The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Texans)

  • Levine, David
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 11, 2012
      The Good
      - Stallworth's one handed grab for the score was great. It happened just as I was going to write down that we should stop throwing deep.
      - Slater drew at least 2 penalties on special teams. It's the little things that we sometimes overlook in games like this.
      - The play fakes we had were incredible. We ran the stretch fake 3 different times. First was a bomb to Lloyd, next was a pass to Hernandez and 3rd was a pass to Welker. Same design, 3 different routs out of it.
      - Was there any doubt that Brady wanted this game? Look as his reaction after the Lloyd TD and then after the first down run. The man hates to lose. His control was evident when Hernandez went in motion and Stallworth was supposed to. Brady got them to stop, reset, and then sent Stallworth in motion.
      - MVP? Unless AP gets the record (which he very well could), Brady has to be the choice over Manning.
      - McCourty played the INT perfectly and was in position throughout the game.
      - Dennard played very well against a great receiver in Johnson.
      - Did anyone hear Owen Daniels's name called? Great D.
      - Vince is having his best year. He rarely comes off the field and dominates when he is in there.
      - We sent 5 guys more than I have ever seen us and it worked. We only got 2 sacks but Mayo hit Schaub multiple times just as he was throwing it, never letting him set his feet and step into the throw. What a job.
      - JJ Watt didn't have a sack but he hit Brady more than anyone else. The hustle to chase down Woodhead was impressive. BB hunted him down after the game and said something to him. I don't think he had a batted pass or a sack either.
      - I love the "kick down the door" celebration by Ridley and also like the "make it rain" by Hernandez. Foster's bow is pretty good too.
      - A couple of 4th down stops were big for us. Arrington broke up the first one and then pressure on the 2nd forced a bad throw.
      - The D was there all night long and really only lost it for 1 drive in the 3rd quarter. Other than that, they were fantastic against a very good O.
      - Hoomanawanui continues to play a great FB for us. Great seal block on the Ridley TD.
      - Up 3 TDs in the 4th Q and we put together another drive that eats up the clock by running the ball and ending it with a TD. Impressive.
      - Nice to get the guys healthy again. C Jones played along with Mankins and Connolly.

      The Bad
      - Maybe you should cover Hernandez. Just sayin. It's not like it's Welker out there. Hernandez is 6-1, 245, not a small man.
      - Talib got hurt on a nice play to break up a pass. I hope it's just precautionary that he didn't come back in. He has been playing great. Fozzie tweaked a hammy and then Arrington gets hit by his own guy. 3 CBs down is tough.
      - When a D doesn't work, maybe you should change it. Brady comes up to the line, sees man coverage, checks out of the run into shotgun and makes the play. He looked giddy at times knowing that he had the perfect play for the D.
      - Welker dropped a couple that he should have had. Not a bad time to have an off night.
      - I wasn't impressed by the officials. PI on Hernandez was non-existent and it killed a drive for us. PI on Manning when he hit Welker was also a bogus call.
      - Spikes still looks lost in pass coverage.
      - There were a couple of mental breakdowns. Too many men penalty and then having to call time out with too many men. We also looked lost on a couple of other sets as well but we managed.

      The Ugly
      - Bob Bellichick? Really? Trump is even a bigger idiot that I gave him credit for.
      - All night, the announcers were lamenting how the Houston O wasn't the same because they lost their 2nd TE. Um, they do realize that we lost probably the best TE in the league and continue to motor right along.
      - "Walk it off, Santa"
      - RG3's leg. It's not supposed to bend that way, is it?
      - It was warmer in Foxborough (59) than it was in Houston (47).

        Dave

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 11, 2012
          David,

          I would add one more to the Good pile ....

          Danny Woodhead made one heck of a blitz pickup against a LB twice his size.  He stuffed him right in the hole and never gave an inch, stopping him in his tracks.  A little thing but when adding up all those little things and you have a dominating win!

          Mark Morse
          Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 26, 2016
            The Good
            - How does it feel to start the season 3 and 0? Oooohhh yeah.
            - BB actually sounded like he was gushing over Jacoby and his play. He seems like a smart kid and is working hard and getting better. Managed the game well and didn't make any critical mistakes. No turnovers. Loved that he gave his TD ball to BB because he promised not to give it away.
            - The entire coaching staff was rock solid. Everyone got the team ready to play a tough opponent on a short week with a depleted team.
            - Player of the game, in my eye, was Ryan Allen. This guy constantly pinned Houston deep in their own end, forcing them to drive a long way for a score. He was nothing short of amazing. 7 punts with 6 inside the 13 and a long of 57. Field position is such a weapon and he won it for us.
            - All of special teams was great. Short kickoffs forcing a return. Houston started inside the 25 almost every time. 2 forced fumbles giving us a short field. What else can you ask for? Houston's average start position was the 16 while the Pats started at the 40.
            - Chris Long was a nice pickup for us. He has fit right in with the team and has always been a team first guy. Glad Dola helped to lure him here. He has really stepped up with Ninkovich out.
            - Blount again carried the load in the running game and really helped out the young QB. Another reclamation project that worked out for us. He has been great. Also, love the celebration with the militia in the end zone. Fun for the crowd.
            - Jamie Collins is a beast. He can really do anything on the field. The pick was just so fluid. Nice backpedal, never really sat down, switched his hips, caught the ball with his hands and headed up field. Textbook.
            - Congrats to BB for passing Lambeau on the all-time wins list. He now sits all alone in 4th behind Shula, Halas, and Landry. He has a shot a passing Landry (needs 25 more) but seems to be out of reach of the other 2 guys.
            - Jet sweep to the TE? Sure, why not.
            - WR blocking downfield. Our guys sell out. Watch Mitchel on the Jacoby keeper. He held his block and didn't just cut the guy. Edelman pancaked someone. Dola and Hogan were also involved.
            - Love me some big Vince. I hope that BB found him after the game. I know he was looking around for someone and I could only assume it was him. Nice that we had a video tribute for him and he could be recognized for everything that he did for this franchise.
            - We have outscored our opponents 34-0 in the first quarter. It's a lot easier to play from ahead. We have only been behind for just over 6 minutes this year, tied for 24 and ahead for over 149.
            - JJ Watt has now played us 5 times and he has a total of .5 sacks. He normally averages over 4 over that span.
            - Michael Irvin stated that he would rename his replica trophies the Belichick trophy if we won. Hopefully he keeps his promise.
            - Shannon Sharpe, that SOB, has officially stated that BB is the greatest coach in the history of the game. No questions.
            - Houston never threatened to score. They never entered the red zone and they never even crossed mid field until 2 to go in the 3rd quarter going as deep as the 36 yard line.
            - At one point, Ben said that it looked like the Pats were running his 8th grade offence. The QB sweep is directly from his old playbook. Keep it for when Brady comes back? That and the read option. Just another wrinkle to his game.
            - Ben had another good game with Portland beating up on Oxford Hills 36-7. He was overmatched at times on the offensive line going against a 250lb athletic defensive tackle but he held his own (literally in one case). He played well on D again, getting another 1.5 sacks, a big time QB hit forcing an incompletion and a fumble recovery. Had 4 or so solo tackles (counting the one where the RB ran him over. Ben held on for dear life though).

            The Bad
            - I am glad they used Gronk like they did. Not a full workload and he didn't get injured but I would have rather rested him again just to get him closer to 100%. If the plan was for him to go easy in route running just to knock some of the rust off, then move this up to the good category.
            - Cyrus needs to hold onto the ball. I know one of the fumbles was overturned and both were recovered by us but that doesn't fly on this team.
            - Apparently Brissett needs surgery on his finger. He injured himself in the 3rd quarter but it didn't seem to affect him. We need someone healthy for the Bills. My throwing accuracy is good if I'm needed but my range is a little limited.
            - Tyler Ervin can't be feeling too good about himself right now.
            - Logan Ryan was in perfect position 3 or 4 times but DeAndre Hopkins is just an elite player and made the tough catches.
            - I really wanted Butler to make that pick. Not for the turnover or the potential score but it was the super bowl play and it would have been fun to see the comparison again.

            The Ugly
            - BB's choice of attire. What the hell was that. Looked like something straight out of the 80s. Go back to the regular hoodie please. Even though that is not a good fashion statement, it is associated with you and accepted.
            - The Browns just suck. It would be painful to be a fan. First, they take a stupid 15 yard taunting penalty and then miss a 46 yard FG attempt to win. How bad can you be. What a mess they are. 4th QB starting in 4 weeks and they had a WR take a significant number of snaps in the wildcat because that 4th QB is terrible. Wow.
            - I don't think I have ever seen interference with a fair catch when the kicking player hit the ball before the returner had a chance. Right off the helmet.
            - Anyone see Cam Newton's press conference garb. Oh, this is the worst looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like that I bet you get a free bowl of soup huh? Oh, it looks good on you though.
            - Wasn't a big fan of the uniforms. Neither team seemed to be all that well designed. Our blue unis were almost identical to those of Houston, forcing them to go all white. I still say go red. As long as we don't play a green team, we are fine.
            - I pictured Jimmy G as being much faster than Brady and Jacoby being much faster than that. Jimmy's 40 time was 4.97 and Brissett had a 4.94. Neither are burners but faster than the 5.28 of TB12. Hell, Peyton Manning ran a 4.8
            - Arizona couldn't help us out and beat Buffalo? If we beat them and they started 0-4, Sexy Rexy would be out of a job.

            Dave
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 27, 2016

              Good review!!

              Usually you wait until after the Monday game?

              That was a shoot-out down in the Big Easy…Brees  and Co. aren’t looking too good this year.

              Falcons? Not sure if they are a contender or not…

              LOVE our standings and our overall chances.

              We do have some outstanding players for sure.

              One game at a time!

              Love the militia as well and I’m glad that I looked up its background.

              Did anyone catch the pirate ship in the end zone area of the Bucs’ new stadium?

              Guess they shoot cannons off but I love ours the best!!!!!!!!

              BB and his wardrobe? Very scroungy but if we get a W I don’t care what he or the team has on.

              I think that Landry and his suit and tie were a little bit over the top in the opposite direction.

              GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!

              Susan