Re: [patriotzip] Coffin Corner Volume 34 Number 6 Coach Ranking Article Chart [1 Attachment]

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2013
      Came through, Ed, but very small, and sideways. Maybe you can give it another try when you have more time.

      But I doubt that I'll join the site. On my income, I'd rather not lay out $35 for information beyond what's available to me free. I rarely need that kind of remote detail. But thanks for the thought.

      On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 8:40 PM, Ed Bryant <edbryant36@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Ed Bryant included below]

      George, I will finish most of your reply to me later, but I switched on the computer here at 8 30 AM, needing to get dressed to be in Court in half an hour, to scan an attachment to you.

      I recommend profootballresearchers.org, if only for the gamebooks, which is why I joined in the first place.  It's $35 US per year.  The organization's publication is called Coffin Corner, and I just opened the most recent Coffin Corner this morning.  A government employee annoyed me by failing to say whether Duke Slater is related to Jackie and Matthew, but hey, I'd never heard of Duke Slater before his article!  The very next article when I turned the page is entitled "Ranking the NFL Head Coaches," and it came with a chart, so I endeavored to scan the chart to you, which I hope to do, just as soon as I finish this sentence, click on "attach," and attempt to find the "file" that represents the chart; here goes!

      Nope.  I'll have to try another scan!  Here goes!  Ah! It saves to "pictures."  Take two!  I think it worked this time.

      I have to run, and this is a bit apples and oranges with your recent undertaking, but here it is!  Happy New Year, and don't take any broken bahts!

      #2 this year.)
      4. Only 4 of these coaches have a winning percentage of .700 or better
      in Playoff games: Lombardi, Belichick, Gibbs, Walsh, and, believe it
      or not, Flores.
      5. Special recognition should be given to the great coaches in NFL
      history who launched this game toward what it has become. While the
      game was too much different then in terms of equipment, rules, and,
      most importantly, athletes and level of competition, to compare to
      today's numbers; those intangibles I referred to earlier were still
      the thing that made for success in this most physical of team sports.
      So hats off, and a sincere "Thank you", to:
      - George Halas 318 wins from 1920 to 1967;
      - Curley Lambeau 226 wins from 1021-1953;
      - Steve Owen 151 wins from 1931 to 1953.
      6. And I'll also give a tip of the hat to other coaches who, while not
      meeting my standards for this list, won over 125 games during this
      modern era. They are:
      - Marty Shottenheimer 200 wins from 1977-2006, but 5-13 in the
      Playoffs. An infamous "choker" in big games.
      - Dan Reeves 190 wins from 1977 to 2003, but a meager .535 winning
      percentage, and 4 SB losses.
      - Chuck Knox 186 wins from 1973-1994, but just 7-11 in the Playoffs,
      and no Conference Championships.
      - Mike Holmgren, a tough cut, with 160 wins from 1989-2008, a .592
      winning percentage, plus 1 SB win, but he doesn't pass either of my 2
      criteria - a .600 winning percentage, and/or 2 SB wins.
      - Bud Grant 158 wins from 1967-1985, and a .622 winning percentage,
      but those haunting 4 SB losses.
      - Jeff Fisher 149 wins from 1989 to present, but only 5-6 in the
      Playoffs and 1 "near miss" in the SB. But he's good. He may make a
      "greatest coaches" list before he's done.
      - Marv Levy 143 wins from 1978 to 1997, but "ditto" the Bud Grant
      fate, with 4 SB losses.
      - Hank Stram 131 wins from 1960 to 1977, but his .575 percentage and
      single SB win keep him off the list, despite some of the best sound
      bites in NFL TV history.
      - Andy Reed 130 wins from 1999 to 2012, but a .583 percentage and no
      SB rings have him on the street, and off this list.
      - Weeb Ewbank 130 wins, but 129 losses, which, despite his 1 "anomaly"
      SB win does not get him a spot on the "greatest" list.
      - Jim Mora 125 wins, but a .541 percentage and an 0-6 record in the
      PLAYOFFS? WE'RE TALKING ABOUT PLAYOFFS?!

      And that's a great place to close an item related to NFL Head Coaches! :-)

      Data source: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/

      Except, of course, for this never to be forgotten note, taken from
      Wikipedia, in the game which should have set the Patriots up for their
      first Super Bowl win back in 1976. It was the best team the Patriots
      ever had, until the Belichick/Brady era.
      (Words enclosed in [ ] are my comments ... not that I'd have to tell you that!)

      *** Divisional playoffs
      December 18, 1976
      AFC: Oakland Raiders 24, New England Patriots 21
      The Patriots scored first after an 86-yard drive was capped by running
      back Andy Johnson's 1-yard touchdown run. However, Oakland scored 10
      straight points, including a 31-yard touchdown reception to wide
      receiver Fred Biletnikoff with 39 seconds left in the first half. The
      Patriots then scored two touchdowns of their own in the third period
      to regain the lead, 21-10. In the fourth quarter, the Raiders marched
      70 yards to score on a 1-yard touchdown run by Mark van Eeghen to pull
      it to 21-17. Late in the final period, a Patriots drive that
      threatened either a clinching score or running out the game clock was
      stopped after Raiders linebacker Phil Villapiano was able to hold
      Patriots tight end Russ Francis on a third-down pass play without
      drawing a pass interference penalty [ACTUALLY, the bastard broke
      Francis' nose with an elbow to the face! - NO FLAG!], stalling the
      drive and leading to a missed 50-yard field goal attempt. On the
      ensuing Raiders drive, a controversial roughing the passer penalty
      called by referee Ben Dreith [NOBODY but Drieth thought that was
      roughing the passer!! Not even the Raiders fans seated around me in
      the stadium!] on Patriots tackle Ray "Sugar Bear" Hamilton nullified a
      third down incompletion and gave the Raiders an automatic first down
      deep in New England territory (instead of 4th and 18). The call setup
      Stabler's game-winning touchdown. Biletnikoff finished the game with 9
      receptions for 137 yards and a touchdown. Oakland avenged its only
      loss of the year, which came at the hands of the Patriots. [The
      Raidahs went on to win the Super Bowl that season, handing Bud Grant
      one of his 4 Super Bowl defeats. Shoulda been the Patriots!]

      -- George

      --
      -- George

      --