Re: [patriotzip] Quick Thoughts

  • George The Patsfan
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 9, 2002
      From: "PatriotZip <patriotzip@...>" <patriotzip@...>
      To: patriotzip@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [patriotzip] Quick Thoughts
      Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 13:00:39 -0000

      I really do think Seymour had a top notch game today - maybe he's an
      end of the season performer? :)

      ***** In that case, it must be time to run out J.R. Redmond! :-)

      This team gets full of itself a bit too quickly, they came out flat
      after a 20-0 half time.

      ***** It's still that damn SB hangover, I tell ya! They can't get the "We
      are the Champions" music out of their heads. Every time they get a lead, it
      starts playing again, drowning out the "Rocky" theme that inspires them to
      over-achieve! :-)

      Brady can hit the long ball - just not often enough. Though Weiss
      had a good game plan for using Brady.

      ***** As I said last night, that long one to Branch wasn't a real "bomb". It
      had very little arc, and was more like a long "out route".

      Matt Light is a serious problem on this team. Maybe we need a PACE-
      maker?

      ***** I am leaning very heavily toward OLT as our primary need, despite my
      long-standing moaning about LBs. It certainly ranks in the top 3, IMO.
      OLT/LB/DL, in order of the best available athlete - first on the FA market,
      then in the draft.

      The Bills shot themselves with coaching errors as well as performance
      issues. That 1st and goal on the 1 where Drew hit Tebucky - easily
      that should have been three doses of Travis Henry.

      Bottom line is it was a solid start, a decent finish and a very
      important win. Very little time to appreciate it though as it's all
      about Tennessee now. This is as important as any game. We do NOT
      have enough tie-breakers to hope for a Wild Card, we MUST get this
      division!

      ***** AMEN to that, Zip! The Titans are hot once again. Lots of talent there
      with McNair and George, not to mention a damn good D. Add to that the fact
      that the huge home games against the Jets and Phins have got to be in our
      players' heads. This is going to be a very tough game to win. It will take
      every ounce of coaching ability in both the film room and the players' heads
      for BB & staff to prepare for it.

      George 665 + 36 =
      ** World Champion N E Patriots **

    • PatriotZip <patriotzip@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 10, 2002
        --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "George The Patsfan"
        <patsfangr@h...> wrote:
        >> I really do think Seymour had a top notch game today - maybe he's
        an
        > end of the season performer? :)
        >
        > ***** In that case, it must be time to run out J.R. Redmond! :-)

        Faulk certainly has picked up his play well but I won't forget how
        clutch Redmond was for us in the playoffs. What did he do to get
        demoted to BB's doghouse? I think he's gone after this season and I
        will be sad to see him go after what he helped achieve against
        Oakland in the Snow-Bowl and St. Louis in the Big Dance!

        >> Brady can hit the long ball - just not often enough. Though Weiss
        > had a good game plan for using Brady.
        >
        > ***** As I said last night, that long one to Branch wasn't a
        real "bomb". It
        > had very little arc, and was more like a long "out route".

        It's still a real bomb. It may not arc like a Parish rainbow but 41
        yards in the air is all the bomb we need to force safeties to respect
        the deep ball. This is essential for our short passing attack to
        have the range to net first downs rather than 8 yards and punt.

        > ***** I am leaning very heavily toward OLT as our primary need,
        despite my
        > long-standing moaning about LBs. It certainly ranks in the top 3,
        IMO.
        > OLT/LB/DL, in order of the best available athlete - first on the FA
        market,
        > then in the draft.

        Gads I hate draft talk in a playoff hunt but I will point out my
        personal note on this front is that linebackers are plentiful in free
        agency and we SERIOUSLY need a cornerback to replace Old T I S. The
        Myers watch as Freak noted - isn't looking great right now.
      • philw1776@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 11, 2002

          <patsfangr@h...> wrote:
          >> I really do think Seymour had a top notch game today - maybe he's
          an
          > end of the season performer? :)
          >
          > ***** In that case, it must be time to run out J.R. Redmond! :-)

          Faulk certainly has picked up his play well but I won't forget how
          clutch Redmond was for us in the playoffs.  What did he do to get
          demoted to BB's doghouse?  I think he's gone after this season and I
          will be sad to see him go after what he helped achieve against
          Oakland in the Snow-Bowl and St. Louis in the Big Dance!

          Maybe it was something about Belichick's dog...

          -philw (my brother's wife ran over his CEO's dog)
        • George The Patsfan
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 11, 2002
            From: "PatriotZip <patriotzip@...>" <patriotzip@...>
            To: patriotzip@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: [patriotzip] Re: Quick Thoughts
            Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 04:29:19 -0000

            Faulk certainly has picked up his play well but I won't forget how
            clutch Redmond was for us in the playoffs. What did he do to get
            demoted to BB's doghouse? I think he's gone after this season and I
            will be sad to see him go after what he helped achieve against
            Oakland in the Snow-Bowl and St. Louis in the Big Dance!

            ***** Good question, Zip. There wasn't anything specific in a particular
            game that I can recall. And the last comments I remember about him noted
            that he was a better blocker in pass protection than is Faulk. He was, as
            you said, so very effective in those playoff games that I was looking
            forward to seeing more of that, but, as we know, there was little use of any
            RB in the first half of the season. And it's been all Faulk, who *is* doing
            a good job, since. I suspect that BB may be down on J.R.'s ability to play
            with pain. He missed a few games with injuries that may not have been that
            bad. Just guessing. Maybe J.R. will join Hayes and Graham as "secret
            weapons" for the stretch run and playoffs? :-) (There really is a hell of a
            lot of "potential" in those 3 as a group, isn't there?)

            Gads I hate draft talk in a playoff hunt but I will point out my
            personal note on this front is that linebackers are plentiful in free
            agency and we SERIOUSLY need a cornerback to replace Old T I S. The
            Myers watch as Freak noted - isn't looking great right now.

            ***** True. Goes back to what I said the other day about our lack of
            knowledge of BB's opinion on the progress of current young backups. Myers at
            CB and Womack at RB certainly have a major influence on how to prioritize
            those two positions. And then at CB there's also our R3 pick from 2 years
            ago, taken instead of a LB, Brock Will ..... oh, no, he's gone, isn't he?
            ;-)

            George 665 + 36 =
            ** World Champion N E Patriots **

          • Rob Bosch
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 11, 2002
              Unlike Zip I always enjoy some good draft talk no matter what time of year
              it is, so here goes. George you bring up a good point regarding Womack. I
              have definitely become a person that feels the Pats need to draft a stud RB
              next year. I like Antowain Smith, but he is just too slow to the hole and he
              doesn't scare opposing defenses. While I think there are plenty of other
              holes to fill on this team...particularly at LB and DE...I feel the running
              back position must be upgraded. Now whether the Pats feel that way is a
              different story. They have seen Womack on the practice field, and obviously
              evaluated him very closely. We, on the other hand, have no clue what this
              kid can do. Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that BB is a very big Antowain
              Smith fan. I think BB likes the big bruising type of back as opposed to the
              smaller, quicker guy. So it is very possible that the Pats will not take a
              running back early in the draft, and instead rely on Antowain and hope that
              Womack will develop. As a matter of fact I would surprised if they did draft
              a RB.

              As for CB, Leonard Meyers has the rest of this year to prove he can stay
              healthy and play well. If he looks like a player I don't think you will see
              the Pats draft a CB early. Besides, if the Pats could improve the pass rush
              that would automatically make every CB on the roster look a lot better (I
              think that DE is the position of greatest need on the team). Besides,
              O-T-I-S has really looked a lot better these last few games. I know that
              he's as old as dirt, but I really do have to give this guy a lot of credit.

              -Pats Freak