Re: [patriotzip] Re: Willie was the fourth pick in the draft by the way

  • Machado.Nicholas
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 29 5:54 PM
      27-5 isn't bad for a team with a statistically poor defense although that could be a comment on statistics especially since they made it to the SB one of those years. Too bad BB had to make a choice between Sey and Wilfork but it appears now that he made the right one. I felt a lot more confident in the 'D' last year as they were usually able to get the big play when they needed it. Couldn't say that about some of the years before especially as the seasons got closer to and in the playoffs. Now that BB (hopefully) has his pass-rushing elephants a lot of pressure should come off of the rest of the Pats defense. If he found/finds enough to shore up the safety position the backfield should be fine. I don't see McCourty having the year he had last year again, part of which is attributable to injuries and maybe he had a little too much success his first year and relaxed.

      As bad as the head injury situation is in the NFL it is far worse in the NHL where it is still legal to slam players heads into the boards with your hip, an elbow to the head is usually a two minute minor penalty and other niceties that keeps hockey a 'tough' sport. I'm not advocating that they change over to figure-skating but when your best players are being knocked out of the game with concussions, some permanently, there is something very wrong. The Bruins attempted to defend their Stanley Cup without two of their best scorers this year because of cuncussions. Before helmets came in and they made them mandatory there were far less concussions. As serious as the problem is the frequency and severity of concussions in the NFL is much lower.

      No argument that Welker is one of the toughest NFL players. Coming back from his knee injury was typical Welker. No fanfare but he was back sooner than just about anyone expected and played at the same level he did before the injury. But have to agree with Zip that his value as a franchise pick is limited.

      Stallworth says it will be different this time and I am really looking forward to seeing Lloyd.

      One of BB's best traits is he doesn't seem to take much at all, if anything, personally and he doesn't hold grudges. He is also very loyal to his players.

      Ty Law, now there is a blast from the past. Did he ever get enough food for his family? :)

      Harry

      At 06:21 PM 4/28/2012 -0700, you wrote:

      We're 27-5 over two regular seasons, and still miss Seymour.  It's an ugly business, especially the head injuries, but I remember the Carolina game, 2009, the Tardy Boys Week game, and on the winning drive, Welker starts with a concussion catch for a first down, and added three more catches going down the field, over the middle.  With a concussion.  And you remember how his season ended, getting mugged by a groundskeeper in Houston.

      Twelve hours older than my daughter, Wes Welker is the closest I will ever come to having a son in the NFL.   When I thought we would lose Wilfork, I hoped I was wrong.   Now, with Welker perhaps facing a one year tag and no guarantee beyond that, I'm thinking we need to get younger at wide-out, although for 2012 I hope we see Welker, Stallworth, Branch, and Lloyd, all of whom are geezers, but very soon, we need to say goodbye as we needed to do with Bruschi, Vrabel, and Harrison.  And in a few years, we will need a quarterback!

      When Ty Law tried to get fired, Belichick didn't take it personally.  He understands the deal.

      From: Machado.Nicholas <machado.nicholas@...>

      Hey Zip,

      I agree that Willie and Tedy Bruschi often have their locker-room-enforcer suits on when they criticize Pats players. But Welker's numbers do bear McGinest out in his observation that the Pats provided an arena where Welker could prosper. Perhaps Welker would have prospered no matter where he went.

      I also agree that Welker's skill set is perfect for the job BB wants him to do. And I do not hold Welker's SB missed catch against him though I thought I noticed a slight drop-off in his sure-handedness this year but I attribute that to coming back from a surgically repaired knee for the most part.

      I think the troubling thing for me is that these players who hold out will play for BB and accept his genius for the game and coaching but they challenge him on his team salary structure. BB has made it clear over and over again that the Pats do things a little different and that is what makes them the team where a player has the best or one of the best chances to go deep in the playoffs and have a shot at winning a SB. If he pays one or two players super-star money it upsets the whole scheme and takes away talent from another area and significantly diminishes those chances. This isn't brain surgery, it is very easy to understand but guys like Mankins, Wilfork, Seymour et al all feel the need to get a little more. And that is all it amounts to, is a little more money which IMHO caused Samuel and Branch to very possibly cost the Pats a SB win or two. I give BB a whole lot of credit for his determination and ability to hold the line and only bend when he really has too.

      That said I agree that Welker has earned a long term deal, I just hope he wants to make sure the blockers that spring him and everyone else on the team that help make him a star get paid well enough to make sure he continues to be a star.

      Harry

      At 07:52 AM 4/26/2012 -0400, you wrote:

      I loved Willie and appreciate many of his contributions to the team. I really think this statement was more about getting media attention than his real thought or reality.

      Part of Wes success, like many Patriots through the past few years, is how well the system matches their skill set. I love his reads, quickness and work ethic. He really shines in this system more than he might in many others. I do not want to lose him from this team by any stretch as the impact would be very significant. Even as his age and the hits increase he s got some significant contributions ahead if we can find the right price for those. In all of that, I have not seen him react negatively in any way to the process of the negotiations.

      If it s the right deal I hope we get it done, if it s the wrong deal I ll accept him playing for a franchise salary this year and wonder how long that can work. He will not be franchise value for more than 1-2 years I think.

      Go Pats happy Draft Day!

      Randy/Zip

      www.2020visionquest.org