Corey Chavous analysis

  • frankdanabrewster
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2012
      Former NFL DB, and current draft guru Corey Chavous, weighed in on the Pats draft, pick by pick. Interesting stuff, particularly about Tavon Wilson...

      http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2012/04/30/draft-wizard-corey-chavous-assesses-the-patriots-picks/

      fdb
    • Machado.Nicholas
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2012
        "moved to safety seemlessly . . . . thought his best work would be at corner, but then when I saw him at safety, he takes really good angles . . . . really good movement skills. He bends well, he can play a lot of different positions . . . . mature kid who could start year one."

        It is beginning to look like Wilson could be the stud of round 2. :)

        Harry

        At 04:22 PM 4/30/2012 +0000, you wrote:

        Former NFL DB, and current draft guru Corey Chavous, weighed in on the Pats draft, pick by pick. Interesting stuff, particularly about Tavon Wilson...

        http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2012/04/30/draft-wizard-corey-chavous-assesses-the-patriots-picks/

        fdb

      • Scott Sheaffer
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2012
          Again, with Tavon Wilson, I was surprised and as disappointed as anyone else. So when he goes on to be a great player for the Pats, I won't be able to say "I knew it all along." He has to at least be an improvement over everyone except McCourty who lined up next to Chung. We heard communication was a problem throughout the season last year. Wilson is supposed to be a good leader and smart. When the Pats dumped Brandon Merriweather last year, we heard a lot about him taking bad angles. So Chavous's comment about angles caught my eye. The other thing is besides lining up beside Chung, Wilson mirrors the oft injured Chung in many ways. They're about the same size, the same speed. They both like to play physical and can come up strong against the run. Maybe Wilson provides insurance for that stretch of games Chung misses each year. For most of last season, having only one decent safety was bad enough. Having no decent safeties translates into a nightmare. I'm not saying the Pats have a great group of safeties yet, but come on! Gregory, Chung, and Wilson collectively are an improvement over Chung and Ihedigbo or any of those other guys who were even worse than #44. (I'm not including 6th Round Pick Ebner here even though he's listed as a safety. If he makes the team and gets called on to play, I hope he proves better than Ihedigbo too. I bet Ebner can at least tackle.) I figured the road to improvement lay in converting McCourty to safety, but if Wilson pans out, I hope McCourty regains his rookie form at corner, Dowling lives up to his potential, Dennard lives up to his potential and guys like Sterling Moore and Arrington keep playing well. Lots of hoping there, but as a fan, isn't that what it's all about?

          Scott Sheaffer
        • Mark Morse
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2012
            well said Scott!