The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Bills)

  • Levine, David
    Message 1 of 42 , Oct 1, 2012
      The Good
      • How about that OL.  They gave Brady all day to throw and created holes for RBs that I could have gotten positive yardage out of.  Wow, what a performance.
      • Both RBs ran great.  Ridley and Bolden both look like keepers.  Vereen may not be part of this team if they play like this.  It’s hard not to make positive yardage with the holes they were getting but both showed patience and trusted their blockers.  They hit the LOS hard and turned it up field.  Both knew when to put their head down and run over the defender.  Loved Bolden’s TD.  Hit at the 4 and just powered his way into the end zone.
      • Tom “Crazy Legs” Brady and his TD run.  “Happens as often as Halley’s Comet”.  Smart play by a smart player.
      • How about Wes?  Looks like we no longer get to complain that he isn’t part of the offence anymore.  Passes Brown for number 2 on the yardage list.  Only behind Morgan.
      • Spikes brings it every play.  Love it that he is healthy.  The forced fumble at the goal line was the key to the game.  They score and we are down 14 at the half.  Forced another fumble later.
      • Is anyone playing better than Vince?  He bats down a pass, recovers a fumble and then plasters a poor WR on a dump off. If anyone is teaching children how to tackle, watch that play.  Head up, lead with the shoulder and chest, no helmet to helmet contact, wrap up, drive through the opponent and take him to the ground.  Perfect technique.
      • McCourty played a great game.  He was in coverage well throughout the game and made 2 nice plays for INTs, making up for the 1 drop last week (yes, 1.  The other was a good play by the WR to knock it away).
      • We scored on our last 7 possessions.  6 TDs and a FG.  Only 2 of which were in the 3rd quarter.
      • Our loss to Arizona isn’t so hard to handle now. They are a good team.
      • 2 – 100 yard rushers and 2 – 100 yard receivers in one game.  Wow.
      • Loved Brady’s explanation of the Gronk TD.  They were running behind a pulling off guard all game long.  They decided to run the same look up front but run play action out of it.  The LB bit on the fake and Gronk was by him before he could react.  The 2 safeties were too wide to make a play.  Beautiful.
      • I thought the D played well.  Gave up a TD on a short field and then only 2 others when it counted.  They made plays all game between pressure, turnovers and key stops.  Nicely done.
      • Fells had a great block on the 1st TD run.  Hoomanama had one on the 2nd Ridley TD run.
      • Mesko drops 2 beauties deep, forcing the long field.
      The Bad
      • For an engineer, I suck at math.  Bills are marching down the field in the 4th quarter and I’m thinking to myself, “we can let them score but they just have to take time off the clock.  Otherwise, we’ll need to do something with out last drive.”  Didn’t do the math properly to see we were up 21, not 14.
      • Hightower down with a hammy and didn’t return all game.
      • Ghost misses 2 FGs when it looked like we really could have used them.  He needs to get his head on straight.  Nice to see him make the short one later to get some confidence back.
      • Gronk and Wes both fumble.  One leads to a short field TD and the other almost does as well.
      • I would have rather gone for it on 4th and inches.  With the way the running game was moving the ball, pound the rock.
      • Can we please get a kickoff returner.  McCourty just doesn’t have the speed and wiggle for it.  Need someone to take it up field in hurry.
      The Ugly
      • Santonio Holmes falls to the ground in a heap, untouched and decides he’s in too much pain to hold onto the ball.  Instead of letting go of the ball, he throws it up into the air, where a defender picks it up and runs for a TD.  WTF?
      • The dismantling of the Jets.  Is there any other sight that is as sweet?
      • Mario Williams probably should have played in the game.  The Bills would have had a chance to win.  What’s that?  He did play?  Oh.
      • Dierdork mixed up Bolden and Ridley all game. What a tool this guy is.
      • GB almost got jobbed out of another win by the refs.  Missed an early offensive PI on a NO TD and then hosed them later in the game as well on a fumble that wasn’t
      • New Orleans is 0 and 4.
      • What the hell happened at the end of the Giants/Eagles game.  3 PI calls (one legit).  Offsides.  Freezing the kicker almost cost them.  Questionable play calling.  What a mess.
    • frankdanabrewster
      Message 42 of 42 , Sep 22

        Great read as always, David. That 4th quarter is a good teaching moment for Belichick; especially for the young players. Don't get complacent with a big lead late. It can bite you. But yeah, BB didn't play it smart.

        I just thought Rex saw someone with a big plate of wings. Didn't know it was a play call.  :o)

        You mentioned Seattle being 0-2. The interesting stat is that out post-season opponents - Baltimore, Indy, and Seattle are now a combined 0-6.