Focus on Free Agency This Offseason

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2013
      Keep in mind, fellow Patriots' fans, that our team has only 5 Draft
      picks this year - R1, R2, R3, and 2 in R7. Now we all know that BB
      does a lot maneuvering, mostly trading down, in the Draft; and he
      could do so this year to increase the total number of picks. And, of
      course, he could trade the aging and fading Tom Brady for a couple
      more. ... EASY, just kidding! :-)

      But seriously, I expect to see more "significant" activity (meaning
      more proven starting quality players) acquired via FA this season than
      we have seen in the past. BB does not like losing. (There's a scoop
      for you!) There are obvious weaknesses on the defense, CB and S being
      the top two, that are unlikely to be eliminated with a Draft pick from
      slot #29. Now, if there is a guy out there worth moving up for, BB
      could do that. I am not a "Draft scholar", so I don't know if such a
      player exists this year. But moving up would mean thinning out the
      total Draft picks even more. Can we afford to do that? I'd say, "no".

      So, as I said in my note a couple of days ago, I'd like to see BB go
      after one of the top starting CBs, and one of the top starting Ss, if
      he can afford to outbid their current teams.

      Of course, I'm as good at predicting what BB will do as most of you
      are; but that's my best guess, and my personal opinion, given the
      paucity of draft picks.

      Any other thoughts on that point?

      --
      -- George