Re: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Ravens)

  • frankdanabrewster
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013
      Good analysis, as always.
      Dennard is impressive. Hopefully he keeps getting better.
      Hope we can get Welker back for a couple more years.
      When Talib went out, and I saw Arrington on Boldin, I knew it would be a long night.
      No Gronk certainly made it a lot easier for the Ravens secondary.
      I'm just glad we won't have to witness Ray's stupid dance next year.

      fdb

      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 21, 2013
        I just want to add one comment on Dennard. Earlier, I spoke of the Patriots' history of having CBs who had a very good 1st season with the team, regress from that point on. It will be very interesting to see if that happens with Dennard, who, IMO, had an excellent season in his 10 games (7 starts), after coming in as a 7th Round pick. He was better, in fact, than any of the CBs that the team has selected much earlier in the Draft in recent years. Kinda makes you think about old "blind squirrel" adage, doesn't it?

        Let's keep an eye on his "progress" next year. Will he improve, or will the Patriots coaching staff "coach him down"?

        --
        -- George
      • Mark Morse
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 22, 2013
          George,

          Early Mock drafts last year had Dennard going to the Patriots in the 1st Round.  He was a 1st round talent that got kicked out of a bowl game when he went up against a top WR talent.  He then got in a fight with a police officer (assault and resisting arrest) three days before the draft.  He dropped to the 7th ropund because noone would touch him!

          Mark Morse
          Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup

          --- In mailto:patriotzip%40yahoogroups.com, "Levine, David" wrote:

          > The Good
          > - We played to the end. Hell of a season but we just came up a little short.
          > - The D really did play well. The young pups will get better next year.
          > - Dennard looks like a steal and should hold the CB position for a while.
          > - McCourty has found his home at safety.
          > - Brother vs. Brother in the SB should be an interesting story line.
          > - Welker took a pounding but kept getting back up. Can we please sign him to a 3 year deal and put this issue to bed.
          > - Love the direct snap with Brady still calling signals. Smart football.
          > - Does anyone really think Mallet would have snapped the ball? I guess Baltimore did cause they called timeout.
          > - San Fran is for real folks. That O is dynamic with the rookie (not going to try and spell the name)
          >
          > The Bad
          > - Once Talib went out, you knew our D was in trouble. It changed the way we had to play and reduced our coverage. He could man up on Boldin allowing McCourty and Gregory to roam and help Dennard. With him out, we had to use both safeties to help on WRs and left the TE open.
          > - Ridley took a shot to the head that looked dangerous. Nice to see him walk off the field under his own power.
          > - The tipped ball that was intercepted really did us in. We were driving for a closing score with plenty of time left. Bad break.
          > - The drop by Welker on 3rd down killed a drive and cost us points. It's too early in the 3rd Q to really say that was the difference but it didn't help.
          > - The overthrow of Hernandez on the little flat route. He had 20 yards of open space in front of him but Brady just missed.
          > - Lloyd tripping on a 3rd down pass that would have hit him in stride but instead he had to dive for and couldn't come up with.
          > - Brady just missing Welker on a deep crossing pattern early. Could have set the tone of the game.
          > - No Gronk really cost us. He would have made a difference.
          >
          > The Ugly
          > - I don't know how Ridley's fumble could be called a fumble. His back knee, butt and leg were on the ground before the ball came out. That was a horrible call by the refs. Turned the game.
          > - Pollard is a dirty player. 3 head shots in the game, only 1 called a penalty. How is this guy not fined on a weekly basis.
          > - I hate the murderer Ray Lewis. Everything is all about him. What is with the crying on the field? Really, you need the spotlight this much? I hope he gets run over by Gore for the winning TD in the Super Bowl. The love fest with him is greater than that with Manning.
          >

          > David Levine
          > Process Engineer
          > Rapid Assay Solutions
          > IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.
          > One IDEXX Drive
          > Westbrook, ME 04092
          > 207-556-8893
          > 207-632-4097 (cell)
          > 207-556-8665 (fax)
          > david-levine@...

          -- -- George

> [...]

            > - Brady just missing Welker on a deep crossing pattern early. Could have set the tone of the game.
            > - No Gronk really cost us. He would have made a difference.
            >
            > The Ugly
            > - I don't know how Ridley's fumble could be called a fumble. His back knee, butt and leg were on the ground before the ball came out. That was a horrible call by the refs. Turned the game.
            > - Pollard is a dirty player. 3 head shots in the game, only 1 called a penalty. How is this guy not fined on a weekly basis.
            > - I hate the murderer Ray Lewis. Everything is all about him. What is with the crying on the field? Really, you need the spotlight this much? I hope he gets run over by Gore for the winning TD in the Super Bowl. The love fest with him is greater than that with Manning.

            -- -- George

            --
            -- George
          • Levine, David
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 12
              The Good
              - The final pass to LaFell over the CB while his arm was being held and the safety coming over the top was probably Brady's best throw of the year. He had such a small opening and he dropped it on a dime. Great catch by LaFell.
              - Great time to break out the razzle dazzle with the Edelman pass. Loved the setup too. Gronk and Amendola were aligned over there and they motioned Edelman to simulate the WR screen. The pass came out perfectly and Gronk just stood there and blocked. Amendola released outside and turned it up field. The DB missed the jam and then bit on the Edelman fake. Perfect throw to a wide open player. Perfect execution. Edelman didn't overthrow or underthrow a wide open guy which is hard considering how amped up he must have been.
              - Dumervile did not show up on the stat sheet. No tackles, no pressures, no nothing. Suggs had 2 tackles and half a sack. No factor in the game. The OL did a nice job by only giving up 2 sacks on that many pass attempts.
              - Flacco was very classy after the game. Hugged Brady and talked for a minute. You could hear him say "go get em" as they parted. This guy is the real deal.
              - The D really started to play well in the 3rd and 4th quarters. They had a couple of key stops and the 2 turnovers were huge.
              - Amendola came through. He had a couple of really nice plays where he battled for extra yardage (the TD and the key first down late in the game in particular). Nice to see him get involved.
              - Edelman continues to carry this team at times.
              - The TD to Gronk. Was that the worst kept secret since a Brady sneak on 3rd and inches? They showed blitz. Brady recognized single coverage. He made a hand signal to make sure Gronk saw the same thing and it was a simple pitch and catch at that point. No way to stop it.
              - Even though Revis was called for a hold, a PI and gave up a TD, he still shut out S Smith in the second half. I thought he tipped the ball back to Smith on the TD which just makes it bad luck. Yes, the hold was a killer but we wouldn't have had the strip sack if he didn't commit the penalty. Flacco was looking there and then couldn't throw because of it. I'm not down on Revis at all.
              - Wendell stepped in for Stork and played great. We didn't miss a beat.
              - Crazy legs does it again. Smart run with everyone covered.
              - We completed almost 73% of our passes in the second half. That shows how this team can turn things around in a hurry.
              - Another hat and shirt game at home. We should play hard and then take the 2 weeks to get healthy to play in the SB. No reason to think we shouldn't be there.

              The Bad
              - Another week, another shot of Gronk's crack. Just say no to crack. (The only reason this is not in the ugly is because my wife specifically stated that she didn't mind seeing it).
              - Brady is now calling LaFell Jojo. WTF? Stupid nicknames.
              - Brady had another meltdown at the end of the half with a terrible throw to Gronk. We just tied it up after being down 14 and had the ball with an opportunity to take the lead and get the ball to start the 2nd. It was not a smart throw in that position.
              - We can't start out slow and expect to win again. Indy looked good against Denver and they have more firepower than Baltimore.
              - The D was pretty much non-existent in the first quarter. We started in zone and got exposed by Flacco. How many times did they throw to the right flat for double digit yardage.
              - Don't like losing Stork. He was our most consistent lineman. Hope he is ok for this week against Indy.
              - Browner going out could have been bad as well but he said he will be OK for next week.
              - Manning. He was terrible against Indy. His passes were slow and his long ball was not even close. They kept throwing deep but the ball was nowhere near the WR. Were they expecting to complete the pass or were they just looking for PI?
              - If he didn't lose so much yardage on the kneel downs (and sacks didn't count as runs), Brady would have been our leading rusher.
              - Our DL was overmatched all game. No pressure on Flacco and we couldn't stop the stretch run play even if we knew it was coming. Giving up 5 yard per carry, 420+ yards and 3 4th down conversions is not normally a recipe for victory.
              - 2 fumbles and a pick. We can't give the ball away like that. Vereen's fumble was correctly overturned.
              - If we make it to the dance, we either get a D that may be one of the best ever assembled or an O that is extremely diverse with the best QB in the game today. Pick your poison.

              The Ugly
              - I have never seen such an inept group of officials in my life. Amendola made the catch on 3rd down in the first quarter. The Revis PI was just fighting between the DB and WR. Gronk was held on a 3rd down pass in the 3rd Q. Clear offensive hold on the strip sack should have offset the Revis hold.
              - Why was there no personal foul for kneeing Brady? For all the protection of the QB, this one seemed a little blatant to me.
              - What constitutes a football move? Bryant caught the ball, took 3 steps, reached for the endzone and then hit the ground. The ball pops up and he catches it again. I don't know what a catch is anymore.
              - Harbaugh blaming the officials for his team's ineptitude. Watching the game, I could hear the announcement that Vereen was not eligible. The refs even said not to cover him on the 3rd time. The rule book states that a team can have an eligible player line up in an ineligible position as long as he declares himself. This happens all the time on punts. We did just that. We split Vereen out wide to be the left tackle. Hooman lined up a yard back so he was not covered. We moved our normal right tackle to right guard and had Gronk tight to the line on the left side. It's really no different that the flying wing. We had 5 ineligible players and a total of 7 on the line. Is it deception? Sure. But so aren't play action passes, flea-flickers, end arounds, and fake punts. That's the name of the game. Make your opponent think you are doing something you are not. Why do WRs run sluggos? Because they want the DB to think they are running a slant but they are really running a go. That's deception.
              - Not sure which category to put this in. Sexy Rexy has been hired as the head coach of the Bills. He doesn't leave the division but did have to change states (both NY teams play in NJ damn it). We get a couple of more years of hearing his gibberish before we play them. He leaves a team with a mess at QB to go to a team with a mess at QB. He will go hard after Revis if we release him.

              Dave
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 12

                Good review!

                I do think that they need to mix things up and not rely on Gronk all the time—that surely is NOT a well-kept secret.

                I didn’t see his crack, but my girls really like him! I don’t really care to see anyone’s backside, especially the bigger, fatter guys.

                You’d think that the players want that area NOT exposed to the temps this time of year??

                Manning did not play his best football for sure. Do you think that he should retire? I know that only he can know for sure, but I’m thinking that he won’t get another ring.

                Indy? We do need to be on our guard but I think that we’ll come out the victor on that one.

                The end dance as you say? Was confused at first by the description of that sentence—saying that the Hags have both of those on their side.

                Don’t think the defense even comes close to the Pittsburgh steel curtain from what I’ve read of the Bears of 1985/86. What makes the Hags SEEM better are their constant PED use, I’m sure.

                They always look like they’re hyped up on speed or something.

                Rodgers and his offense? It’s good but I do think that we can get past that.

                GO PATS—only vs. Indy right now

                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 12

                  Regarding Gronk’s crack, there were numerous meme’s on Facebook and I’m sure Twitter too during the game.  One spoofed Kim Kardashian’s cover shot on Paper magazine and others were just shots of the Ravens guy who looks like he’s biting Gronk’s butt (just the angle of his face trying to get Gronk to the ground).  I guess the days of guys wearing jock straps is over so I hope he at least was wearing a cup.

                  ‘Nuff said.

                  Peter