Re: [patriotzip] Re: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Ravens)

    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 22, 2013
      Thanks, Mark. I had forgotten that. I do recall all of that stuff, thanks to your reminder. There's no doubt that he performed like a 1st Round pick on the field for the Patriots this year. I just hope, as I said, that we don't see another "1 year wonder" with him next year.

      On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 12:15 AM, Mark Morse <packy001@...> wrote:

      George,

      Early Mock drafts last year had Dennard going to the Patriots in the 1st Round.  He was a 1st round talent that got kicked out of a bowl game when he went up against a top WR talent.  He then got in a fight with a police officer (assault and resisting arrest) three days before the draft.  He dropped to the 7th ropund because noone would touch him!

      Mark Morse
      Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 12, 2015
        The Good
        - The final pass to LaFell over the CB while his arm was being held and the safety coming over the top was probably Brady's best throw of the year. He had such a small opening and he dropped it on a dime. Great catch by LaFell.
        - Great time to break out the razzle dazzle with the Edelman pass. Loved the setup too. Gronk and Amendola were aligned over there and they motioned Edelman to simulate the WR screen. The pass came out perfectly and Gronk just stood there and blocked. Amendola released outside and turned it up field. The DB missed the jam and then bit on the Edelman fake. Perfect throw to a wide open player. Perfect execution. Edelman didn't overthrow or underthrow a wide open guy which is hard considering how amped up he must have been.
        - Dumervile did not show up on the stat sheet. No tackles, no pressures, no nothing. Suggs had 2 tackles and half a sack. No factor in the game. The OL did a nice job by only giving up 2 sacks on that many pass attempts.
        - Flacco was very classy after the game. Hugged Brady and talked for a minute. You could hear him say "go get em" as they parted. This guy is the real deal.
        - The D really started to play well in the 3rd and 4th quarters. They had a couple of key stops and the 2 turnovers were huge.
        - Amendola came through. He had a couple of really nice plays where he battled for extra yardage (the TD and the key first down late in the game in particular). Nice to see him get involved.
        - Edelman continues to carry this team at times.
        - The TD to Gronk. Was that the worst kept secret since a Brady sneak on 3rd and inches? They showed blitz. Brady recognized single coverage. He made a hand signal to make sure Gronk saw the same thing and it was a simple pitch and catch at that point. No way to stop it.
        - Even though Revis was called for a hold, a PI and gave up a TD, he still shut out S Smith in the second half. I thought he tipped the ball back to Smith on the TD which just makes it bad luck. Yes, the hold was a killer but we wouldn't have had the strip sack if he didn't commit the penalty. Flacco was looking there and then couldn't throw because of it. I'm not down on Revis at all.
        - Wendell stepped in for Stork and played great. We didn't miss a beat.
        - Crazy legs does it again. Smart run with everyone covered.
        - We completed almost 73% of our passes in the second half. That shows how this team can turn things around in a hurry.
        - Another hat and shirt game at home. We should play hard and then take the 2 weeks to get healthy to play in the SB. No reason to think we shouldn't be there.

        The Bad
        - Another week, another shot of Gronk's crack. Just say no to crack. (The only reason this is not in the ugly is because my wife specifically stated that she didn't mind seeing it).
        - Brady is now calling LaFell Jojo. WTF? Stupid nicknames.
        - Brady had another meltdown at the end of the half with a terrible throw to Gronk. We just tied it up after being down 14 and had the ball with an opportunity to take the lead and get the ball to start the 2nd. It was not a smart throw in that position.
        - We can't start out slow and expect to win again. Indy looked good against Denver and they have more firepower than Baltimore.
        - The D was pretty much non-existent in the first quarter. We started in zone and got exposed by Flacco. How many times did they throw to the right flat for double digit yardage.
        - Don't like losing Stork. He was our most consistent lineman. Hope he is ok for this week against Indy.
        - Browner going out could have been bad as well but he said he will be OK for next week.
        - Manning. He was terrible against Indy. His passes were slow and his long ball was not even close. They kept throwing deep but the ball was nowhere near the WR. Were they expecting to complete the pass or were they just looking for PI?
        - If he didn't lose so much yardage on the kneel downs (and sacks didn't count as runs), Brady would have been our leading rusher.
        - Our DL was overmatched all game. No pressure on Flacco and we couldn't stop the stretch run play even if we knew it was coming. Giving up 5 yard per carry, 420+ yards and 3 4th down conversions is not normally a recipe for victory.
        - 2 fumbles and a pick. We can't give the ball away like that. Vereen's fumble was correctly overturned.
        - If we make it to the dance, we either get a D that may be one of the best ever assembled or an O that is extremely diverse with the best QB in the game today. Pick your poison.

        The Ugly
        - I have never seen such an inept group of officials in my life. Amendola made the catch on 3rd down in the first quarter. The Revis PI was just fighting between the DB and WR. Gronk was held on a 3rd down pass in the 3rd Q. Clear offensive hold on the strip sack should have offset the Revis hold.
        - Why was there no personal foul for kneeing Brady? For all the protection of the QB, this one seemed a little blatant to me.
        - What constitutes a football move? Bryant caught the ball, took 3 steps, reached for the endzone and then hit the ground. The ball pops up and he catches it again. I don't know what a catch is anymore.
        - Harbaugh blaming the officials for his team's ineptitude. Watching the game, I could hear the announcement that Vereen was not eligible. The refs even said not to cover him on the 3rd time. The rule book states that a team can have an eligible player line up in an ineligible position as long as he declares himself. This happens all the time on punts. We did just that. We split Vereen out wide to be the left tackle. Hooman lined up a yard back so he was not covered. We moved our normal right tackle to right guard and had Gronk tight to the line on the left side. It's really no different that the flying wing. We had 5 ineligible players and a total of 7 on the line. Is it deception? Sure. But so aren't play action passes, flea-flickers, end arounds, and fake punts. That's the name of the game. Make your opponent think you are doing something you are not. Why do WRs run sluggos? Because they want the DB to think they are running a slant but they are really running a go. That's deception.
        - Not sure which category to put this in. Sexy Rexy has been hired as the head coach of the Bills. He doesn't leave the division but did have to change states (both NY teams play in NJ damn it). We get a couple of more years of hearing his gibberish before we play them. He leaves a team with a mess at QB to go to a team with a mess at QB. He will go hard after Revis if we release him.

        Dave
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 12, 2015

          Good review!

          I do think that they need to mix things up and not rely on Gronk all the time—that surely is NOT a well-kept secret.

          I didn’t see his crack, but my girls really like him! I don’t really care to see anyone’s backside, especially the bigger, fatter guys.

          You’d think that the players want that area NOT exposed to the temps this time of year??

          Manning did not play his best football for sure. Do you think that he should retire? I know that only he can know for sure, but I’m thinking that he won’t get another ring.

          Indy? We do need to be on our guard but I think that we’ll come out the victor on that one.

          The end dance as you say? Was confused at first by the description of that sentence—saying that the Hags have both of those on their side.

          Don’t think the defense even comes close to the Pittsburgh steel curtain from what I’ve read of the Bears of 1985/86. What makes the Hags SEEM better are their constant PED use, I’m sure.

          They always look like they’re hyped up on speed or something.

          Rodgers and his offense? It’s good but I do think that we can get past that.

          GO PATS—only vs. Indy right now

          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 12, 2015

            Regarding Gronk’s crack, there were numerous meme’s on Facebook and I’m sure Twitter too during the game.  One spoofed Kim Kardashian’s cover shot on Paper magazine and others were just shots of the Ravens guy who looks like he’s biting Gronk’s butt (just the angle of his face trying to get Gronk to the ground).  I guess the days of guys wearing jock straps is over so I hope he at least was wearing a cup.

            ‘Nuff said.

            Peter

            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 13, 2016
              The Good
              - TB12, right now, is the leading candidate for MVP. The guy just shredded the #1 D in the NFL for 400+ yards and 3 TDs.
              - The OL played out of their minds. Great blocking schemes in the run game to get Blount some yards. They were hard to come by but everyone stuck to the plan. They gave Brady plenty of time in the passing game and really did a good job with picking up the blitzes that were sent at them. Honorable mention to the RBs for blitz pickup. White apparently learned over the off season and is now very good at it.
              - Loved the flea flicker design. It was an off tackle run with an angled pitch back. We didn't throw a bomb either. Just a 20 yard strike on a line. Same play, different concept makes it hard to defend.
              - Boy, our D continues to play great. They stuffed the Ravens O all night. Flacco never seemed to ever get comfortable in the pocket and didn't really do a good job identifying who was rushing. I love the fact we put 6 guys on the line and rushed 3 or 4 different ones every time. No one knew who was coming and it put a lot of pressure on the OL to make smart decisions.
              - The shift just before the safety freed up 2 guys to come unblocked into the backfield. Great design and fantastic execution. Malcom Brown is playing well in the middle of the DL.
              - Ryan Allen had a fantastic night, pinning Baltimore at the 1 and the 2. The first led to the safety and the second was when the D needed a stop to keep the lead. Clutch.
              - Matt Patricia and Josh McDaniels outdid themselves for this game. Both deserve HC shots in the future.
              - I sang his praises before but White really is playing well. He is a really fast man.
              - Mitchell continues to shine. He has worked hard, learned the system and gained Brady's trust.
              - The tempo and pace we ran was fantastic. We kept Baltimore guessing. Sometimes hurry-up, sometimes slow and methodical, sometimes on a quick count, sometimes on a long count with audible. We dictated the game.
              - Hogan and Brady are getting on the same page as well. He saw the coverage, identified what his route should be, knew Tom saw the same thing and both executed perfectly. The Pats route trees are extremely complex and knowing what to run when is tricky. This is probably the primary reason we have not had success with WRs through the draft or many in free agency.
              - "sometimes, there's one slice of pizza left and there's two hands that reach into the box. I'm always going to eat mine. I'm always going to get the last slice." - M Bennett on his TD catch.
              - The Pats are 50-1 at home against the AFC since 2007. That's why we are in the playoffs again.
              - The Pats have 90 straight wins when leading going into the 4th quarter at home.
              - Randy Moss still loves his boys. Pregame predictions he took a step toward the camera and just said "TOM BRADY." Any questions?
              - Great play calls on the last series. Even though it was bad at the time, I think getting the ball just before the 2 minutes warning helped. I know it gave the Ravens an extra time out but it also allowed us to throw the ball without consequence. We get the ball with 2 to go, we run, run, run and probably don't make it (Ravens are a great run D). Before the 2 minute warning, we can throw a pass which, if incomplete, is no big loss. Go out of bounds? No worries. Edelman picks up 8 and leaves us 3 shots at getting 2 yards. Perfect. Glad we went for it on 4th down instead of taking the FG. Ghost is back so I had confidence in him but too much can go wrong with a FG. Give it to the big man and let him run.
              - Butler came up with the big hit late in the game just short of the 1st down marker. Not only prevented the 1st down, he kept the receiver in bounds and forced the FG attempt.
              - The O was really efficient with the short passes, screens and slants. We got out of that for a while in the 3rd quarter but we got back to it and it really paid dividends.
              - The Oakland loss to KC vaults us into 1st place in the AFC.
              - John Cena did a spot on impression of Gronk on SNL. Really well done. I also liked his impression of a Bama football player presenting his final project on bananas. There are 5 types of bananas. Yellow, yellow with brown spots, brown, green, and round orange ones.
              - LET'S GO!!!

              The Bad
              - Cyrus needs to be taken off kick and punt returns. He can't judge the ball, he gets way too close when he can't catch it and has terrible ball security. The kicked punt was awful. The ball bounced 5 yards away from him. Why was he still running toward it. There is no need to get near the ball when it's bouncing. Hell, even my son's old youth team taught everyone "poison". Good god man. BB has benched players for far less. This is a habitual thing with him.
              - Matthew Slater had a gaff as well. Running into a pile, he still had the ball in 1 hand. There was nowhere to go. Just wrap it up and go down. I'll give him a pass this time as he is just off of injury and doesn't return kicks much but come on man.
              - I wish TV would stay with the handshakes at the end of the game a little longer. I am really interested in who BB and TB12 were looking for after shaking the coach and QBs hands. BB always is looking for someone but you never get to see who. My guess was Steve Smith but could have been someone else. Brady was looking for someone as well but they cut away just before we could see who it was.
              - Not sure why Baltimore didn't kick off after getting it to 6. If they kick it through the EZ, it's our ball at the 25 just before the 2 minute warning. They had 2 time outs so there was a chance to get the 3 and out. With the onside kick, they give us the ball in great field position where, if it's close, we can go for it on 4th down.
              - I thought we missed too many tackles last night. As good as we played, there were times where they were running through us, picking up extra yards and getting out of bounds to stop the clock.
              - Edelman had at least 3 drops that he should have had. Did the cold affect him or did he just lose concentration.
              - How can Butler be called for a holding call on McCourty's return if he didn't hit anyone. He looked like TB12 leading Blount through the hole. He kept avoiding contact for some reason.
              - Bad INT in the end zone. Brady had many options and that wasn't it. A sack there and we still come out with 3 points. Throw it into the first row of the stands and we still get three. Floating one off balance into double coverage is the worst possible choice.

              The Ugly
              - Approximately 1 week after announcing his contract extension and his tying a record that will be very hard to beat, the LA Rams fired coach Jeff Fisher.
              - Denver finishes the season against New England, Kansas City and Oakland. All 10+ win teams. Brutal.
              - And now...pealing his body off the turf after getting knocked completely backward out of the hole and onto his ass..number 32...from the Baltimore Ravens...who cares. Guy got trucked by Blount on the last play.
              - The refs called a hands to the face penalty on the Lions when the Bears player had 2 hands on the facemask and was pushing his head completely backwards.
              - It's been 18 years since it last happened. The Jaguars are apparently battling the Browns for most inept team. I present, for your entertainment, delay of game on the kicker, prior to a kickoff.
              - Up against the Jags, the Browns countered with a flea flicker, from their own end zone. Concept? Solid. Timing? Well done. Blocking? Stellar. Everything went right except for the fact the QB threw into triple coverage and the ball was picked off.
              - Not to be left out, did anyone see Ryan Tannahill's pass to, the ground, backwards and 5 yards behind the receiver? May be the worst throw in the history of the game.
              - The NFL investigation into the allegation that Pittsburgh deflated footballs took all of 5 minutes. Apparently, it doesn't matter who breaks the rules, as long as it's not the Pats. I am shocked, but then again I'm not, that there wasn't any stink made of this. ESPN would never report on it since the NFL basically owns them.

              Dave
            • Peter Anderson
              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 13, 2016

                Good job as always.  McDaniels is supposedly on the short list for the Rams job.  Edelman may be tired from changing diapers in the middle of the night.

                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 13, 2016
                  Dave,

                  Excellent as always ...

                  I wanted to add to the Hogan/ Brady 79 yd TD.  That play went against all the tendencies  the Patriots have.  With Blount in the game, especially in the 4th Qtr when the Patriots are trying to close out a game, they run the ball.  The play action pass sucked in FS Weddle, who actually took two steps back 1st then came up and froze.  Cudos to Hogan and Brady who both read the play correctly.  Hogan adjusted his route and the pass was right on the money for an easy pitch and catch TD that broke the backs of the Ravens.

                  Mark Morse

                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 13, 2016
                    Another great job, Dave. I have some comment embedded below.

                    --- George
                    Once Again PROUD to be an American!

                    On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 1:10 AM, Levine, Dave via patriots <patriots@...> wrote:
                    The Good
                    - TB12, right now, is the leading candidate for MVP.  The guy just shredded the #1 D in the NFL for 400+ yards and 3 TDs.
                    *** There is no question about the quality of the Ravens' defense. There also can't be any question in the mind of any reasonable objective and knowledgeable NFL fan that Brady IS the G.O.A.T.! The tougher the challenge, the better he plays.
                    - The OL played out of their minds.  Great blocking schemes in the run game to get Blount some yards.  They were hard to come by but everyone stuck to the plan.  They gave Brady plenty of time in the passing game and really did a good job with picking up the blitzes that were sent at them.  Honorable mention to the RBs for blitz pickup.  White apparently learned over the off season and is now very good at it.
                    *** The OL has played well in almost every game this season. I can't help but wonder if the horrific performance against the Seahawks wasn't at least partially intentional. Did BB want to avoid showing the possible SB opponent everything the OL can do? ... I know, I'm probably reaching for that BB trickery idea. Just sayin' ...
                    - Loved the flea flicker design.  It was an off tackle run with an angled pitch back.  We didn't throw a bomb either.  Just a 20 yard strike on a line.  Same play, different concept makes it hard to defend.
                    - Boy, our D continues to play great.  They stuffed the Ravens O all night.  Flacco never seemed to ever get comfortable in the pocket and didn't really do a good job identifying who was rushing.  I love the fact we put 6 guys on the line and rushed 3 or 4 different ones every time.  No one knew who was coming and it put a lot of pressure on the OL to make smart decisions.
                    *** Credit IS due. But the fact is that Flacco, despite his salary, is not among the best QBs in the NFL; and he only has one really great WR (Smith); and no great RB. The Ravens offense is not among the league's best.
                    - The shift just before the safety freed up 2 guys to come unblocked into the backfield.  Great design and fantastic execution.  Malcom Brown is playing well in the middle of the DL.
                    *** Brown, unlike C. Jones, is definitely NOT a bust. He's not yet a great DT; but he's steadily improving.
                    - Ryan Allen had a fantastic night, pinning Baltimore at the 1 and the 2.  The first led to the safety and the second was when the D needed a stop to keep the lead.  Clutch.
                    *** He doesn't get the credit he deserves from the media. Who cares? We know how important he is to this team. Field position is especially important to a team that plays the Patriots' "bend but don't break" style of defense.
                    - Matt Patricia and Josh McDaniels outdid themselves for this game.  Both deserve HC shots in the future.
                    *** McDaniels may go the Rams next season. They need an offensive minded HC with strong QB coaching skills. Working with a young talent like Goff may really appeal to him.
                    - I sang his praises before but White really is playing well.  He is a really fast man.
                    - Mitchell continues to shine.  He has worked hard, learned the system and gained Brady's trust.
                    - The tempo and pace we ran was fantastic.  We kept Baltimore guessing.  Sometimes hurry-up, sometimes slow and methodical, sometimes on a quick count, sometimes on a long count with audible.  We dictated the game.
                    - Hogan and Brady are getting on the same page as well.  He saw the coverage, identified what his route should be, knew Tom saw the same thing and both executed perfectly.  The Pats route trees are extremely complex and knowing what to run when is tricky.  This is probably the primary reason we have not had success with WRs through the draft or many in free agency.
                    *** Most of us were down on White during his first 2 seasons. Took him a while to "get it"; but he's definitely there now. ... Count the effective YOUNG weapons: White, Hogan, Mitchell. Lewis not that young, but not old either. Since Blount and Edelman are obviously not done yet, it's really a scary arsenal for opponents to face, even without Gronk!
                    - "sometimes, there's one slice of pizza left and there's two hands that reach into the box.  I'm always going to eat mine.  I'm always going to get the last slice." - M Bennett on his TD catch.
                    - The Pats are 50-1 at home against the AFC since 2007.  That's why we are in the playoffs again.
                    - The Pats have 90 straight wins when leading going into the 4th quarter at home.
                    *** I thought their graphic said it was 90 going into this game. 91 now? Incredible either way.
                    - Randy Moss still loves his boys.  Pregame predictions he took a step toward the camera and just said "TOM BRADY."  Any questions?
                    - Great play calls on the last series.  Even though it was bad at the time, I think getting the ball just before the 2 minutes warning helped.  I know it gave the Ravens an extra time out but it also allowed us to throw the ball without consequence.  We get the ball with 2 to go, we run, run, run and probably don't make it (Ravens are a great run D).  Before the 2 minute warning, we can throw a pass which, if incomplete, is no big loss.  Go out of bounds? No worries.  Edelman picks up 8 and leaves us 3 shots at getting 2 yards.  Perfect.  Glad we went for it on 4th down instead of taking the FG.  Ghost is back so I had confidence in him but too much can go wrong with a FG.  Give it to the big man and let him run.
                    *** Great point on the "benefit" of the 2 minute warning, Dave. I hadn't thought about that.
                    - Butler came up with the big hit late in the game just short of the 1st down marker.  Not only prevented the 1st down, he kept the receiver in bounds and forced the FG attempt.
                    *** He's a good tackler most of the time. Really a do it all CB. Not yet HOF caliber; but he continues to improve. Definitely an overachiever for an undrafted kid from a small school!
[...]

                    *** I've said my piece on Cyrus Jones. Trade him in the off season!
                    - Matthew Slater had a gaff as well.  Running into a pile, he still had the ball in 1 hand.  There was nowhere to go.  Just wrap it up and go down.  I'll give him a pass this time as he is just off of injury and doesn't return kicks much but come on man.
                    *** Right on all points. He makes FEW mistakes, and many great plays on STs.
                    - I wish TV would stay with the handshakes at the end of the game a little longer.  I am really interested in who BB and TB12 were looking for after shaking the coach and QBs hands.  BB always is looking for someone but you never get to see who.  My guess was Steve Smith but could have been someone else.  Brady was looking for someone as well but they cut away just before we could see who it was.
                    *** I had exactly the same thought, Dave. It's interesting to see who our guys want to talk to after the game.
                    - Not sure why Baltimore didn't kick off after getting it to 6.  If they kick it through the EZ, it's our ball at the 25 just before the 2 minute warning.  They had 2 time outs so there was a chance to get the 3 and out.  With the onside kick, they give us the ball in great field position where, if it's close, we can go for it on 4th down.
                    *** Easy answer. Their HC is a dumb ass whiner.
                    - I thought we missed too many tackles last night.  As good as we played, there were times where they were running through us, picking up extra yards and getting out of bounds to stop the clock.
                    *** Once again, you're echoing me. I was complaining about that throughout the game. (Much to the dismay of my friends in the sports bar.) Every Raven ball carrier seemed to get at least another 4-5 yards after the initial contact. TAKE 'EM DOWN, GUYS!
                    - Edelman had at least 3 drops that he should have had.  Did the cold affect him or did he just lose concentration.
                    *** Yeah. Not as sure handed as usual. Still made some great plays, of course. But too many drops. And I wish he'd stop squirming around for an extra two yards on every reception. He's so exposed for a strip. When a much bigger player (which is almost every defender) wraps him up, he should get to the ground.
                    - How can Butler be called for a holding call on McCourty's return if he didn't hit anyone.  He looked like TB12 leading Blount through the hole.  He kept avoiding contact for some reason.
                    - Bad INT in the end zone. Brady had many options and that wasn't it.  A sack there and we still come out with 3 points.  Throw it into the first row of the stands and we still get three.  Floating one off balance into double coverage is the worst possible choice.
                    *** Yup. Cut the bum! :-) Agreed though. He does do that occasionally. Bad situational football. Know when the extra effort is worth the risk.

                    The Ugly
                    - Approximately 1 week after announcing his contract extension and his tying a record that will be very hard to beat, the LA Rams fired coach Jeff Fisher.
                    - Denver finishes the season against New England, Kansas City and Oakland.  All 10+ win teams.  Brutal.
                    *** Fine with me! :-)
[...]
                    *** I struggle to keep my composure (sort of) when people refuse to acknowledge that Goodell has it in for Belichick, and goes after the Patriots at every opportunity, or simply creates an opportunity, because of that hatred for BB. I'll be very disappointed if the Patriots don't do or say something, no matter how subtle, as an "in your face" gesture to Goodell, should they win this SB. I know they can't do what I'd do. I'd have "The Deflator" up on stage to accept the Lombardi Trophy from Goodell! But at least do or say something to reference overcoming an unfair burden that was placed upon them.

                    Dave

                  • Steve Basile
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 13, 2016
                      Didn’t we also have an AMAZING leaping blocked FG?

                      A couple of ST blunders (Jones, the worst. AGAIN.  Bench him now) negated for me by great ST play downing the ball on the one before the safety, and that PERFECT leap to block a sure FG.

                      We overcame bad calls, two HUGE ST blunders and spotting them 14 points to win against the supposed toughest D out there.

                      I like it!
                      GO PATS.

                      Baze
                      --