Don't understand the coaching

  • Rich Carreiro
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 2013
      I'm adding this one to my list of "WTF were the coaches
      doing?!?" games.

      * All those punts from the Baltimore 35. If you're not
      confident in the FG attempt (and I don't blame them
      given the wind), go for it from there! Chance to keep
      possession is more valuable than a piddley 15-25yd of
      field position, especially once Talib was out of the game.
      * Why not use more of Vereen to put more stress on the
      Baltimore defense?
      * Why not more play-action and misdirection to use the
      Baltimore D's aggressiveness against them?
      * Bad playcalling on 3rd and short (though admittedly
      one conversion was negated by Solder's hold).

      Just don't get it. Especially after BB's "gotta get
      out of the foxhole and and attack in the playoffs"
      remark last week.

      --
      Rich Carreiro rich@...
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 21, 2013
        I have to agree, Rich. The game was not well coached by the Patriots. But it was not the only reason why they lost.

        First of all, we have to acknowledge that the Ravens played a hell of a game, on both sides of the ball. They deserve credit for that.
        Secondly, Brady had another "less than outstanding" game against his nemesis team, the Ravens. He rarely plays well against them. It's a noticeable blemish on his outstanding HOF career.
        Welker dropped another easy pass that should have been a key 1st down.

        But, for me, the biggest key was the inability of the team (read "front office and coaches) to acquire and coach adequate depth in the defensive backfield. A championship defense doesn't go from shutdown to sieve because the in-game loss of one player. The Patriots did just that yesterday when Aqib Talib went out. They had effectively limited the Ravens passing game until then. After that, it was back to the same look they had shown us before they acquired Talib. It truly appears that this team has ONE capable cornerback. And they have been weak at that position since the departures of Ty Law and Assante Samuel. Plenty of great ones have come into the league since then; but the Patriots have had none of them.

        I don't know the specific reasons for that; but I do know that, if they fail to find an answer, they will continue to fail in the big games to teams that have a decent QB and at least one very good receiver. Note that I didn't use the word "great" for the opponents. You don't need a great QB or a great receiver to beat the Patriots pass defense. You just need good ones. Whatever it takes during this off season, they need to re-sign Talib - yes, more important than Welker! - and they need to land another outstanding CB from either the draft (even if they have to trade all 3 picks for him), or FA (if they can afford it).

        All that said, I continue to wonder if this area is simply not a strong point for our coaching staff, including Belichick. As I asked earlier, how can it go on year after year, through dozens of CBs, if there isn't a weakness in the coaching? Haven't we seen at least 3 or 4 CBs come in and have 1 very good season, and then regress? They are notorious for it throughout the league. Are they that bad on player evaluation of CBs; or is it, in fact, the coaching?

        I'm just a dumb fan. I don't know the answers. But I sure as hell know that the question is legitimate, and that the results are obvious.
          --
        -- George