Re: Brian Daboll? Really?

  • Scott Sheaffer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 15, 2013
      Daboll only got one year stints in both Kansas City and Miami. It's pretty difficult to install a complex offense like the Patriots run which is vastly different in certain things than some players are used to. (Look at the struggles that Ocho Cinco and others have had trying to learn it.) Yes, Charlie Weiss had been the Chief's offensive coordinator a few years before Daboll arrived, but their new head coach of the time was Todd Haley, considered an offensive guru due to his success as Arizona's offensive coordinator. I've heard there were clashes and tension between Weiss and Haley. So I wonder how close to Weiss's Patriots' offenses the Chiefs' playbook was. Miami certainly wasn't running anything like New England's offense prior to Daboll's hiring. The Dolphins improved from 30th in offense to 20th while Daboll was there. His two years in Cleveland, he was saddled with Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn at QB before Colt McCoy emerged during Daboll's second year. There was also the disruptive hiring of Mike Holgrem. From the outset, everyone suspected he was going to scrap Mangini and his staff to bring in someone to install a West Coast offense instead. He put it off for a year, but the axe did indeed fall.

      I don't think Daboll's been blessed with very good circumstances as an offensive coordinator. He might succeed in the right situation e.g. a stable team with a decent QB. Besides, the Patriots didn't bring him in to be an offensive coordinator right now. They brought him in as a lower level assistant, an area where he's had past success.

      Sent from my iPad