Re: [patriotzip] Pats snatch Ballard

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 12, 2012
      Ballard is a more than adequate TE, when healthy. Good move, IMO; assuming that they do, as you project, stash him on IR for now. Nice reserve to have for an offense that appears headed for significant use of the TE position all season.

      - George

      On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 8:11 AM, Machado.Nicholas <machado.nicholas@...> wrote:

      Giants cut him Monday and the Pats grabbed him today. Another TE, 6' 6",
      275, 38 receptions for 604 yards and four TD's in 13 games last year.
      Coming back from a torn ACL will likely begin the season on IR.

      http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4723719/agent-patriots-claim-te-ballard

      Harry

      --
      George - In NOV, the choice is clear and simple: 0bama or America!

      I stand by my personal belief that the foundation of the American way of life is made of two primary elements: individual freedom and individual responsibility. Barack Obama is trying to eliminate both. I hope you will join me in  strongly supporting Mitt Romney for President of the United States!

    • Mark Morse
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 13, 2012
        I think this a stupid move.  Ballard cannot help them this year and may never be able to come back from ACL and microfracture knee surgery.  They have to keep him on the 53 man roster through the final cutdown, then they can send him to IR.  As I see it getting down to 53 is going to be tough enough without giving up a spot to a player that can not play for you

        Mark Morse
        Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 13, 2012
          OOPS! I had lost sight of the 53 roster rule, Mark. In that case, I agree with you. I can't see keeping him on the 53, and likely losing a player who can contribute to waivers. I always tend to give BB the benefit of the doubt; but I sure wish I knew what he was thinking on this one.

          - George

          On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 7:51 PM, Mark Morse <packy001@...> wrote:

[...]

          George Richman
          Nongprue, Thailand
          (Expat and Vietnam veteran)
        • Machado.Nicholas
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 13, 2012
            What about the PUP list Mark? Could the Pats get some relief/room there or do they still wind up sacrificing a spot?

            Harry

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 14, 2012
                    First thing is the inverted vocabulary.  Since I was a kid, the scribes all write "he was put on waivers."  No.   The team with contractual rights to a player, in any league with a claims process, has an obligation to ask for "waivers" from the other teams, before the player can be released, unless the player is not subject to the process.  In baseball during the dark days before Marvin Miller, there was an implied lifetime obligation, whereby the team with whom you had previously signed had the exclusive right to negotiate with you for your entire career!  And if the team wanted to get rid of you, they could trade your contract, to another team who would benefit from this legal fiction, and if they couldn't trade you, either because there was no market or if was after June 15, they had to offer you around first, and only when the other teams "waived" their right to claim you could you be released.  The team with the worst record had first dibs to claim you.  So, what really happened was that your owner asked the other teams to claim you or to waive their right to do so, but the writers always said So and So "was put on waivers."

                    Once upon a time, in the AFL, there were two lists, on one of which you could recall your request for waivers, and on the other, you could not.  The San Diego Chargers put Jack Kemp on the wrong list, with the result that the Buffalo Bills claimed Kemp's contract for $100.  He took them to two AFL championships!   Today, in baseball, there's a process where teams can claim a player's contract before the owning team can "assign" him or release him; the scribed announce it as "designated for assignment."

                    Players would rather be free agents than have their contracts subject to the waiver process.  After a certain number of years of service, NFL players have a vested right not to have their release from a team subject to the waiver process.  Players so vested need not fear being claimed by the mid '00's Detroit Lions or the current Colts.  Such players can indeed develop a winking relationship with a team, and slide on and off the roster without being whisked away by the Buccaneers.  Examples in recent years include Junior Seau and New England, Kevin Faulk and New England, Andre Carter and New England, Brian Waters and New England.

                    The Patriots currently enjoy the opportunity to reduce their team at the beginning of September to 56, or 57, if you factor in Ross Ventrone.  Kevin Faulk and Brian Waters are on stand-by, and Andre Carter can delay his return without having to go on PUP.   Anyone concerned about any Ballard ballast on the roster should keep it in perspective.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 16, 2012
                      I think it's a good move. Even though the offense put up good overall numbers, two of the things that hurt it were not having a legit third tight end or fullback through much of the season. They carried Dan Gronkowski a few times and Polite who simply didn't look to have his old Dolphins' form.

                      Ballard was seriously injured not once, but twice last year. Before the first injury he was having a terrific season. Ballard wasn't the same when he came back, but the Giants needed him. Then he got hurt again in the Super Bowl. His contract is up after this year, but maybe the Pats could resign him at a bargain  and get themselves an excellent 3rd TE, capable of stepping in as a starter if needed. Ballard certainly provides more of a receiving threat than Nate Solder (who is need at tackle this season) or Marcus Cannon (a second year OL with lots of potential). I like that the Patriots have brought in a few real fullbacks this year (guys who can read holes like a running back and serve as a human GPS for the halfback and who provide a triple offensive threat -blocking, rushing, and receiving) and that they brought in Daniel Fells and other TE's. Ballard could provide a boost next year or maybe even late this season. At the least, he could give the Pats a bargaining chip when it comes time to negotiate a new contract with Aaron Hernandez.

                      Scott Sheaffer
                      KmacAlp@...
                      Phantazine