Skip to search.

Long, Cold Winter(s)?

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2012
      I've assumed, since before camp, that Brian Winters would come in, at
      some point. That hasn't happened, and, frankly, it leaves me very
      concerned about our OL.

      At the OT positions, we still can't be sure if Vollmer is ready to go
      at 100% for a full game, and, when healthy, he's the best option we
      have at OLT. Solder can handle ORT very well, but has trouble with all
      of the high quality DEs when he's at OLT. Cannon is firing short
      rounds at ORT. I have no confidence in him.

      At C, Connolly is, IMO, a clear best option. He's decent at G, but, if
      he moves there, we're weaker at that spot than we would be with
      Winters; and then weaker at C with the other guys who can play there.

      All that says that we have exactly one position on the OL in which we
      can have great confidence - LG, with Mankins.

      I see an OL of OLT Vollmer (healthy!), LG Mankins, C Connolly, RG
      Winters, ORT Solder, as a slightly above average OL. But the mix and
      match group I described above scares the crap out of me! Maybe I'm
      under estimating the depth guys - McDonald, Thomas, Wendell and
      Tennant. But frankly, I don't think so.

      Somebody please give me a view on this that makes me feel better!

    • Scott Sheaffer
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2012
        Even though he played offensive tackle in college, a lot of scouts and analysts saw Cannon as a first round talent at GUARD. If Waters isn't coming back and Vollmer can play, Cannon should be shifted to right guard, the position he's best suited for.

        Is anyone on the list starting up a group for picking games again? It was a lot of fun last year.

        Scott Sheaffer
        KmacAlp@...
        Phantazine