Thank you, Alvin from Amherst

  • Rich Carreiro
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2012
      From Reiss's mailbag today:

      Q: After watching the game against Buffalo, I'm starting to
      question if New England is utilizing its LB corps correctly. With
      their skill set, they should blitz or stunt more on passing downs
      than staying in coverage. We've been heavily critical on the
      secondary, but it's been displayed on Sunday that some of the
      receptions are being completed to the TE or RB. Unless zone is
      being called, that responsibility usually falls on the LB in
      coverage. Brandon Spikes and Dont'a Hightower are much better in
      run coverage than pass coverage while Jerod Mayo is average in
      pass coverage at best. I'm aware that blitzing leaves the defense
      susceptible to the big play, but even dropping seven in coverage,
      the defense this season is still allowing those big
      plays. Perhaps rushing more than four on at least third downs
      will lead to more incompletions, perhaps not. As far as I can
      tell, New England doesn't have enough talent to get to the
      quarterback with only four rushers, so why not get creative? --
      Alvin (Amherst, Mass.)

      A: Alvin, I think you raise some excellent points. There were
      times in the game that the Patriots were dropping eight and we
      were still seeing some receivers who weren't just open, they were
      wide open. That has to be a concern. The counter, from the
      Patriots' perspective, is that they rushed three on the
      game-ending interception and it produced a turnover. Of course,
      we can argue if that was more a result of the Patriots' coverage,
      or the Bills' own ineptitude.

      --
      Rich Carreiro rich@...