Beating Oakland

  • PatriotZip
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 12, 2002
      Oakland broke their streak (fortunately IMO) and looked very sharp in
      the process. They certainly have a year's worth of Patriotic
      Hostility built up - and next Sunday night it emerges. Anyone care
      to share their thoughts on this very big match? What will it take
      for New England to beat Oakland - and vice-versa?
    • Christopher Robert Woods
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 12, 2002
        I feel more confident about the Oakland game than I
        did about the Buffalo game.

        Oakland has way too much pent up emotion about this
        game and their crybaby act during the offseason when
        they walked out on the ref only reinforces this.

        They are going to pull a Bledsoe and play like crap
        because it matters too much to them, IMHO.

        --- PatriotZip <patriotzip@...> wrote:
        > Oakland broke their streak (fortunately IMO) and
        > looked very sharp in
        > the process. They certainly have a year's worth of
        > Patriotic
        > Hostility built up - and next Sunday night it
        > emerges. Anyone care
        > to share their thoughts on this very big match?
        > What will it take
        > for New England to beat Oakland - and vice-versa?

        =====
        Christopher Robert Woods - tradebledsoe@...
        "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public." - HL Mencken

        http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
      • Rob Bosch
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 12, 2002
          I think...if Oakland is smart..they will pound Charlie Garner at the Pats.
          I'm not sure if the Pats will have an answer for this. I have no faith in
          the Pats run defense at the moment. Otherwise, the Raiders look a lot like
          the Patriots on offense. They use a very high percentage, short passing
          game. They will take a long shot once in a while. Jerry Porter being covered
          by Terrell Buckley scares me...a lot. Terrell Buckley covering anybody
          scares me a lot. The Pats simply have to win some of the one on one battles
          at the line of scrimmage. They have to force Garner to the outside, and then
          pray that somebody can get over there to tackle him. He's a lot tougher than
          his size would indicate. The Pats will be physical with the Raider wideouts.
          They are not a speedy group and I think the Pats match up well with them
          (except for Buckley). I don't expect the Pats to get any pass rush on
          Gannon...they don't get much of a pass rush on anybody. They are better off
          dropping a lot of guys into coverage anyway since Gannon gets rid of the
          ball so quickly.

          On offense the Pats will more than likely stick with their short passing
          game. I have a feeling that this game will mark the return of Deion Branch.
          The Pats have to spread the ball around, and mix in a heavy dose of Antowain
          Smith. I think they can wear down the Raider defense, since it is an older
          defense that has spent a lot of time on the field lately. They also have one
          less day of rest and I think that can be exploited.

          I have a feeling this game might be a classic. I have been looking forward
          to this one for a long time. I think these teams are evenly matched and in a
          lot of ways mirror each other. This game could go either way folks.

          -Pats Freak