Re: [patriotzip] New NFL format?

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 15, 2012
      I think all fans, all players, and most, if not all coaches, agree with the idea of reducing the pre-season games by one. But, without adding another game, the owners would never go for it. As for bye weeks, I get selfish on that issue. I'm a fantasy football player, so I hate staggered bye weeks. I'd like to see a single bye week in mid-season for all teams. But, as is the case with reducing pre-season games, the owners will never do it. They're too afraid of losing revenue, even with some sort of "mid-season review" programming to fill a couple of hours during that week. Now that they're playing on 3 days every week, there's no way they'll leave a week without 'live' football.

      As for the owners' proposal of expanding the playoffs, I seriously doubt that an honest poll would reveal more than 10% of NFL fans want that to happen! Same for an 18 game regular season schedule. We have too many injuries already, and there is no doubt that more regular season and/or playoff games would increase injuries.

      By the way, I'd like to see a study of the injuries to players in Thursday night games, which give players only 3 days rest before their next game. I'd like to eliminate those games, which, IMO, make it tougher on teams (both coaches and players) to prepare for them. Sunday and Monday is fine for fans. It's only owners' greed that supports the idea of a Thursday night game every week.

      On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 12:36 AM, frankdanabrewster <frank.dana@...> wrote:

      There's a lot of talk about reformatting the NFL season. More regular season games, more playoff teams, etc. I'm sure we all have our opinions. Personally, I think the "if it ain't broke" axiom works well here.

      It is not in the interest of player safety (which Goodell claims is paramount in his mind) to play 18 games. There will obviously be more injuries. As far as more playoff teams; do we really want to see 7-9 teams (or worse) in the playoffs? To me, they have not earned it. If it were the Patriots, I would say the same thing. If they get lucky, and knock off a 13-3 team in round one, is anyone really going to think that they are the better team? Just doesn't work for single elimination playoffs.

      But, I did have an idea that might help the league, and player safety also. (1) Eliminate the 4th pre-season game. Coaches need pre-season to evaluate and prepare. This allows for that, but reduces risk to players. (2) Begin the season one week earlier, where the 4th PS game was. (3) Each team gets 2 bye weeks. These byes would be equally spaced. One group of teams has a bye on wks 5 and 9, other groups on wks 6 and 10, 7 and 11, and 8 and 12 (or some similar scheme). This lengthens the regular season by a week (17 to 18 weeks), which helps the league with revenue, and contributes to player safety by giving players two weeks off during the season.

      I'd be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on this.

      -- George