Pats are down in the Demps...

  • frankdanabrewster
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 17, 2012
      Pats are signing Olympic track star Jeff Demps. Averaged 5.8 per carry in his senior year at Florida. A small 5'8", 170 ib speedster, he hopes to make his mark as a kick returner.

      http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/08/track_star_demp.html

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 17, 2012
        IMO, this is worth a shot. The Patriots really need to do something to improve our KR performance. If he looks like a potential star as a KR, and can also return punts (a very different skill), and perhaps serve as a "deep backup" at RB and/or slot WR, he'll  be well worth a roster spot. If the team looks at him, and decides that he's not that much of an upgrade over the mix filling those KR spots now, no big loss. I'm sure that the contract isn't going to bust the CAP wide open. But I'd sure love to have a guy returning kickoffs who puts fear into the hearts of opponents; and consistently sets us up outside the 30 yard line, with a few big plays thrown in. ... How long has it been?

        - George

        On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 6:21 AM, frankdanabrewster <frank.dana@...> wrote:

        Pats are signing Olympic track star Jeff Demps. Averaged 5.8 per carry in his senior year at Florida. A small 5'8", 170 ib speedster, he hopes to make his mark as a kick returner.

        http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/08/track_star_demp.html

        fdb

      • Machado.Nicholas
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 17, 2012
          Another Smurf, Reiss's column at ESPN has him at 5' 7" but a very solid 195 lbs. Played RB in college as well as KR.

          http://www.espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4727328/patriots-announce-demps-signing

          I am reminded of the track star WR who I think Parcells drafted. Didn't pan out because straight-line speed by itself doesn't mean much in the NFL. Hope Demps has better luck.

          Harry

          At 11:21 PM 8/17/2012 +0000, you wrote:

          Pats are signing Olympic track star Jeff Demps. Averaged 5.8 per carry in his senior year at Florida. A small 5'8", 170 ib speedster, he hopes to make his mark as a kick returner.

          http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/08/track_star_demp.html

          fdb

        • Scott Sheaffer
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 18, 2012
            This signing and the choice of Nate Ebner in the draft shows that the Patriots have learned the lessons of last preseason. Going into the 2011 preseason, Belichick realized that the league was trying to get rid of kick-offs without imposing an outright ban on them. He even said it would affect decisions to keep players  whose primary contributions would be in kick returns. The mistake in this approach emerged in the Detroit Lions preseason game when the Lions kept kicking high and short kickoffs, forcing returns. The Lions stopped the return team inside the 20 repeatedly. Unfortunately, New England was unable to properly deal with the problem from that point to the end of the season. The best solution available was to put Woodhead and Edleman in. Yes, they were an improvement. Unfortunately, Brandon Tate had completely lost the ability which had made him a terrific returner in early 2010. (Although he looked better with the Bengals than he did as a Patriot in the preseason.) With Demps, we could once again have a first rate returner like Ellis Hobbs and Brandon Tate were. (Or even Raymond Clayborn back when he returned kicks.)

            The most frequent speed test in the NFL is the 40 yard dash in which Demps has been clocked at various 4.2 times ranging from 4.24 to 4.29. Stanley Morgan like. (Morgan one of the best WRs in Patriots history was a running back in college like Demps, BTW. Those 4.2's are impressive, however, in a different speed test which is more standardized and which has stricter standards - high level track and field events, Demps is even more impressive. Deion Sanders (said to have run a 4.1 forty) ran a 10.21 in the 100 meter dash. Demps ran a 10.01. (Former gold medalist "Bullet" Bob Hayes ran a 10.05) So, going by the 100 meter dash, Demps is among the fastest players in NFL history.

            Unlike Nehemiah of the 49ers back in the 1980s, Demps has actually played football and played it pretty decently at a high level. So, here's hoping that this signing pays off.

            Scott Sheaffer
            KmacAlp@...
            Phantazine

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 19, 2012
                  <Susan> That's what I was thinking--it doesn't always translate into success in the NFL. Did he have any experience with football at all in college or before, or is this just based on his speed and his success at the Olympics?

                  Hi Susan,

                  Demps played pretty well in his college career. As a running back, he gained 2,470 yards while splitting time with current Steelers rookie Chris Rainey. Demps averaged 6.7 yards a carry. He also caught 57 passes for 481 yards. Where he'll probably have the biggest impact in the NFL is as a kick returner. In College he averaged 28.8 yards per return. This came while playing in the SEC, the toughest conference in college football. So, Demps has a good college football background to go with his great speed.

                  Demps WILL NOT be a workhorse back by any stretch of the imagination. He didn't reach 100 carries in any of his college seasons. He played at 191 pounds, but dropped to 175 for the Olympics. That makes him twenty pounds lighter than Danny Woodhead and fifty pounds lighter than Stevan Ridley. (Plus, although Woodhead isn't as fast as Demps, he's still got some blazing speed of his own to go with those twenty extra pounds.) Right now this team has at least with three third down type backs with Woodhead, Vereen, and Demps. Vereen is the biggest of the three at 205, and he was one of the better performers at the bench press test at the combine. Vereen could also serve as an "every down" back in place of Ridley. (And it's not like Ridley doesn't have third down abilities too, although his combination of attributes and abilities makes Ridley the best candidate to be the primary running back. However, speed wise, Vereen is pedestrian compared to both Woodhead and Demps. Meanwhile, Demps is the smallest of the three third down types. We also don't know how well, Demps will pick up the offense yet. We've seen some renowned players come in and struggle to learn the Pats offense. Do we want to risk Tom Brady by having someone who doesn't know what he's doing out there handling blitz pickups? (And yes, Woodhead sometimes gets overpowered in these situations, but what's going to happen when someone twenty pounds lighter faces the same situation?) The thing is Demps could be a game changer on special teams. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

                  If the team is going to keep five running backs, maybe it could be Ridley, Vereen, Woodhead, Demps, and Larsen. Hopefully, Bolden can make it to the practice squad. Ridley could be the primary back with Vereen as a backup who gets a healthy share of snaps. Woodhead could be the third down back with both Vereen and Demps able to fill in should Woodhead get injured. Demps could primarily be a special teamer. Larsen (if he gets healthy) could be the fullback, something this team really needs. I'd prefer two fullbacks, but the Patriots haven't used fullbacks much in recent years. It's worrisome that if one guy gets hurt, they'd be left without a true fullback. Yes, they could put Hernandez in there or a linemen, but there are serious limitations with that approach. I think the Patriots need to start using the fullback more often (not all the time, but more than they've been doing), and the guy needs to have a running back's vision and experience. Still, Demps is such an intriguing prospect with enough potential impact, that, as a fan, I'd prefer to see them sacrifice the luxury of a second fullback than let Demps or Woodhead go. I know the Belichick Patriots prize versatility, but sometimes it's great to have someone who is great at a few things rather than someone who is average at many things. NOTE: I said "sometimes." My gut tells me that this season could be a time to do that at a few roster spots.

                  I think Demps and our 6th and 7th rounders (Ebner, Dennard, and Ebert) need to be on the final roster. Demps because of his kickoff return potential. Ebner because of his special teams coverage skills.(If it's a choice between Slater (who is great covering kicks but who is useless at wide receiver) and Ebner (who is potentially great at covering kicks but who has little experience at safety), I'd keep Ebner since both guys are the same size, but Ebner is faster. Besides, as a Rugby player you know he is tough. He won't make it to the practice squad.)  Dennard because he's corner who probably should have been drafted far earlier. Ebert because he's Wes Welker with the ability to catch the deep ball, and we don't know if Welker's Patriot future extends beyond this season. Again, this is a case where my gut says go with the guy who does a few things great over the guy who does a lot of things because it might mean cutting one of my favorite players, Julian Edleman. Ebert and Edleman both can play slot receiver and return punts. Edleman is also a former QB (giving us an emergency backup), and we've seen him at defensive back when the need arose. He has only shown single game flashes of being able to replace Welker and has durability issues though.

                  Scott Sheaffer
                  KmacAlp@...
                  Phantazine

                • Machado.Nicholas

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 19, 2012
                        Susan, did he play baseball in College AND HS or just HS?

                        Harry