Brian Daboll? Really?

  • frankdanabrewster
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 14, 2013
      This seems rather odd. Brian Daboll rejoining the Pats. Didn't he leave in a huff after '06, when McDaniels got the nod as OC, instead of him? He's coming off stints as OC for Cleveland, Miami, and KC. Not a sterling resume. LOL!

      http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/blitz/2013/01/brian_daboll_rejoin_patriots_coaching_staff

      fdb
    • Mark Morse
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 14, 2013
        Perhaps a future (proven although unsuccessful with lesser talent) OC when McDaniels takes over.  Could we be witnessing the transition from the Bill Belichick era?  Could this be happening sooner than later?

        Mark Morse
        Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 14, 2013
          Special Teams Coach? I hope so!!

          On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 12:10 AM, frankdanabrewster <frank.dana@...> wrote:

          This seems rather odd. Brian Daboll rejoining the Pats. Didn't he leave in a huff after '06, when McDaniels got the nod as OC, instead of him? He's coming off stints as OC for Cleveland, Miami, and KC. Not a sterling resume. LOL!

          http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/blitz/2013/01/brian_daboll_rejoin_patriots_coaching_staff

          -- George
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 14, 2013
            Anything is possible, Mark; except, of course, for anyone to read BB's mind. :-) But I'd be surprised if BB is anywhere near ready to retire. At age 61, he's still relatively young for a HC, and doesn't appear to have lost any of his desire to win, or to work very, very hard every day. He's very conscious of NFL history. His winning pct. as a HC is .649, and I believe he'd like to pass Don Shula (.665) and George Halas (.682) in that prestigious category - at the very least, Shula. He's currently 8th in all time wins with 192 (193 would tie him for 7th with Chuck Noll, if yesterday's win isn't included in the number on the Patriots' website). Shula's 328 and Halas' 318 are probably out of reach. But Landry is 3rd with 250; and, if the Patriots keep winning an average of 11 games per season (incl playoffs, that seems realistic), he'd become #3 all time in just 6 years, and pass Shula for 2nd in pct of wins. A nice point at which to retire, I'd say, at age 67. Why not?

            Clearly he has something in mind for Daboll beyond "unassigned assistant" or whatever. I doubt that Daboll would rejoin the team without some significant position promised in the near future - as in next season. My best guess would be that he might take over the QB Coach duties (a position he had with the Jets for 3 seasons) from McDaniels, leaving McDaniels more time to focus on OC.

            I suggested earlier that he might take over as STs coach; but I have to withdraw that. I did some research on our kick and punt return defense. Turns out, despite my impression that it has been poor all season, the fact is that the Patriots were #3 in the league in both categories; with a 20.5 avg on KRs, and a 6.5 avg on punt returns. ... My humble apologies to STs Coach Scott O'Brien. :-)  (But we sure had some guys out of their lanes when defending KRs against the Texans.)

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 15, 2013
              It was an interesting theory, but BB has certainly never given the impression that he is anywhere near retiring. Always states how much he loves what he is doing. I like the QB coach idea. I'm sure he got along well with TB, or they wouldn't have brought him back.

              There is somewhat of a consensus that he will walk out the door with Brady, but I'm not so sure. He may relish the idea of rebuilding this team with a new signal caller, if he finds the right guy - if nothing else, just to prove to the world that he wasn't successful just because of Brady.

              fdb

              --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, George Richman wrote:

              > Anything is possible, Mark; except, of course, for anyone to read BB's
              > mind. :-) But I'd be surprised if BB is anywhere near ready to retire. At
              > age 61, he's still relatively young for a HC, and doesn't appear to have
              > lost any of his desire to win, or to work very, very hard every day. He's
              > very conscious of NFL history. His winning pct. as a HC is .649, and I
              > believe he'd like to pass Don Shula (.665) and George Halas (.682) in that
              > prestigious category - at the very least, Shula. He's currently 8th in all
              > time wins with 192 (193 would tie him for 7th with Chuck Noll, if
              > yesterday's win isn't included in the number on the Patriots' website).
              > Shula's 328 and Halas' 318 are probably out of reach. But Landry is 3rd
              > with 250; and, if the Patriots keep winning an average of 11 games per
              > season (incl playoffs, that seems realistic), he'd become #3 all time in
              > just 6 years, and pass Shula for 2nd in pct of wins. A nice point at which
              > to retire, I'd say, at age 67. Why not?
              >
              > Clearly he has something in mind for Daboll beyond "unassigned assistant"
              > or whatever. I doubt that Daboll would rejoin the team without some
              > significant position promised in the near future - as in next season. My
              > best guess would be that he might take over the QB Coach duties (a position
              > he had with the Jets for 3 seasons) from McDaniels, leaving McDaniels more
              > time to focus on OC.
              >
              > I suggested earlier that he might take over as STs coach; but I have to
              > withdraw that. I did some research on our kick and punt return defense.
              > Turns out, despite my impression that it has been poor all season, the fact
              > is that the Patriots were #3 in the league in both categories; with a 20.5
              > avg on KRs, and a 6.5 avg on punt returns. ... My humble apologies to STs
              > Coach Scott O'Brien. :-) (But we sure had some guys out of their lanes
              > when defending KRs against the Texans.)
              >
              > On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 4:49 AM, Mark Morse wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Perhaps a future (proven although unsuccessful with lesser talent) OC when
              > > McDaniels takes over. Could we be witnessing the transition from the Bill
              > > Belichick era? Could this be happening sooner than later?
              > >
              > > Mark Morse
              > > Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup
              > > http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/RazorsEdgeTailgate/

            • Scott Sheaffer
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 15, 2013
                Daboll only got one year stints in both Kansas City and Miami. It's pretty difficult to install a complex offense like the Patriots run which is vastly different in certain things than some players are used to. (Look at the struggles that Ocho Cinco and others have had trying to learn it.) Yes, Charlie Weiss had been the Chief's offensive coordinator a few years before Daboll arrived, but their new head coach of the time was Todd Haley, considered an offensive guru due to his success as Arizona's offensive coordinator. I've heard there were clashes and tension between Weiss and Haley. So I wonder how close to Weiss's Patriots' offenses the Chiefs' playbook was. Miami certainly wasn't running anything like New England's offense prior to Daboll's hiring. The Dolphins improved from 30th in offense to 20th while Daboll was there. His two years in Cleveland, he was saddled with Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn at QB before Colt McCoy emerged during Daboll's second year. There was also the disruptive hiring of Mike Holgrem. From the outset, everyone suspected he was going to scrap Mangini and his staff to bring in someone to install a West Coast offense instead. He put it off for a year, but the axe did indeed fall.

                I don't think Daboll's been blessed with very good circumstances as an offensive coordinator. He might succeed in the right situation e.g. a stable team with a decent QB. Besides, the Patriots didn't bring him in to be an offensive coordinator right now. They brought him in as a lower level assistant, an area where he's had past success.

                Sent from my iPad