Re: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Miami)

  • frankdanabrewster
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 2, 2013
      The direct snap play was great. Something you'd see on Youtube. And Mallet in punt formation was creative as well. I wonder if they actually had something on for that punt, or just looking to confuse Miami.

      Your so right about the run game making play-action pass so effective. But you also mention the draw; a play we haven't used that much. You could call it a play-action run. Since we can both pass and run effectively this year, we can keep defenses guessing by faking run or pass. Gotta love it!

      Looks like Ninkovich may have dodged a bullet. Now if Talib and Dennard make good progress, I'm feelin' good about this defense; especially with our depth.

      fdb

      --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, "Levine, David" <david-levine@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > - The play after the fumble recovery was nearly disastrous but I say the problem was not on Ridley but the design. With Brady under center and a blitzer coming straight up the middle, Ridley had to wait for Brady to clear out of the way before he could come over and make a block. Brady was slow (or the D was fast) and Ridley didn't have time to move to the left. This was a similar play a few weeks ago with Hooman and Ridley in the backfield with nearly the same result. Put Tom in the shotgun and give the RB a chance.
      > - No Talib and no Dennard again. They need to use the bye to get healthy.
      > - We had 3 false start penalties that could have hurt us against a better team. We can't give away yards like that in the playoffs.
      > - Ninkovitch is hurt and doesn't finish because of a hip injury. I hope it is just a bruise and he will be ok in 2 weeks.
      > - 4th and 7, late in the game, the good teams convert or get stopped by a good D. Bad teams drop passes to wide open players for first downs. Guess which category Miami belongs in.
      > - Equipment manager Don Brocher dies from leukemia. He was the longest tenured member of the Pats with 17 years.
      >
      > The Ugly
      > - The overturned call on the Welker fumble was the correct call and handled correctly by the refs. There were 3 possibilities. At first, I thought Wes bobbled the ball and then regained possession while on his knees by pinning the ball to his butt. He would have been ruled down by contact before the ball was taken away and returned. The ball, however, clearly hit the ground as an incompletion. Would have loved to have a butt catch to go along with the butt fumble from Sanchez.
      > - Reggie Bush needed 30 yard to get 1000 for the year and he knew it too. When he got that 15 yard run in garbage time at the end of the game and was tackled, he threw the ball in disgust because he knew he was short. Way to be a team player. Maybe he should have been more upset about the late fumble in scoring position or the drop on a key 3rd down pass. Nope. Pissed he didn't get 1000 yards.
      > - I don't normally watch random college bowl games but I watched some of the Outback Bowl between Michigan and S Carolina. What I did see was the refs royally screwing up a first down call when it was clearly short. They brought out the chains to measure on a 4th down conversion after a fake punt and ruled it a 1st down even though the ball was a few inches before the stick. I don't know how you miss something like this. It is an arbitrary placement of the ball in the first place but once you bring out the chains, they are pretty precise.
      > - Why did Miami try that FG? You saw NE forgo the try because of the wind. The kick started wide right and ended up way left by the time it got there. I would have gone for it.

    • Levine, David
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 16, 2013
        The Good
        - Both Minitron and Amendola had great games. Both guys were our offence. They both also avoided the huge hit, keeping them healthy.
        - What a catch by Hooman. That was as good as it gets right there.
        - Blount continues to be a nice surprise. He makes contact and then just keeps going.
        - We came out a lot faster than usual. We were moving the ball but just couldn't sustain the drives all the time. Much better playing from ahead than not.
        - McCourty isn't afraid to take anyone on and is usually in perfect position to make a textbook tackle.
        - Devlin needs to see the ball a couple of times a game. He is a load at fullback and made a few really nice blocks to open up holes for the running back.
        - At least Denver and Cincy lost as well so we are still in line for the 2 seed with a shot at 1.

        The Bad
        - The red zone offence is anemic. We just don't have any plays other than throw it to Gronk. Where were are big TEs? Surely we can get one of them open since no one is paying attention to them.
        - Solder goes down and because everyone else on the OL is broken, we move Mankins out and stick another rookie on the inside. We are just decimated by injury.
        - Why were both Hightower and Spikes on the field for the last TD? That was clearly a passing down and we had the run stuffers in. Neither can cover and both are slow.
        - As good as Ghost has been all season, it sucks that he both missed a makeable FG and then shanked one out of bounds.
        - Why have we gone away from Ridley. He has not fumbled given the opportunity and really makes some nice plays out there.
        - We didn't do anything with Vereen all game. We never got the ball in his hands. He is a key guy and there is no reason we can't get him open from the backfield.
        - We have not created any turnovers lately. That is how our D wins games for us but we can't get the O on a short field.
        - We are going to have our hands full in the upcoming years. Tannahill is going to be a really good QB. He is almost there now.
        - 3rd and long, we give up huge yardage to make it 4th and 5. We hold them to a shorter gain and we force a punt. 4th down we blitz and get the guy in space but can't make the tackle and they convert.
        - Amendola needs to be about 2 inches taller and we score at the end of the game. Just wasn't strong enough to hold onto the ball when the defender hit it.

        The Ugly
        - Doink off the facemask? Classic.
        - Can we please play a complete game. We came out well. Faltered in the 3rd quarter and finished strong. Let's put 4 quarters together and win a damn game without this heart attack.
        - The Cowboys meltdown in the 2nd half. Huge lead that just evaporated on the arm of Romo and his interceptions.
        Dave

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 16, 2013

          Good analysis….as usual. I do appreciate it!!

          It does seem to be a factor with us not playing the full game. To be near the first place spot and not playing complete games at times?

          Imagine where we’d be if we did play complete all the time.

          This season is strange on a lot of levels for sure.

          The good teams have some bad games, the good teams play many teams with losing records, and it’s anyone’s game.

          That Cowboys game was well beyond ugly…George is probably chucking at my annoyance…lol!

          Also, add to ugly…Eli and his 5 interceptions. Man, this isn’t his year is it? Of course the Hags are going to win with that horrendous performance on the other side.

          Well, go Pats for next game.

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 16, 2013
            I'll add one more ugly for you, Dave. The Patriots pathetic Kick Return game MUST be fixed for next season! ST Coach Scott O'Brien was hired in Feb 2009.

            Over the 5 seasons that he's had the job, the Patriots rankings in KR's have been: 2009 - 15th; 2010 - 18th; 2011 - 29th; 2012 - 25th; 2013 - 26th.

            In the 5 seasons preceding O'Brien: 2004 - 9th; 2005 - 14th; 2006 - 1st; 2007 - 4th; 2008 - 3rd.

            WHAT''S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE???

            Week after week; KR after KR, we see our return guys come out of the end zone, and be almost immediately faced with about 5 or 6 opposing team defenders. There's no where to run! It's not the players returning the kicks. O'Brien's blocking schemes are, IMO, the problem.

            Those numbers above speak for themselves. Take a look around the league. You'll see that Leon Washington has had great success with Tennessee since signing with them 2 weeks ago. Brandon Tate returns for the Bengals, and they're 4th in the NFL. Since O'Brien took over, the Patriots have used several guys (Edelman, Slater, Woodhead, McCourty) who have the speed and moves to get much better results than we've seen. But they all end up running into a damn wall of defenders well before they reach the 20 yard line.

            IMO, 5 straight seasons of failure is enough. When the last 3 of them have seen the team wallow at 25th or below in Kick Returns, it's time for a change. I know that Belichick is famous for his loyalty to his coaches. O'Brien spent 5 seasons with him in Cleveland; and was STs Coach of the Year there in 1994. But, for whatever reason, he's clearly lost it. This team is woefully ineffective in blocking for kick returns. There's got to be a better STs coach out there; and Belichick should go find one this off season.

            --- George
            Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 9, 2014
              Sorry, it's gotta be a quick one. I am buried with work.

              The Good
              - The first half looked good. The O was rolling. Mixing up the pass and the run.
              - I have to say other than 1 play, Revis is as advertised. Nothing more he could do on the TD. Knock the ball down but it was still caught.
              - Everyone came out healthy.
              - I like the way our new TE moves. Long and lanky.
              - Edelman continues to play well.
              - We are getting turnovers. This will be an opportunistic D all year.

              The Bad
              - Whatever adjustments we made at halftime, we should never do that again. We went away from the short passes and stopped running the ball. The D looked a step slow and we stopped clogging the middle.
              - Vince doesn't look completely healthy. Neither does Mayo. I hope it is just an early in the season thing.
              - Special teams mistakes is something that will get you dropped from the team. We need a new long snapper. Don't care if Mesko could have caught it. The snap was too low.
              - Everyone looked tired toward the end. Were we not ready for the heat?
              - The OL needs time to gel. That was not a good performance.

              The Ugly
              - Ray Rice video. Is there anything that can top that?
              - A distant second is seeing Antonio Brown kicking the kicker in the head when he "tried" to hurdle him. Looked deliberate to me.
              - I am very tired, already, about the roughing the QB calls. How can a DE who is bigger than the QB get low enough to completely avoid head contact if he is suppose to keep his head up and not hit with the top of the helmet? May as well as rush on his knees.

              Dave
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 9, 2014

                Thanks Dave…don’t kill yourself with work!!

                Good analysis…I was going to say that you were generous on the “good”, but I think that you have some good points.

                If we can just tweak things along it most likely will gel soon.

                Defense might be better than we’ve seen in recent years.

                I also hope that we were caught off guard by the heat and the Fish in general.

                YES…there IS something that can top the Ray Rice video.

                It’s the fact that the woman married him right after that and stays with him and whines that the NFL is taking away his livelihood (sp?).

                To that, I say what the…is it just about the moolah or is it something else we’re not finding out about?

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 9, 2014

                  If all she stayed for is the money, they’ll be divorced (or headed to divorce court) by Christmas, because I doubt he’ll ever be back in the NFL

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 16, 2014
                    The GBU with a Razor's Edge twist...

                    The Good
                    - We don't lose the hat and shirt games. I like the fact that very few players were wearing them, indicating there is a different hat and shirt they want.
                    - We got our 3rd blocked kick this year, setting a franchise record. We almost had another one later. Collins is really playing well and has become a person you need to scheme for.
                    - Congrats to Ghost who passed Vin for the most points in franchise history. Both are fantastic kickers and hold a special place for all Pats fans. I can't believe Vin is still going strong. It seems like he left us so long ago. He is only 20 points behind the drunken kicker Vanderjagt for career leader and has played 3 more games for Indy. Almost wish Ghost waited so Vin could hold both records at once but I'm glad I go to see it in person. Ghost has plenty more left and should crush this record by the time he's done.
                    - BB is now tied with Lambeau for 5th most wins in football history with 229. Next up is Paul Brown at 230. It will be a while to get to Landry at number 3 with 270.
                    - Revis was targeted 5 times for 3 receptions for 23 yards. This guy just takes away everything on half the field. He is the most important player on the team after Brady.
                    - Crazy legs does it again. He runs for 17 on 3rd and long at a key time in the game and then tries to lower the boom on some poor DB. The second part didn't go so well but that was fun to watch and the crowd went wild. Almost any other QB does that and you don't get that type of reaction. It was his 3rd longest run in his career. He had a 22 yarder in 2006 and a 19 yarder in 2007 (I had to look it up). Surprised he didn't slide but taking the hit fired everyone up.
                    - Jonas Gray provided a spark to the offence after the half. He ran with more power and speed than Blount and seemed to hit the hole a lot faster. Blount has seemed tentative over the last 3 weeks. Nice to see Gray make the best of a limited opportunity. We need both in the playoffs.
                    - Edelman just keeps going and going and going. The first drive of the game was all #11. Other than the one bad drop on an easy ball (which didn't matter as we still scored), he did everything.
                    - Both Jones and Hightower returned and looked very good. Jones gives our pass rush a different dynamic and had 7 tackles and 1.5 sacks. Hightower has really become a good leader on the D and is moving well for a big guy. Both are playing at a very high level.
                    - The OL got back into the swing of things. TB12 was barely touched all game against a good pass rush. I don't remember hearing Wake's name called once.
                    - We are playing for something next week. With a win, we clinch a first round bye and a shot at home field advantage. No reason to overlook the Jets.
                    - The D is tackling well. There was a short pass on into the flat where a first down continues the drive. Ryan squared up, didn't let the receiver go anywhere and made the play. I am seeing that all over the field.
                    - We set a franchise record and scored 24 points in the third quarter. Considering we shut another team out after the half, we turned a close game into a blowout early.
                    - I have yet to be disappointed at the Razor's Edge Tailgate. The food was good, the friends were great, the weather was perfect. Ben and I had a fantastic time before and after the game. Everyone is always so inviting. Met some new people and had a lot of fun. I wish I were a little closer (and richer) so I could go to more than 1 a year but it gives us something to look forward to. Next year, with Ben in high school, I won't have to worry about Sunday games so I should be able to go to an early game when it's even warmer. I'll bring my wife next year as well.
                    - At halftime, they did a scratch card 2nd chance drawing. Guy had to pick one giant card out of 30 on the field. Smallest prize was $100K. 8 cards had $100K, 7 cards had $200K and so on. Guy went out, picked #12 in honor of Brady and opened up $1,000,000. Pretty exciting.
                    - So much fun to be in the stadium. We had good seats even if most of the action was at the other end of the field. It is always different to see the game in person and watch what you want to other than what is shown on TV. You can watch the DBs do their thing or focus on a single pass rusher. You can also see the whole play develop instead of focusing on the QB the whole time.

                    The Bad
                    - How the hell do you let a team score when you have the ball with 1 minute to go in the half. I understand going 3 and out but to not try is inexcusable. So we punt and allow a huge return immediately putting them in FG range. Now with 11 seconds and no time outs, there are 2 plays. An out or a home run ball. We single cover Wallace and give up the TD. We had consecutive screw ups. The worst is the punt return. If we stop them on the other side of mid field (10-15 yard return), they are throwing a hail Mary for a TD or something mid range to try and get 3. Instead we put them in FG range with the poor coverage and let them take a shot. We should have had everyone at the goal line and concede the 3 instead of the 7.
                    - Of the 3 penalties they called on Browner, only 1, in my opinion, was real. The first illegal contact/hold/PI was legit. He grabbed the WR's arm. If he didn't, it would have been a complete pass for longer than the penalty. The second PI was bogus. Both were hand fighting and there was nothing that inhibited the defender from catching the ball except good position and an overthrow. The personal foul was ridiculous. The WR was still fighting to go forward, Browner drove him back and tackled him. What do you want him to do? He played to the whistle, which was well after forward progress was stopped. The ref needed to blow the whistle earlier if he doesn't want that to happen. He is being targeted because he is aggressive and violent and has a reputation. He did get away with an early hit on the INT though. It was bang/bang but still probably a little early.
                    - With the Bills winning, we are going to have a fight on our hands the last week of the season. They will be playing for a playoff spot and we will be playing for home field advantage.
                    - Just when the line was getting back together and jelling for the playoffs, Connolly goes down with a neck injury. Hopefully is was one of those things where the score dictated that he not return. Arrington's injury is just as concerning as he has been playing well as the 3rd corner. He needs to get healthy for the playoffs but hammys can linger.
                    - Nice to see Bledsoe at the game but it would have been nice to announce him at some point. He would have received a warm welcome.

                    The Ugly
                    - I know the NFL has some random rules and I thought I knew them all. Here's one I just learned. If an ineligible player plays an eligible position, he must come off the field for 1 play prior to going back to an ineligible position. When we went with 6 linemen, Cannon came in at left tackle and Solder was announced as an eligible player (at TE). They ran this way for 3 or 4 consecutive plays. Then Solder came off the field for a play, Cannon stayed on as LT. Next play, Solder comes in as LT and Cannon is out. What a strange rule.
                    - I couldn't find my video game controller last night when watching the Eagles/Cowboys game. Was there any D involved at all?
                    - Listening to the radio as I drove home from the game I heard the funniest line about the Titans/Jets game. "We are into the bullpens in the top of the seventh with Tennessee leading 6 to 5. I am glad I didn't see any of this game. Heard about the brawl but have not seen the highlights yet so I will put it in the ugly column on reputation alone.
                    - With the win, the Jets drop from 2nd to 6th in draft order.

                    Dave