Re: [patriotzip] Wilson a reach? Not to Belichick

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28 10:16 PM
      AMEN! to this. Perhaps the best line I've seen from a Patriots' fan in all the years I've been on the internet with them came from long time Patriots' fan, Phil Wilson. He posted it on Facebook, after seeing all of the weeping and wailing from several of the fans who spend countless hours every season on predicting the NFL draft. He paraphrased a classic movie line with: "I love the smell of burning draftniks in the morning. I know it's wrong but I do love it so." Congratulations to Phil on that one!

      I acknowledge that, for many years, I was among those who engage in the pre-draft study and prediction game. The older I got, and the more I learned about the actual process used by NFL teams, the more I realized what a waste of time it is. Very, very few "draftnik" fans see most of the prospects play at all. And, if they do see them, it is, in most cases, in 1 or 2 games. All the drafniks do is read what others are saying, pick and choose from those they like, and present that information as their own "analysis". They deserve even less credit for "hitting" on a pick than Obama does for shooting Osama Bin Laden! (And that is nearly zero!)

      But, as a former draftnik, I do understand that it is a fun hobby. I thoroughly enjoyed it for many years, until the reality I just explained truly sank in. Then I moved on to other things. Good luck to those who get enjoyment out of spending so many hours on this part of the great game of professional football. As I've always said, anything that a person can enjoy, without harming others, is their right; and, as long as that enjoyment lasts, is not a waste of time for them.

      The article below presents the reality that came to me as well as any I've ever seen. Like it's author, Mike Reiss, I'll just trust that Bill Belichick, who has brought his teams to 5 Super Bowls as a Head Coach, winning 3 of them, will use the actual personal observation of players on the field, and professional football knowledge that he and his scouts possess, to make decisions for this team. My job is to support them, and enjoy their consistently excellent performance each season.

      - George

      On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 5:28 AM, Machado.Nicholas <machado.nicholas@...> wrote:

      Good article on BB/Patriots scouting as opposed to the NFL scouting
      industry. "He (Belichick) doesn't make picks based on perception. Instead,
      he relies on a thorough scouting process over 365 days a year rather than
      what feeds the majority of the knee-jerk reaction crowd -- a 365-page
      scouting book that details each prospect."

      The rest of the league knew about as much about Wilson as they knew about
      Vollmer. Expect Wilson to be a very good prospect.

      http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7865727/tavon-wilson-reach-round-2-not-bill-belichick

      Harry

      __

    • Machado.Nicholas
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 29 5:35 PM
        I think Reiss meant draftnicks like Central Scouting, ESPN's Scouts Inc., USA Today's NFL draft preview, the Combine and the rest that are considered 'experts' and make a pretty good living at it as opposed to BB's system.

        And didn't Mark and Ed, who really are draftnicks because they do it non-professionally, beat most or all of them on their first round predictions?

        Harry

        At 12:16 PM 4/29/2012 +0700, you wrote:

[...]

        "In politics, stupidity is not a handicap."--Napolean Bonaparte (1769-1821)