Greg Salas

  • Scott Sheaffer
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2012
      I was going to fire out one more idea, claiming Chris Hogan, a former Lacrosse Player, whom the Dolphins cut. Hogan is tall and strong and has ok WR speed. He only played one year of football in college and his offensive snaps were limited because he played a lot of defensive back and got three interceptions. I held back and then, just now, saw that the Pats had traded for Salas. He had a broken leg last year, his rookie year, but he averaged over 4 catches a game in the 6 games he played. He's familiar with Josh McDaniels's system. He's got descent size, 6'1 209 lbs and strength. His speed is okay at 4.5, not blazing fast for a WR, but not bad either, and definitely not as bad as some of the pre-draft analysis said last year. He can work both the outside and also at slot receiver. He's sure-handed, tough, not afraid to go over the middle, and he has a knack for finding holes in the defense. He had over 100 catches and 1,500 yards in each of his last two college seasons. The Rams took him in the 4th Round last year. Salas may not seem like a spectacular pick up, but I feel better about the receiving corps than I did a few hours ago. I think he'll do well with the Pats. (Of course, with the way things have gone this past off-season and preseason, he'll probably get cut soon.) Here's hoping he has a productive Patriots' career and doesn't go the way of Joseph Addai and Anthony Gonzalez.

      One sobering thought though is that the Rams had a horrendous offense last year, yet we've now acquired their offensive coordinator and two of their receivers. We can only hope their problems owed more to trying to install a new and complex system during a lockout hindered off season than to any short comings of the three guys we've now brought over. We know what McDaniels can do when he has talent to execute his schemes, and both Lloyd and Salas (when healthy) were fairly productive. I'm more confident about Salas lining up at WR than Matthew Slater.

      Scott Sheaffer
      KmacAlp@...
      Phantazine