD's (in only 9 games year).  At 6' 5" 252 pounds, Hermann ran a 4.64 for NFL scouts.  His career rushing totals are just as impressive, 1,735 yards and 29 TD's.   All 32 teams have scouted him at least twice according to his head coach Bob Bodor.  Don't forget the  connection with Rensselaer Alum and Pats Defensive Coordinator Matt Patricia.  Hermann had a difficult upbringing that is chronicled in the story below.  Hermann is currently the #30 ranked QB by NFL Draft Scout.

      Mark Morse
      Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup
    • Ed Bryant
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2013
        Those precisely scripted trades are hilarious, but I love that you are getting us more young and not too expensive bodies for the 2013 season.

        As you know, we already better with the addition of Demps, AA, Fletcher, and this Gronkowski kid, but what does anyone really know about Vollmer and Zucevics in 2013?