Post Combine Patriots Mock Draft

  • Mark Morse
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2012
      Based off the latest info from the combine, I am ready to post my updated Patriots Mock Draft ... here goes !!!

      27. Kendall Reyes DT UConn - underrated 3-4 DE with all the physical attributes including speed, strength (34 reps) and long arms.

      31. TRADE down to #39 for 2013 #2 pick

      39. Harrison Smith SS Notre Dame - This could be Mark Barron depending on how far he falls (double sports hernia). Smith is like a LB playing Safety. His ability to play in the box and cover TE's and RB's is key.

      48. Shea McClellin LB Boise St. - incredibly athletic DE that showed at the combine that he has what it takes to make the transition to OLB in 3-4. He has the measurable that BB required for the position.

      63. Josh Robinson CB Central Florida - Compare his measurable against Devin McCourty. Robinson's are better. He is an inch shorter but slightly heavier. Check the tape of him against AJ Green of Georgia ... held him to 77 yards and no TDs. Nobody threw against him last year. 38 starts in his 3 years at UCF.

      94. TRADED for #116 & 158 (CIN)

      116. Marvin Jones WR CAL - Gifted and productive starting 38 games and having at least one catch in 38 straight games. Big receiver at 6'2" but still ran 4.46.

      126. Devon Wylie WR Fresno St. - One of the fastest and quickest WR's in the draft. He is also an excellent PR . A Welker clone. Despite his short stature, I think he is put together well enough to handle the pounding in the slot. Pat Hill connection with BB

      158. TRADE 176 & 189 (PHI)

      176. Derek Wolfe DT Cincinnatti - Big East Defensive Player of the Year. Has good motor and will put pressure on the QB from DT position. Reminds me of former Bearcat Mike Wright. 9.5 Sacks and 19.5 TFL as Senior.

      189. George Bryan TE North Carolina St - Very productive career at NC ST under Tom Obrien. He is slow ... over5.0 40. Excellent receiver in short areas ... not a deep threat. "Hands of glue, about as good as you will see in the sport of football" . Good in line blocker too. 1st team ACC three years, 4 year starter.

      Mark Morse
      Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2012
        You posted this before I could ask about it...lol!
        Love that description of "hands of glue" for George Bryan!

        Is there anything written about what BB was looking at in the combine? I have looked on websites and I don't know how or what to look for with regard to the combine.

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 7
           Ok ... the underwear Olympics has come and gone.  I didn't spend nearly the amount of time I have in the past watching these prospective NFL players go through the drills and measurements.  However, the numbers don't lie.  Some players helped themselves and others hurt themselves.  Here is a mock draft based upon CBS Sports/ NFL Draft Scout rankings as of 3/7.

          1 (12) CLE trades their pick #12 to Patriots for Jimmy G

          OJ Howard TE Alabama – Most athletic TE in the draft since Gronk.  He can do it all and Alabama hardly used him at all.

          1 (32) Adoree Jackson CB USC  5’ 10” 195 4.42, 36” Vert and 10’ 2” BJ.   Olympic level athleticism, excels in all three phases of the game.  1st team All-American.  Thorpe Award winner. Kick and Punt returner.

          2 (64) Tim Williams LB Alabama 6’ 3” 244, 4.68,  Extremely fast.  Admitted Drug Use during his numerous interviews with teams at the combine.  This will drop him down from a 1st round candidate to the Pats at the end of Round 2.

          3 (96) Jordan Willis DE Kansas State 6’ 4” 255, 4.53, 24 reps @225#, 39” Vert, 10’ 4” BJ.  He may have helped himself the most at the combine, his 40 is RB speed.  Perfect as a 4-3 OLB/DE.

          3 (103) C -  From CLE for Jaime Collins.  First year that teams can trade their compensatory picks.

          Tanoh Kpassagnon DE Villanova 6’7”  289, 4.83 – Extremely raw with incredible potential.  Mr. Olympia body.  Room to add weight and move inside in pass rush situations.  Incredible wingspan.

          4 (137) Taywan Taylor WR Western Kentucky 5’ 11” 203 4.50, 11 BJ, 6.57 3- cone.  Yes we have solid WRs but they are getting up there in age.  Taylor has that magic 3- cone number that the Patriots key on.  His 6.57 is better than Edelman’s 6.62.  He has been very productive for W. Kentucky (89 rec, 1586 yds, 16 TDs in 2016 and 1363 yds and 17 TDs in 2015).

          5 (163) Trey Hendrickson DE Florida Atlantic 6’ 4” 266, 4.65 He had a terrific week at the East/West Shrine practices (couldn’t be stopped).  Easily switch to a standup 3-4 LB.  Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year.  Plays Special Teams too with 4 career Blocks.

          5 (183) Jaylen Myrick CB Minnesota 5’ 10” 200 4.28 37 ½ Vert 7.06 3-cone.  Blew the scouts away with his unexpected 40 time.  Don’t expect him to be available here, but right now this is where he is projected.

          7 (239) Aviante Collins OG TCU, 6’4” 295 4.81  34 reps@ 225#  This guy is not even in the top 300 players but he got an invite to the Combine and blew away the other porkers.  His 4.81 is faster than Kpassagnon’s 4.83.  I think he needs to be converted to DL and take advantage of that speed.

          Mark Morse
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7
            WOAAAA, Mark! No way the Browns give up the #1 for Jimmy G. MAYBE they give up the #12; but absolutely not the #1, UNLESS the Patriots give them something like their R1 pick, plus a R3 or R4. But Jimmy G ONLY for the #1 won't happen.

            --- George
            Once Again PROUD to be an American!

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 7
              George,

              That is the CLE #12 pick ...  Patriots are asking for two #1's, this year and next year.  This deal is happening, but we have to go through this dance.  Mary Kay Cabot is the shill for the Browns and she is leaking their propaganda as is Mike Reiss and Howe.  The deal will get done and it will be at least #12 (2nd 1st Rd pick this year) and 3rd this year.

              Cabot has been selling the CLE fans on Garret and Jimmy G.

              Mark Morse