Your instructions for rooting this weekend

  • philw1776@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 30, 2002
      First it depends on your outlook.  If you like backing into the playoffs doggy
      style, just being grateful to be there, you'll have a different outlook.  Me,
      I'd prefer to enter the playoffs with good prospects for winning.  No 1st game
      rapid exit Jetstyle, or worse yet the bi-annual 62-10 Phinstyle rout.

      So, Pats fans want the hated Phins to defeat the good guys of Buffalo.  Sorry
      Drew, but we need that #1 pick as close to the 10 spot as possible.  Despite
      Lucas' execrable performance vs the Bills 1st time around, the Phins should win
      this one.  Now that BB has done his predicted annual head job on Drew and
      refreshed the retarded memories of the other defensive coordinators, The Statue
      is pretty much dead meat for the remainder of this season.  And with it goes
      any dreams of the Bills in the playoffs.

      Of course, this scenario relies on the Pats doing the manly thing and winning
      out, defeating the Phins in Gillette at years' end.  Assuming that that's the
      only Phin loss, Pats would own the tiebreaker. If they can't beat the Phins,
      then the Phins (aaarrrghhh) deserve the AFCE title.

      As to Jets vs Oakland Monday.  A 0-0 tie would be emotionally satisfying but
      Pats fans want the Jets to win that one.  First because the Patriots will kick
      Jet ass when the green slime slinks into Gillette in December, and secondly
      because we want the Raiders back here in our house in the snow again for the
      playoffs.  Perfect karma for winning the SuperBowl again.

      -philw (make it so)
    • Rob Bosch
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 30, 2002
        Phil I see your point on both games, but I happen to disagree with you. The Miami-Buffalo game is a tough one. I, like you, definitely want the highest draft pick available from the Bills. But it would also be very nice if the Dolphins would lose this game (which I don't expect). Since Miami is currently ahead of the Pats, I have to root for the Bills in this one. You're right that we do play the Phins the last game of the year, but a lot of stuff can happen between now and then. I will always root for the first place team to lose. As for Oakland-Jets, this one is not even close for me. I want the Jets to go down...and go down badly. Freak's #1 rule is that you always root for the Jets to lose, no matter what the situation is. I don't care what Oakland's record is at the end of the year. I only care about what the teams are doing in our division. Go Raiders!

        -Pats Freak

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 30, 2002
          In a message dated 11/30/02 3:21:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, rob.bosch@... writes:

          Phil I see your point on both games, but I happen to disagree with you

          Just don't let it happen again.

          -philw (goin' to the Pats-Bills game?)
        • Rob Bosch
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 30, 2002
            Hehe....I'll try. I usually agree with you on most points, so this was a rare occurence. And no, I am not going to the Pats-Bills game...sigh.

            -Pats Freak
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 30, 2002
              I'm not with you on this one.

              I prefer to soar into the playoffs and if we win our final 6 games of
              the regular season that counts. How other teams, excepting our
              opponents, perform doesn't impact our 'backing in' or not. It's
              dependent on how we play.... period.

              Now in the event we doen't 'soar' I want to get there because once
              you are in the dance, anything can happen. We proved that in 1985
              and a bit more last year. So after evaluating the tiebreakers, we
              lose on many of them if we end up trying to get in as a wildcard.
              That in mind I want the Division leader to topple as we climb.
              Buffalo winning does that for us. I'm a Bills fan all the way on
              Sunday. I want to leave as much margin for error as possible to give
              us slack if we do error. It's not that I want us to err ... just
              that I want to be prepared should it occur. On top of that... it's
              far more fun to root for Buffalo than it could EVER be to root for
              the Dolphins. Will the win here screw our draft pick? Not as much
              as a Dolphin win could screw our playoff chances.

              Zip

              --- In patriotzip@y..., philw1776@a... wrote:
              > First it depends on your outlook. If you like backing into the
              playoffs
              > doggy
              > style, just being grateful to be there, you'll have a different
              outlook.
            • PatriotZip
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 30, 2002
                Here I'm stuck with Phil. Jets are not ahead of us and so I see an
                AFC opponent ahead of us which could impact our wildcard and
                certainly seeding for playoffs. As such I want the Raiders to lose.
                I, of course, did not grow up in Jet Territory subject to their
                fanbase!

                Hey Freak - I do believe you owe me on a wager we made. There's only
                1 away game remaining and it's a Monday so I'll presume we are
                carrying this to the first away game in the playoffs? Though I'll be
                AT the San Diego game :)

                Zip

                Service.
              • Rob Bosch
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 30, 2002
                  Yep that sounds like a plan too me. First playoff away game should do it.
                  And I see that you remember why I harbor such a deep hatred for all things
                  Jets. Good memory Zip!

                  -Pats Freak

                • John Warren
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 30, 2002
                    Phil,

                    I'm becoming a Philnatic ... we are thinking alike.
                    Take no prisoners ... run the table! We control our
                    fate. I want as high a pick as possible out of
                    Buffalo ... A top DT or OT would look good! AS far as
                    Oak in the razor that would look nice but highly
                    unlikely ... I think the Jets are in for a midair
                    collision with earth.

                    http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                  • philw1776@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 30, 2002

                      --- PhilW1776@... wrote:
                      > First it depends on your outlook.  If you like
                      > backing into the playoffs
                      > doggy
                      > style, just being grateful to be there, you'll have
                      > a different outlook.  Me,
                      > I'd prefer to enter the playoffs with good prospects
                      > for winning.

                      Yah.  But who can blame Zip for liking to take the playoffs "doggy style", eh?

                      -philw (needs no further disclaimers from his Randyness)
                    • John Warren
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 1, 2002
                        I want as high a pick as possible ...
                        The asst coach that convinced Wandstedt to throw the
                        flag to challenge that the play clock had run out is
                        looking pretty stupid. You can't challenge a
                        non-called penalty.

                        http://mailplus.yahoo.com