Plusses and Minuses from Patriots Training Camp

  • Mark Morse
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2012
      We are a week away from the 1st preseason game and here is what we have learned:
       Plus
      Wide Receiver Competition – Best that I have ever seen in a Patriots camp.  No Branch, No Lloyd, No Problem … Stallworth looked super in last night in stadium season ticket holder practice.  Same for Edelman.  Missing two top players, you got to see Britt and Holley show their stuff.  Im not even talking about the steady performances of Jabbar Gaffney and Wes Welker.   Even Matt Slater had a catch while wearing the Red No Contact jersey.  Kinda unfair for the DB’s!
      Aaron Hernandez is having a great camp while Gronk has slipped back to earth the last few practices.  His one handed grab near the sideline drew raves from the fans.
      Brace and Cunningham have showed up!  Is this a case of a little too late?  I will say this, the lockout last year killed players like Cunningham and really hampered their development.   Brace has been knocking the snot out of Olineman in one on one drills.  Lets see this in action against Saints next week in practice and the game.
      OG Donald Thomas is emerging as a legitimate backup candidate while holding down the LG spot and keeping it warm for Logan Mankins.  Thomas has the size.  He had very little experience (only 4 years at UConn) before entering Scar’s school for porkers.
      Josh Barrett was the outside gunner on the 1st team punt unit and is in on all 4 ST units.  That’s a big tell that he could end up on the final roster as a ST ace.  No Tracy White (injury) could open a spot.
      Brandon Bolden has been opening eyes in camp and most people have him ahead of Shane Vereen on the depth chart.  Vereen has been terrific catching the ball out of the backfield, but so hasn’t Bolden.  Vereen is the up back on KO return team.

      Minus

      Dan Koppen is no longer taking 1st team snaps.  Ryan Wendell has beaten him out.  Koppen is losing badly in one on one blocking drills against DL.  He has lost at least 5 in a row.  Reports are that he has lost some of his foot speed and can’t plant himself and hold off the DL charge.
      I watched in amazement how badly Jeff Tarpinian whiffed at tackling in drills last night.  Now granted the drill was heavily slanted towards the offensive player, but Tarpinian was just tackling air!
      Sergio Brown … is he still on this team?  I have not heard a word on him all camp.

      Fullbacks – Larsen and Fiametta.  Larsen switched over to LB for a tackling drill last night and he did his best impression of Jeff Tarpinian  … if it was a talent contest, he would have won 1st place  … however it was a tackling drill and he looked horrible!  Unless he can win a spot on ST’s then there is no place for either of the FBs.  Fiametta is hurt and sat out practice last night.

      Mark Morse
      Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup
    • Machado.Nicholas