Koppen returning to Patriots

  • Mark Morse
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13, 2012
      Bert Breer NFL Network reports Dan Koppen is re-signing with the Patriots for a 2 year $6M contract.  What does this mean?  Is Brian Waters retiring?  Is Matt Light retiring?  Will dan Connolly move to OG?

      Very surprised by this signing.  I thought Koppen was a goner.

      Mark Morse
      Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 13, 2012
        I view this as good news. Koppen is still an outstanding Center,
        despite his difficulty with big pass rushers. I hope Waters will give
        us another year. He proved conclusively last year that there's plenty
        left in the tank. We still need to draft both a C and a G for the
        future, IMO. But I think that Koppen, Waters, and Connolly is a fine
        opening day middle of the OL.

        - George

        On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 11:44 PM, Mark Morse <packy001@...> wrote:
        > Bert Breer NFL Network reports Dan Koppen is re-signing with the Patriots for a 2 year $6M contract.  What does this mean?  Is Brian Waters retiring?  Is Matt Light retiring?  Will dan Connolly move to OG?
        >
        > Very surprised by this signing.  I thought Koppen was a goner.
        >

        > Mark Morse
        > Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup
        > http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/RazorsEdgeTailgate/
      • Scott Sheaffer
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 14, 2012
          I view this as good news. Koppen is still an outstanding Center,
          despite his difficulty with big pass rushers. I hope Waters will give
          us another year. He proved conclusively last year that there's plenty
          left in the tank. We still need to draft both a C and a G for the
          future, IMO. But I think that Koppen, Waters, and Connolly is a fine
          opening day middle of the OL.

          - George

          George,

          Don't forget Marcus Cannon as I think he ultimately ends up at guard where he's going to be a beast. The Pats have been drafting a lot of talented players with major injury/ health issues in college in the hopes of getting a steal in the draft. It worked with great with Gronkowski. We only got half of a great season as a kick returner from Brandon Tate before he went into a tailspin. The jury is still out on Ras I Dowling and Cannon.

          If this drafting trend continues, maybe the Pats will take a chance on WR Greg Childs from Arkansas. Childs is 6'3 and 219 lbs, has a knack for getting in the best position, and winning jump balls. He also played in a pro style offense which according to our 3rd string QB, Ryan Mallet, is very similar to New England's offense. Some experts see the Pats drafting Stephen Hill who is faster than Childs and about the same size, but Hill despite incredible physical skills has a lot of negatives as fit for the Pats. I mean maybe he'll be great in the Pros, but he'd have a hard time here where even established vets like Ocho Cinco, Joey Galloway, and Torry Holt struggle to learn the offense. Nobody knows how well Hill will do even running basic pass routes as he primarily ran fly patterns and smoke routes. Both guys are good blockers.
          Belichick never does what I expect in the draft, but here it goes anyway. I'm thinking defense in the first round and hoping they pick up Childs after that.

          Anyway, don't forget Cannon as a guard instead of a tackle. Plus Gallery may not have lived to being the high first rounder the Raiders drafted, but he's still a good.

          Scott Sheaffer
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 14, 2012
            Yes, Scott, I agree with you on Cannon. There is a lot of potential there; but, as always with the "p" word, who knows if it will materialize. Same with Gallery. We've seen before that the "Patriot way" will sometimes motivate talented veterans to produce better than they were able to elsewhere. Corey Dillon, Anthony Pleasant, and Mike Vrabel come immediately to mind. In addition to Gallery, I have high hopes for the same "rebirth" for DE Trevor Scott. I think he could prove to be a very pleasant surprise for us.

            With 13 FAs signed from other teams this year, training camp is going to be exciting to follow, even from my distance. The competition is going to be tough at almost every position for both starting and especially backup spots. And that's just with what we have on the roster now, without the rookies that we'll add in a couple of weeks. In particular, I see a really fierce battle in the D-backfield, and at WR. The additions of Will Allen, Marquise Cole, and Steve Gregory really upgrade the overall group of D-backs in that fight; and the same is true of the additions of WRs Donte Stallworth and Anthony Gonzalez for the back end of the WR corps. Yes, sir, training camp will be fun!

            As for the draft, I, too, would like to see the first pick go to a D player, preferably a good pass rushing DE or OLB. But, as you said, predicting Bellichick in the draft is like trying to predict exactly where a tornado will touch down! I'm just looking forward to the excitement of it.

            - George