The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Broncos)

  • Levine, David
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 8, 2012
      The Good
      - Our running game continues to impress. Over 200 yards for a second straight game and pretty much ran at will all day. All our guys are running hard.
      - The OL was great. Not only did they open up giant holes for the RBs, they kept Brady clean. I thought 3 of the 4 sacks they gave up were on Tom for not throwing the ball away. He had time, just waited too long.
      - Ninkovitch was left out last week but makes the list today. Monster game. 2 forced fumbles and a sack is good but there was constant pressure opposite Jones.
      - I know we play no huddle (call a play at the line, survey and snap) as well as hurry up (get to the line, quick call and snap). Never have I ever seen frantic. Holy cow. We just kept running play after play, never letting off the gas and it worked. I don't remember more than once where we really screwed up the call (goal line loss of 3 being the exception).
      - Even with the frantic play calling, we still held the ball for almost 36 minutes. We also accumulated 35 first downs, on 89 plays. Holy crap.
      - Our 3rd down conversion rate of 11 for 17 isn't all bad.
      - Loved the fact that we were so confident in our run game that we didn't need to challenge the Lloyd catch to see if he got into the EZ or was he down at the 1. Just went hurry up and Vereen punched it in.
      - Though he was beaten on the play, Moore made a nice play to punch the ball out, recover it, and turn it back up field. Great block on Thomas at the end of the run too.
      - Brady was damn good. He controlled the game pace and got everyone lined up and communicated the play. Love that he has confidence to not check out of runs.
      - McDaniels called a great game. Listened to Boomer on the radio this morning and talked about his last years in Cincy with Cory Dillon. Ran the hurry up and got the call from the bench most of the time. Said half the time he was so in sync with the O coordinator that he knew the play before it came in. Said the same was happening with Brady on a higher level. Confidence in the run will open the playbook to many more plays. A versatile back means you can run, keep him in to block, or split him wide for a pass.
      - Our D held Manning to only 21 points and created 3 turnovers. Yes, we gave up some yards at the end and some points but Denver was in desperation mode at that point.
      - Faulk is going to announce his retirement on Tuesday. Nice to see a great player go out without forcing 1 more year. Didn't want to play for anyone but the Pats and but we had no room for him. Was a FA so we didn't release him either. 3 time SB champ.
      - Nice to see Dennard get some minutes. He even made a play or 2.
      -

      The Bad
      - The execution of the 4th and 5. I don't mind going for it from that part of the field but if you had made the decision earlier in the down sequence, we could have run better plays. I would have run on 3rd down. Assume a modest gain of 2 or 3. That would leave us with 4th and 2 or 3 with the clock moving. Denver takes their 2nd time out. We then have the option to A) run, B) pass short, C) pass long or D) try to draw them offside, take the delay and punt. Don't like the pass on 3rd down. Brady takes a coverage sack leaving 4th and 6. Still don't mind going for it but we needed a quick play against an all out blitz, not what we did.
      - McCourty did not turn in the EZ and took another PI. His coverage was good, he just needed to look. On the TD he gave up, there was nothing he could have done. Just a spectacular throw and catch. His run support was excellent as well. Just needs to turn to the ball. Maybe make him a safety again. He can keep the play in front of him. He has great closing speed. He hits well. He is a fearless tackler. Perfect position for him.
      - Ridley fumbles on the last drive. What a great day ruined by one play. He was hard on himself too. No one wanted the D to come up with a stop more than he did.
      - McGahee screwed his team. Drops a sure 4th down conversion and then fumbles on the final drive when they are in field goal range
      - I understand why we rushed the play on 3rd and 1 before the half. By keeping our time out, we could either run or pass. Just didn't like the execution of the play.
      - Fells dropped an easy 1st down.

      The Ugly
      - Did Vince carry the ball out of play after the fumble recovery because it was out of air. When he dove on the ball, I felt the ground shake all the way up in Maine. Second, why is there even a scramble for the ball when Vince grabs it. Does anyone really think they could get it away from him? Anyone?
      - Wednesday night is cricket night in America. -Alec Baldwin as Jack Donaghy on 30 Rock.
      - Let's see. 3rd and 17 on our own 43. We need a play. I know. Left side run to Woodhead out of shotgun. Guaranteed to work. How did we convert that?
      - When Denver got flagged for too many men on the field and that number was 14, shouldn't it have been a 10 yard penalty instead of 5?
      - Wes was huge again. Loved his little jab at BB, which in all actuality was a jab at the media. I can't believe the stink this is making.
      - Could someone send a note to RG3 and remind him to run OOB? Learn how to slide, dummy.
      - Did anyone see the hit on Luck? It looked completely clean to me. Don't get it.
      - Brady's stats. 4 rushes, -2 yards, 1 TD. He almost cost the team 250 yards.

      Dave
    • Levine, David
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 2, 2013
        Sorry for the delay. I took a nice vacation and never got around to writing this up. Enjoy.

        The Good
        - What a football game. We were absolutely brilliant in the second half and turned a laugher into a classic game.
        - We never panicked. I, like most of you, probably thought this was a loss. After going down 17-0, I proclaimed we were all done. Never thought to turn off the game at the half down 24 and vowed to watch through it. Great drive to open the 2nd quarter. Screamed to get the fumble that bounced off of everyone. Officially thought we had a chance after Bolden ran it in. Knew we were going to take the lead after the Gronk TD. Thought we would roll after the Edelman TD. Dialed it back after the FG. Still had confidence after Denver tied it.
        - I actually like the decision to take the wind in OT. It was so strong, it was a 15 yard swing in the kicking game. Kickoffs would go through the end zone as opposed to landing at the 10 and returning it to the 30. Field goals were the big factor. Into the wind meant you needed the 20 to even attempt a try instead of the 35 with the wind. Plus, passing with the wind was a lot easier and you could actually go downfield. Think of it as a 12th defender.
        - I liked the play of Fletcher and Collins. Both added a lot of speed to the D and really helped with the pass coverage in the second half. Collins, in particular, made a spectacular play on Welker forcing him to drop the ball.
        - Allen was terrific punting the ball. Into the wind, he kept it low and line-drived it. The snap where it sailed 3 feet to the right was a nice play to catch it, set himself, and get us out of trouble. Holding the snaps for Ghost was just as good. That was not an easy task.
        - Love Brady's trip to Gronk land after the TD. He looked possessed. Anyone doubt his desire to win an never quit?
        - Gronk's post up for the TD was textbook. How do you stop that play?
        - Vereen really opens up our offence. He is so shifty out of the backfield and is a tough matchup for any linebacker. I understand letting Woodhead go when seeing him play.
        - There is so much to mention in the good category for the second half but credit has to be given to the D for holding the line against such a tough team All game, they only gave up 2 scoring drives. The first score was on the offence and the next 2 drives were on short fields (holding once for a FG). The drive just before the half was the only bad drive until giving up a score in the 4th quarter. Yes, we gave up a ton on the ground but Manning did not beat us.

        The Bad
        - 3rd and 20 leads to another 1st down. There are only 2 plays Denver would call. Either a screen or a draw. The screen went for almost 30 and we are still on D. We need to fix this part of the D.
        - Our run D is terrible. I understand that it's the game plan but we need to do something better with our front 4 guys.
        - I couldn't hear what the crowd response to Welker was at the beginning. I know they were cheering when he botched the punt return in OT through.
        - I hope Ridley cures his fumbling because we will need him in the playoffs. We can get by Houston and Cleveland without him but not Cincy or KC.
        - Spikes and Hightower can't help in the passing game. They are both way too slow and a liability on the field.
        - We need to hold onto the ball. We win because we own the turnover differential. We are giving the ball away too much and putting the D in a bind and killing offensive drives. This needs to be corrected.

        The Ugly
        - I don't know what the hell the first 3 series were. 3 fumbles on 6 plays? Wow.
        - No clocks were working in the first half. It only happens on the national stage.
        - They showed a quick snippet of Brady and Manning on SNL. Got to say that Manning is very good. Brady was stiff. Love the youth football game skit.
        - Can someone please tell Del Rio that his hat was inside out? He came out that way in the 2nd half as well.
        - On that note, what is with the hat on top of the hoodie look? That is just not right.
        - Refs were very questionable. They called PI on Edelman for a pick that wasn't half as bad as what Denver does every play. They then called hands to the face on Denver that was so minor that I couldn't see it in the replay. They missed a hold on Talib late in the 4th Q as well.
        - D. Rodgers-Cromartie hurts himself at the end of the half on a Hail Mary and doesn't play. There was no need to dive for the INT other than showing off. Serves him right.
        - On that note, the wind was so bad, Brady couldn't reach the end zone from the 50. He only threw it 40 yards. It looked like it stopped midway and just fell.

        Dave

        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 2, 2013

          Hey Dave,

          Good analysis….but under “Good” you better revise your first sentence.

          It should read: What a football game. We were absolutely brilliant in the second half because we cheated like madmen (tied their staff up and stole the secrets at halftime, no less).

          We couldn’t have won it or this one any other way.

          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 20, 2014
            The Good
            • What a year for an undermanned team.  Losing Wilfork, Kelly, Mayo and Spikes gutted our D.  Losing Gronk, Seabass and Hernandez gutted the O (don’t count Welker, Woodhead or Lloyd as we were not counting on them after not resigning them).  BB really coached up these youngins.
            • The rookies played valuable minutes all year which is good for next season.  Jones, Vellano and Siliga on the DL.  Collins at LB.  All the DBs.
            • I would much rather lose in this round than the Super Bowl for sanities sake.  I am far more invested in the Super Bowl as that is the final game.  At least this round we would have yet another game to play.  I am not really upset about this loss as I thought we were playing with house money since the middle of December.
            • Edelman is a keeper.  He is so shifty with the ball and can continually make players miss.  We need to resign him.

            The Bad
            • Our OL couldn’t keep 12 clean.  We needed to make a play and the line lets through a clean rusher.  3rd down rushes were getting to us without a blitz.
            • No pressure on Manning at all.  We didn’t hit him at all and very rarely did we actually force a bad throw.
            • Brady missed 2 long passes.  Both would have resulted in points.  The first was a TD to Edelman who was well behind the D.  The other would have put us in FG range at the end of the half.  Would have been big points.  This was not his best game.
            • I hate losing to Manning but I didn’t have much hope with the beaten up team we traveled with.
            • We need to find a cover corner in the draft.

            The Ugly
            • I still like Welker but how was that low hit on Talib not a penalty?  It should have been PI as the ball was in the air and going low on a player like that is just a cheap shot.  That injury changed the game completely.  Losing our best cover corner when we played nickel all day killed us.  After that, we had no chance of coming back.  BB thought the same thing.
            • Yes, Richard Sherman is the best CB in the league.  There is no way anyone should ever interview that tool again.  He is just a complete and utter moron who talks too much.  If it wouldn’t mean the Broncos winning the Super Bowl, I would love to see Manning torch his ass.
            • Watched the game at a friend’s house who is a big time Steelers fan.  He hates the Pats and thinks Brady is a pansy.  He consistently brings up the fact that we have not won the Super Bowl since we stopped cheating.  When I mention that we at least are still playing, his comeback is to say that’s great but the Steelers have a better draft pick.  No way to argue with him.  Anyone have suggestions?  Mentioned the most post season wins by a QB, most yards by a QB, most wins in the last 15 years, coach with 2nd most post season wins.  Nothing matters as the Steelers have more overall titles.  I am running out of ideas.

            David Levine
            Process Engineer
            Rapid Assay Solutions
            IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.
            One IDEXX Drive
            Westbrook, ME 04092
            207-556-8893
            207-632-4097 (cell)
            207-556-8665 (fax)

          • frankdanabrewster
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 20, 2014
              Great stuff as always, David. I think Blount is a keeper, too. The young kids got a lot of valuable playing time, due to all the injuries. Bodes well for this team next year. If we stay relatively healthy, there is no reason for us not to be in the thick of it yet again.

              There was also a bad pass to either Edelman or Amendola in the EZ. Had his man beat, and it sailed 6 feet over his head. Moss couldn't even have caught it.

              I thought our pass rush was improving near the end of the year. They definitely took the day off.

              As far as the Steelers fan is concerned, you can only argue the Brady/Belichick era. Face it. Before that, there wasn't much to cheer about. Since TB and BB there is no contest - regular season record, head to head record, playoff appearances, playoff record, super bowl appearances, super bowl wins, point differential, Brady vs R'berger (pick a stat). I don't think Pittsburgh wins any of those comparisons. If you're talking about the 70', that's a different story...  ;o)

              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 20, 2014
                My greatest disappointments with the Patriots in this game was the nearly total failure of our DL and OL.

                DL never got close enough to Manning to spit on him, let alone touch him; and that, even more than the loss of Talib, was the key to the success of the Broncos.

                Meanwhile, the OL rarely gave Brady time to set up; and NEVER moved the Broncos DL in the running game. If NFL players are supposed to be so "very close" in talent; how can the Patriots OL open holes the size of an expressway vs. Buffalo and Indianapolis; and leave nothing but a brick wall for Blount to run into vs. Denver? The OL was the key to the failure of the Patriots offense.

                Both the OL and the DL go all the way down into the "Ugly" category for me in this game. It was lost in the trenches.

                --- George
                Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 21, 2014

                  I agree with all of your assessments too!

                  Thanks for the columns and I guess this is it, huh?

                  Unless you’d want to do a Super Bowl column…if no one minds?

                  I’m high on Blount as well!

                  Hope Amendola can stay healthy too. And we’ll get Gronk back.

                  That’s harsh to keep hearing Steelers’ stats shoved in your face. As Frank said too, the Bradshaw Steelers are in a category on their own.

                  Chuck Noll has 4 rings as head coach, BUT BB has 5 in all and another Pats coach has 6 overall.

                  I do think that everything since 2000 screams of Pats’ dominance and that’s not subjective.

                  Overall titles in there, conference games, Brady’s records, and so on, but when someone wants to cut your team down no matter what you say is good enough.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 4, 2014
                    The Good
                    - Edelman now holds the record for most punt returns for a TD in franchise history with 4. What a game for Minitron. TD receiving on a perfect throw, TD returning. Could have had another one that he couldn't quite control.
                    - Gronk makes a ridiculous catch at the 1 and then goes in easily the next play. He is almost unstoppable at times. He is now the second fastest player to 50 TD in NFL history behind some guy I've never heard of. Jerry Rice? Who the hell is he?
                    - Brady was on target all day. His throws into and against the wind were no different. He still has the arm strength to get it to anyone, anywhere. Brady has now the 5th most passing yards going past John Elway. No better team to do it against.
                    - Our entire D gets the A grade. Denver couldn't get a run game going and then was forced to pass. We gave up a ton of yards but created the turnovers needed to slow Denver. Stopped them on all 3rd down conversions in the first half (except for a Browner penalty) and 3 for 11 in the game. Denver was also 0 fer on 4th downs.
                    - The O woke up in the red zone. We were 4 for 5 in the red zone and 4 for 4 in goal to go scoring. We can't waste chances against good teams like Denver and the 4 we have coming up.
                    - This might be the best website I have ever seen. The hoodie tracker. Awesome. http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1d8CFhIYAA_sdZ.jpg
                    - BB completely fooled Manning by calling the zone blitz and dropping Ninkovich into coverage. The best quote I heard? "To be fair to Manning, Ninkovich was wide open."
                    - Casillas played great on special teams. He just got here and is making his presence felt. BB loves his ST play.
                    - Ayers has been here a week and almost went wire to wire at DE. Different game plan to go lighter in the box and get some additional pressure on Manning. He still played the run well and the 4th down sack was great effort on a 3 man rush.
                    - I would have loved to see the entire ceremony at half time but at least CBS showed a little of it. Too bad everyone couldn't have made it. I would have loved to see Vin show up if he were on a bye week. Also missed Vrabel, one of my all time favorites.

                    - This was as complete a game we have played. We started out well, dominated the 2nd quarter to really make a statement, came out strong after halftime and didn't let up until the end of the game.

                    The Bad
                    - Brady was asked this morning what play made him the most angry and he picked the overthrow to LaFell. Said he should have had it and didn't have to make the perfect throw as he was very open. It was a tough throw considering the wind but that could have been an early message to Denver if we hit it. Turns out it doesn't matter.
                    - The throw to Amendola was high and behind him but it still should have been caught. Bad pick turned into points.
                    - The Denver kicker is done. For a team that loaded up for Manning, how do you forget special teams. The punter bobbles a snap, the kicker doinks one off the upright, the coverage team gives up a TD, the return team can't get past the 15. It takes 3 phases.
                    - I used to defend Phil Simms as I thought he was never as bad as everyone said. I now am here to say that he is terrible. He adds nothing to the broadcast and for someone who played in the NFL and should know what is going on, he really seems lost at times. Time to move on to someone who can actually analyze. There has to be someone out there who needs a shot. Other networks have them (Gruden is excellent, Boomer Esiason is probably my favorite).
                    - LaFell had a couple of drops this week that need to be corrected. Vereen had one too.
                    - Why was Denver calling timeouts at the end just to run the ball when they got it back. Did they really think we were going to give up 3 TDs in a couple of minutes with the way we were playing?
                    - My trip to the Detroit game has been cancelled. Ben's end of year banquet is that day. My first shot was the Chicago game but that was scrapped for his Championship game. I am now targeting the Dolphins game in the middle of December. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

                    The Ugly
                    - It's time to go to fulltime refs. How was there no penalty for illegal man downfield after the dropped snap on the punt. It would have been declined anyway but that was one of the most obvious calls in the game but was missed. There were 2 holds on the Hillman TD (Chung and McCourty) but neither were called. At least they got the reviews right on the Edelman non-TD (ball was moving) and the Gronk call at the 1 (he was in contact with a defender when he had possession of the ball) and the Hillman(?) dive to the pylon (he was clearly in).
                    - Romo has 2 bones in his back that are broken and they will probably play him next week in London vs. the Jags. With a bye week after that and the fact they are playing the Jags, why risk it? It's the Jags.
                    - I can't stand the Steelers as I have a friend who is obsessed and constantly talks as if they are the greatest team the world has ever seen and the Pats are terrible and haven't won anything since we stopped cheating. I hate that Roethlesshamburger has had the 2 weeks he did which moved him to the top of the QB standings. I also had that Antonio Brown has moved to the top of the WR standings. He calls both the best in the league at their positions. (My votes would go to Andrew Luck for QB right now (followed by Brady, Manning and Rodgers) and Megatron for WR if he weren't hurt followed by AJ Green and D Thomas).

                    Dave
                  • dres74
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 4, 2014
                      I don't agree on the Amendola pass. Pass was tipped enough to change it's direction and casing it to just sail over his head. His height was the issue. He barely was able to get his fingertips on it. Not his fault, not Brady's either. Nothing you could do...

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      > On Nov 4, 2014, at 11:48 AM, "'Levine, David' david-levine@... [patriotzip]" <patriotzip@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                      >
                      > Amendola
                    • Geoff Talvola
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 4, 2014
                        On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM, Levine, David via patriots <patriots@...> wrote:

                        > - It's time to go to fulltime refs.  How was there no penalty for illegal man downfield after the dropped snap on the punt.  It would have been declined anyway but that was one of the most obvious calls in the game but was missed.

                        Actually they did call that penalty - I saw it in the stadium - but it was a very late flag and obviously the Pats declined it. Probably it happened during the commercial and wasn't shown or mentioned on TV. The official game log at nfl.com says:

                        (8:33) (Punt formation) 4-B.Colquitt FUMBLES (Aborted) at DEN 19, and recovers at DEN 19. 4-B.Colquitt punts 53 yards to NE 16. 11-J.Edelman for 84 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Penalty on DEN, Ineligible Downfield Kick, declined. NE 11-Edelman 4th career punt return TD, new franchise record.

                        - Geoff
                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 4, 2014

                          Good analysis as usual!

                          On this game, there’s not much on the bad or ugly side, huh?

                          I assume you’re just  “a funnin’ us” when you mention Jerry Rice???

                          Hope you end up getting a game to go to.

                          Also, I am loathe to see big Roth getting some good stats.

                          Was hoping he’d disappear or implode like Eli…

                          Honestly, WHEN will people stop yapping about that camera incident?

                          Sometimes that’s ALL you hear from both the press articles and other people you run into like your friend.

                          Are we just fooling ourselves when we downplay it? ARE those 3 SBs solely the reason for the wins?

                          So no camera angles, NO SBS for any of those? I doubt it, so just wanted to throw that out yet again.

                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 5, 2014
                            Thats correct.  Amendola was going for the catch but a DL tipped it just out of reach.  He gets a pass on that one.

                            Brewgnat

                            Sent from my iPad

                            On Nov 4, 2014, at 12:03 PM, "dres74@... [patriotzip]" <patriotzip@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                            I don't agree on the Amendola pass. Pass was tipped enough to change it's direction and casing it to just sail over his head. His height was the issue. He barely was able to get his fingertips on it. Not his fault, not Brady's either. Nothing you could do...

                            Sent from my iPhone

                            > On Nov 4, 2014, at 11:48 AM, "'Levine, David' david-levine@... [patriotzip]" <patriotzip@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                            >
                            > Amendola

                          • Levine, David
                            Message 13 of 27 , Dec 1, 2015

                              The Good

                              -          Gronk is not done for the year.  It looked bad and I went to bed more pissed off about that than the loss.  After hearing the report that he is week to week, our season is still ok.

                              -          Hightower is not done for the year either.  Didn’t see that injury but he won’t miss a lot of time.  We can survive.

                              -          With a team that was playing with its 5th and 6th options at WR, their 4th option at TE, their 3rd and 4th options at LB, we lost to a damn good team in OT.  We fought hard but just didn’t have the weapons to go all the way.  You could see the guys were gassed by the 4th quarter and just couldn’t make that last play.  When you run out of players and can’t sub, that thin air will get you.

                              -          Other than one pass each on the last drive in regulation, our corners were outstanding.  They completely shut down the Denver WRs.  Both Ryan and Butler had great games.

                              -          Sheard was a monster.  He was everywhere and it is nice to have him in that 3 man rotation to keep everyone fresh.

                              -          Freeney played well in place of Collins (and Hightower).  He doesn’t have the talent the other 2 have but he is going to be a good player for us.

                              -          Ghost is still automatic.  Great drive to get into FG range.

                              -          The D played their hearts out for the entire game.  They started to run out of gas on the last drive but they really held Denver in check all night.

                              The Bad

                              -          Holy shit we have been hit with injuries.  Here is my list of top 10 most important players on this team in no specific order.  Brady, Gronk, Edelman, Solder, D Lewis, Jones, Hightower, Collins, Butler, McCourty.  Of those 10, 6 have had big injuries.  Throw in LaFell, Amendola, Sheard and everyone else on the OL and it’s amazing that we are where we are.

                              -          Losing Edelman and Amendola was big not only on the offence but also in special teams.  That muffed punt was a huge play.  We get that ball and we probably win the game.  BB values ST so much I’m surprised he didn’t have Harper ready (or just call a fair catch).

                              -          There were just no balls bouncing our way.  We had the 1 pick early but everything else went to Denver.  They put the ball on the ground and recover.  We drop it and they recover.  We are in good position to make a play but they just out jump us.  Sometimes things happen.

                              -          Why did we just run out the clock at the end of the half.  We had over 2 minutes with time outs.  We should have tried to score but just ran up the middle.  Also, why didn’t Denver take a time out with 30 seconds to go?  They could have returned the punt or set up a long pass attempt.  Both decisions boggled my mind.

                              -          We didn’t come out aggressive in the 3rd quarter.  We tried to establish the run game but it obviously wasn’t working.  What was working was the short passing game that scored us the first 2 TDs.  Why go away from that?  Why keep throwing it up deep to Chandler.

                              -          Our running on any “and  1” situation sucks.  Someone is always in the backfield and drops the RB for a loss.

                              -          The scoring streak ends as we didn’t score in the 3rd quarter.  We did score on the first play of the 4th but that is too little too late.

                              -          LaFell dropped an easy long pass.  He comes down with that and we score again.

                              The Ugly

                              -          I hate to blame the refs when we had control of the game but they certainly didn’t do us any favors.  The 2nd PI on Gronk was complete BS and killed a potential game sealing drive.  Both players were trying to gain position and this type of thing happens all the time.  Huge penalty.  The ticky-tack holding call on Chung gave them first and goal from the 5 instead of 3rd and goal from the 15 with a running clock.  With no timeouts, that is a huge difference and probably cost us the game.  When were the refs going to call anything on Denver’s OL?  The first TD, Ninkovich was clearly held at the point of attack.  On the final TD pass, there was clearly hands to the face by the left guard on Jones.  Holding on Pats crossing patterns were not called.  If the refs are going to let them play, let them play.  Don’t just call it one way.  It got very out of hand during the final 5 or so minutes of the game.

                              -          Though the refs did the right thing by starting the clock after the Denver injury on the last drive, they didn’t explain it to everyone when they did it.  When they announced Denver gets a 4th time out, it really wasn’t a time out.  They should have said they were going to wind the clock as soon as the ball is set.  Brady doesn’t look at the game clock, only the play clock.  Applied correctly.  Not explained at all and almost cost us a chance at the FG.  We had a timeout that we could have used if needed and could have moved even closer.

                              -          Shannon Sharpe is still an ass.  Doesn’t he realize that TB12 does something dorky like that every week.  The response from the Broncos Facebook site was perfect.  Sharpe just hates winners and anyone who will take away his tainted legacy.

                              -          Cleveland is just Cleveland.  Is there a more embarrassing way to lose a game?

                              Dave

                              David Levine
                              Process Engineer
                              Rapid Assay Solutions
                              IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.
                              One IDEXX Drive
                              Westbrook, ME 04092

                              207-632-4097 (cell)
                              207-556-8665 (fax)

                              david-levine@...

                            • Levine, David

                                Message 15 of 27 , Dec 2, 2015
                                  Thanks, Dave. Good stuff, as always.
                                  Couldn't believe the end of the 1st half. What was Josh thinking? What a golden opportunity.
                                  Can't blame officiating for the loss, but there were certainly some questionable calls that probably would not be called 90% of the time. A couple of them could very well have made a difference in the outcome. Just came a crucial moments. That being said, if the former Pats rookie FA receiver fair catches a punt, we probably win.

                                  We could be much healthier, come playoff time...

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 2, 2015

                                    I’ll tag along with Frank here and say good job too!!

                                    Not sure I’ll agree with the officiating…looked pretty suspect to me.

                                    But as you say, calls go either way on any given Sunday.

                                    This one just looked fishy to me, but on we go and hope to get healthy and stay that way.

                                    Not sure I’ve ever seen a team that could manipulate around injuries like BB can.

                                    GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                    Couldn't believe the end of the 1st half. What was Josh thinking? What a golden opportunity.

                                    Can't blame officiating for the loss, but there were certainly some questionable calls that probably would not be called 90% of the time. A couple of them could very well have made a difference in the outcome. Just came a crucial moments. That being said, if the former Pats rookie FA receiver fair catches a punt, we probably win.

                                    We could be much healthier, come playoff time...

                                    fdb

                                  • Levine, David
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jan 26, 2016
                                      The Good
                                      - The boys fought until the very end. They put it all on the line but came up a little short.
                                      - Our D is so good when the guys are healthy. Collins was a man possessed. Yes, he got beaten on the double moves but he never let that get to him. He was all over the field. Between him and Hightower, our LBs are set for a long time.
                                      - The DL played great too. Hicks was worth the trade and really became a stabilizing force in the middle. I would love to resign him next year but I am afraid he is going to cost too much.
                                      - Gronk is such a weapon. He was playing with reckless abandon and almost, single handedly, won the game for us.
                                      - I think our DBs are all set for next year. Both corners and safeties are playing at a high level. Once guys get back from injury and add 1 or 2 new backups, we have a strength of the team.
                                      - Carolina. That entire team is really good. Newton has really become a force in the league and should be MVP. His ability to run adds a complete different dimension to the team.
                                      - This team. We are incredibly lucky to be able to say losing in the AFC championship game is a failure. There are 20 teams who would just love to fight for a playoff spot and consider a .500 year a victory. We lost 5 times all year in 18 games. Think about this. We won 13 times this year. There are teams where it takes more than 2 seasons to win that many games. I am disappointed that we lost but I am certainly enjoying the ride. I don't know if we will ever see a team as dominant as the Patriots are since 2000. Kraft, BB and Brady are the best threesome since, well, let's not go there.

                                      The Bad
                                      - The streak is over. Ghost misses for the first time in over 500 PAT attempts. This is a record that will last forever, unless the league moves the spot back to the 2 yard line. I know he blames himself for the loss but I don't. 1 point in the first quarter doesn't make the difference in the game. There is so much that is different later because of that point. Pats become more aggressive, Denver becomes more conservative. It's not his fault and I hope he realizes that he is the best kicker in the league but there is no way you make every kick.
                                      - The OL was terrible. It's not all their fault as Denver has possible best front 4 in the league. With 2 starters out and another playing out of position, we just didn't have the guns to do it. I thought we could have done more to slow down the edge guys (chip with a TE or RB) but we didn't. This was the biggest down point of the game.
                                      - The terrible pick Brady threw deep in our own end at the start of the 2nd quarter. Giving the Broncos the ball at the 25 when their O can't really move the ball really changed things.
                                      - With hindsight being 20/20, I still agree with the 4th down calls. Our O hadn't done anything all game. With 6 minutes to go in the 4th Q, we had to try for the 1 yard. Our D was playing really well but that was really the longest drive we had all game. There was no guarantee that we would even sniff scoring again so ride the momentum. The play call was excellent. Edelman's coverage was sucked inside. The problem was the D was better as the safety stayed home and blew up the play.
                                      - The Denver DL had the game of their lives. They all played possessed and never made a mistake.

                                      The Ugly
                                      - I know the refs tend to let them play at the end but how do you let the interference on Gronk go at the end of the game. Talib clearly grabbed Gronk around the waist with one hand and his jersey with the other, preventing from jumping. The guy is the biggest person in the area and was out jumped by 3 Denver defenders? Should have put the ball on the 1 and given us a shot at coming up with a stop and playing for the win.
                                      - The unnatural hate for Josh McDaniels. Some on this list (you know who you are), have short term memories about how the offence plays. In one post you say you hate McDaniels because his poor offence cost us the game. You forget that the Pats were #6 in total offence and #3 in scoring offence (#1 in the AFC by a wide margin). I didn't hear anyone complain when we trounced the Chefs last week. The O moved the ball at will. McDaniels was also the guy who was able to come up with a plan to beat the Seahawks last year to win a pretty important game. Knocking him for the inability for the OL to win any 1 on 1 battles is a lot harsh. Yes, he should try and come up with a different plan but when you have 5 guys blocking 3 and Brady is still pressured, what is he to do. As some point, the players have to play.
                                      - Up huge at the end of the game, why did Carolina go for 2 after the pick 6? Just kick the PAT and move on. I do commend them for taking a knee on 4th down though.

                                      Dave
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jan 26, 2016

                                        Hi Dave,

                                        Thank for the analysis…will you do a short SB commentary?

                                        I’m still sore at the loss, but everything you said makes sense.

                                        It’s just hard for us because we’re so used to the “gold standard”…

                                        It’s so cheesy on CBS—during the commercials they have different actors or newscasters, etc. holding the football with “SB 50” in the background.

                                        Saw the Hawaii 5-0 actors and the Young and Restless actors, etc.

                                        Susan

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Dec 20, 2016
                                          The Good
                                          - Another hat and shirt game. Combined with the KC loss, we now have a bye locked up.
                                          - Logan Ryan had one of his best games as a Patriot. He jumped the route perfectly and picked off the ball in stride. He saw one earlier and almost did the same thing but knew he couldn't get there so he made the sure tackle. He did a great job in coverage and his run support was solid.
                                          - Lewis was a workhorse and I'm not sure why. He ran well between the tackles and was very effective. I like that we could run even when the passing game was sputtering.
                                          - McCourty's hit on Thomas was as clean as you could get. Separated the ball from the receiver with no head contact and no "defenseless receiver" crap.
                                          - Solder and Cannon had outstanding games, keeping Ware and Miller virtually invisible. Whatever the blocking scheme was, it worked.
                                          - As I've been saying all year, this D is pretty good. They are now officially ranked as the #1 scoring D. 10th in yards (4th in rushing, 17th in passing), 6th in first downs allowed, 7th in 3rd down conversions. This is a championship quality D. Forcing 5 consecutive drives in the 3rd quarter without a 1st down proves it.
                                          - I am glad the D stepped up and prevented the garbage time TD. It wouldn't have mattered but for prides sake, it was a good sign.
                                          - James Devlin had one catch but really could have been the player of the game. He really makes the run game go.
                                          - Flowers continues to impress with pressure up the middle. Malcolm Brown is becoming a great run stuffer too.
                                          - McDaniels deserves a shout out. He had a simple game plan with complex groupings. He brought in heavy personnel and then ran a spread formation. This forced the 2 CBs to cover Blount and Lengel when they split wide. This forced a LB to try and stay with Edelman in the slot. They also split Devlin out wide a couple times to occupy Talib. Quick passes with the right matchups won the game.
                                          - BB does not have a losing record against any team. He is tied with Denver, Green Bay and the Giants but has a winning record against everyone else.
                                          - Blount set the record for rushing TDs for the Pats. It should have been Deion's TD but whatever.
                                          - 8th straight division championship sets a record. This is just a ridiculous streak right now.
                                          - Ghost has his mojo back and Allen continues to punt out of his mind. ST really made a difference for us. Recovering a fumble was the icing on the cake.
                                          - Ben's cast is off and he will be cleared to wrestle at the end of the month. Everything healed correctly and his range of motion is very good. Just needs to regain his grip strength and forearm strength and he'll be all set.

                                          The Bad
                                          - Thuney had a day to forget. A couple pressures, a couple sacks, a holding call. Not a good day for the rookie. Also had his streak of playing every snap broken when he was taken out for 1 play. Shea McClellan came in as an ineligible player split out (Raven's formation). To throw salt in the wound, the pass was incomplete.
                                          - Though it may have been the weather, we had way too many drops. White, Edelman, White, Hogan, White. Got to clean this up a little.
                                          - I just got the impression that D Thomas is soft. He really didn't compete for balls and just looked disinterested if the play wasn't coming to him.
                                          - Brady didn't look comfortable out there. Yes, Denver pass D is legit but there were passes where he just plain missed his guys. Starting the game 0 for 6 is bad.

                                          The Ugly
                                          - TJ Ward and his flex. It didn't cost his team the game but is certainly killed any chances of a comeback. He made a nice play on the ball, hit Edelman clean and wrapped him up. All good. Picking JE11 up and slamming him to the ground was not just uncalled for but downright dirty. There was no excuse even though he claimed that he thought JE11 had the ball.
                                          - E Sanders claimed Butler didn't shut him down. Doesn't matter. You didn't do anything all game. Elite? Never.
                                          - The NFL will probably give the Giants a slap on the wrist for using walkie talkies during the game. A blatant rule violation and against the integrity of the game.
                                          - Best tweet I saw came from Michael Hurley. "Nate Ebner has to make the Pro Bowl. There is a dodgeball competition this year. It's called serendipity, folks." Even Slater says Ebner deserves the nod over himself.

                                          Dave
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Dec 20, 2016
                                            Good one, Dave. Comments below.

                                            --- George
                                            Once Again PROUD to be an American!

                                            On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 5:22 AM, Levine, Dave via patriots <patriots@...> wrote:
                                            The Good
                                            - Another hat and shirt game.  Combined with the KC loss, we now have a bye locked up.
                                            - Logan Ryan had one of his best games as a Patriot.  He jumped the route perfectly and picked off the ball in stride.  He saw one earlier and almost did the same thing but knew he couldn't get there so he made the sure tackle.  He did a great job in coverage and his run support was solid.
                                            *** Totally agree, but ... where did it come from, and why has it taken so long for him to play like that? Most importantly, whatever the reasons for it, can we have reasonable hope that it will continue?
                                            - Lewis was a workhorse and I'm not sure why.  He ran well between the tackles and was very effective.  I like that we could run even when the passing game was sputtering.
                                            *** I think the "why" is because he has the quickness to get through small openings against a good run defense. Blount is a bull! And he works hard to find holes. But he doesn't have the ability to spot a hole that we see from Le'Veon Bell. Nor does he have the quickness and small frame to squeeze through a small space that Lewis possesses. We may see the same thing against the Jets this week.
                                            - McCourty's hit on Thomas was as clean as you could get.  Separated the ball from the receiver with no head contact and no "defenseless receiver" crap.
                                            - Solder and Cannon had outstanding games, keeping Ware and Miller virtually invisible.  Whatever the blocking scheme was, it worked.
                                            *** Dante does it again!
                                            - As I've been saying all year, this D is pretty good.  They are now officially ranked as the #1 scoring D.  10th in yards (4th in rushing, 17th in passing),  6th in first downs allowed, 7th in 3rd down conversions.  This is a championship quality D.  Forcing 5 consecutive drives in the 3rd quarter without a 1st down proves it.
                                            *** AND they got me a win in one of my semi-final FF matches! :-)
                                            - I am glad the D stepped up and prevented the garbage time TD.  It wouldn't have mattered but for prides sake, it was a good sign.
                                            *** AND for my FF team! :-)
                                            - James Devlin had one catch but really could have been the player of the game.  He really makes the run game go.
                                            *** I have always been a believer in the Fullback position. I think having a lead blocker coming from the backfield is the best way to run the ball.
                                            - Flowers continues to impress with pressure up the middle.  Malcolm Brown is becoming a great run stuffer too.
                                            - McDaniels deserves a shout out.  He had a simple game plan with complex groupings.  He brought in heavy personnel and then ran a spread formation.  This forced the 2 CBs to cover Blount and Lengel when they split wide.  This forced a LB to try and stay with Edelman in the slot.  They also split Devlin out wide a couple times to occupy Talib.  Quick passes with the right matchups won the game.
                                            - BB does not have a losing record against any team. He is tied with Denver, Green Bay and the Giants but has a winning record against everyone else.
                                            - Blount set the record for rushing TDs for the Pats.  It should have been Deion's TD but whatever.
                                            - 8th straight division championship sets a record.  This is just a ridiculous streak right now.
                                            *** Belichick/Brady HC/QB combination is the G.O.A.T.!
                                            - Ghost has his mojo back and Allen continues to punt out of his mind.  ST really made a difference for us.  Recovering a fumble was the icing on the cake.
                                            - Ben's cast is off and he will be cleared to wrestle at the end of the month.  Everything healed correctly and his range of motion is very good.  Just needs to regain his grip strength and forearm strength and he'll be all set.
                                            *** Great that he healed perfectly, Dave! Best item in the "Good" list!

                                            The Bad
                                            - Thuney had a day to forget.  A couple pressures, a couple sacks, a holding call.  Not a good day for the rookie.  Also had his streak of playing every snap broken when he was taken out for 1 play.  Shea McClellan came in as an ineligible player split out (Raven's formation).  To throw salt in the wound, the pass was incomplete.
                                            - Though it may have been the weather, we had way too many drops.  White, Edelman, White, Hogan, White.  Got to clean this up a little.
                                            *** Did you see the Packers' game? Two drops each by Nelson and Adams. I think it was the cold weather.
                                            - I just got the impression that D Thomas is soft.  He really didn't compete for balls and just looked disinterested if the play wasn't coming to him.
                                            *** Played like Dez Bryant often does.
                                            - Brady didn't look comfortable out there.  Yes, Denver pass D is legit but there were passes where he just plain missed his guys.  Starting the game 0 for 6 is bad.
                                            *** Understatement! I thought he looked absolutely intimidated at the start of the game; and only a little less so later. He looked like a rookie playing against a good team for the first time. Hate to say it, but he looked SCARED! He didn't seem able to push that aside, and play with the intensity and fire that we usually see from him in big games. Does he need a sports psychiatrist to "get over" playing in Denver? ... That said, he did NOT turn the ball over; and that was critical in a game like this!

                                            The Ugly
                                            - TJ Ward and his flex.  It didn't cost his team the game but is certainly killed any chances of a comeback.  He made a nice play on the ball, hit Edelman clean and wrapped him up.  All good.  Picking JE11 up and slamming him to the ground was not just uncalled for but downright dirty.  There was no excuse even though he claimed that he thought JE11 had the ball.
                                            *** Typical of Ward. He's always been a cheap shot artist. In a class with Suggs, Suh, Burfict.
                                            - E Sanders claimed Butler didn't shut him down.  Doesn't matter.  You didn't do anything all game.  Elite?  Never.
                                            - The NFL will probably give the Giants a slap on the wrist for using walkie talkies during the game.  A blatant rule violation and against the integrity of the game.
                                            *** Good call, Dave. $150,000 fine??? For a billion dollar organization?! And $50,000 for the HC. Goodell's favorite team gets a very light slap on the wrist. What's your best guess on what the Patriots and BB would have been hit with for the same violation?

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Dec 21, 2016

                                              Good analysis as usual!

                                              Glad to hear that Ben is healed!!

                                              Under Bad…makes me nervous that Brady looked uncomfortable.

                                              Do you think that was just a onetime thing because they were at Denver ?

                                              Come on TB, let’s get that 5th ring…

                                              Under Ugly…how could you pass by on the Seahags Thurs uniforms?

                                              Those were the ugliest I’ve seen so far. Guess we have two more to go, but those were nausea-inducing.

                                              Also, can’t believe all these other teams just get small slaps or small fines that go along with the rule book and we get the HUGE shaft.

                                              Susan