Re: [patriotzip] The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Giants)

  • Ed Bryant
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 6, 2012
      Chris, the last time an NFC team went to consecutive Super Bowls was in SB 31 and 32, which is more recently than Dallas.

      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 7, 2012

        Yeah, that was my bad, Ed--I had started that observation and wasn't complete in my thinking...lol! I was thinking back to back wins, but hadn't realized the Slackers had been in twice--they got back in after they beat us in 1997. Bad omen? I hope not...Denver slapped them with a loss. Sure hope it's us back in next year with a win against any other NFC than the Giants.

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 19, 2015
          Sorry everyone. The message got stuck in the outbox and didn't sent. I guess it better late than never.

          The Good
          - 9 and 0 with a nearly insurmountable division lead. 2 more wins and we lock in a playoff position. Another year guaranteed a winning record.
          - Really he no longer deserves to be here but there is no category for great. Ghost is a stud. 21 out of 21 this year, 56 for 58 since the start of last year and 94 out of 99 since 2013. His current streak is 30 and he has made 12 of his last 13 tries from beyond 50. He now holds the record for FGs for the Pats passing Vin. We have been blessed for the last 20 years with never having to worry if they were going to make the FG.
          - Amendola really stepped up for us. 10 catches and a huge punt return. Got open for a game saving 4th down conversion and made an unsung play by turning the last catch up-field for an additional 5 or 6 yards. He will really need to play well with JE11 on the shelf.
          - I really thought Butler held up well against ODB. The final play was really well defended and it was a perfect pass and a great route for the (almost) catch. Knocking it out was smart (and no, he did not complete the catch).
          - Do the Pats even need to be out there for the coin toss? Ever since coingate came out (with that moron stating that we were winning the coin toss at an unfair rate), we have lost 3 in a row. All we do, however, is march down the field and score. This time it took over 8 minutes. What a drive.
          - Slater seems to get hurt every game but he keeps coming back. Dodged a bullet there.
          - Jones continues to get to the QB. The strip sack was at a perfect time.
          - LaFell is rounding into form. The long catch was really nice and he was open a couple of other times as well. He's not a traditional deep threat but he'll be big in the coming weeks.
          - I was waiting all game for the seam pass to Gronk. Fortunately, the DBs decided to tackle each other. The latest scandal of safety gate will come out this week. BB, being the evil mastermind he is, released Meriwether 3 years ago and then, after getting himself released by Washington, gets signed by the Giants. All part of the master plan to allow the Pats to win this game. 4 years in the making but BB plan works beautifully.
          - Don't know if anyone else noticed but on third down (on the final drive), TB stepped up in the pocket and looked like he wanted to run. He had about 8 yards of open field. Instead, he threw incomplete. It was an extremely smart play. If he runs, he's not going to make the first down. The clock continues to run and they have to rush the 4th down play. Instead, with the clock stopped, they have time to think about the call and work a play that gets them the yardage needed.
          - The final "Stanford" play by the Giants was awesome. I lost count with the laterals but everything was completely legal. One of the backwards passes looked like a forced fumble as the returner was popped by someone.
          - Is there anyone better than BB at clock management? He takes the timeout just when needed. Understands the situation and give his team the best opportunity to win. Sometimes you get lucky (i.e. the Butler breakup at 2:01 gaining another play) but the strategy is solid.
          - The top ranked Portland Bulldogs defeated the #3 seed Windham Eagles 24-7 to win the Class A North Championship. The undefeated Bulldogs put their 10 and 0 record on the line when they face the second seeded and class A south champion Thornton Academy Trojans (9-1) for the Maine class A state title. The game is this Saturday and Fitzpatrick stadium in Portland at 11:06 am. Since giving up 14 points in week 5, the Portland defense has come alive and given up a total of 14 points, while scoring 235 points since then. It's gold ball time. We are PHS. Go Dogs.

          The Bad
          - JE11 was a huge part of our offence and he is nearly impossible to replace. Hopefully, he will be back for the playoffs. If it is the same injury as what Dez just went through, he was back in 6. There are 7 weeks left to the season and with the way it looks, the Pats will have a first round bye. This means he has 8 weeks to get ready. Completely doable. Keep your collective fingers crossed.
          - I really didn't see a hold on the Blount TD. The DL in the middle was being blocked and looked to dive to try and grab Blount's leg. Andrews fell on top of him at that point. That cost us 7 points.
          - I really thought the officiating was pretty bad. Why is it OK for a DB to bump a WR in the 5 yard area (even knocking him down) but it's not ok for the WR? (or in our case, a TE). Giant's WRs were creating space all game by pushing off but they were never called for it.
          - Don't know about a couple of those Brady throws. The one in the red zone was way behind the WR. That was a huge pick. On the final drive, he woefully under threw the open WR and was lucky that wasn't picked. A late fumble too? Ball security needs to improve a little.
          - Why would you call a rollout at the goal line at the end of the game. NY rolls Manning to the right to try and get someone open but that essentially takes away half the field and only allows 1 or 2 guys to work. He was smart to slide before going OOB but that didn't seem like a play that was going to succeed.
          - It really wasn't a great performance by the OL but again, we have a center playing right tackle and a practice squad signee at guard. 4th string left tackle and a rookie free agent at center. That's not a recipe for success.
          - Need to get a little more pressure on the QB to help out the DBs. We were really going for a while but have tailed off lately. Does Collins really make that much of a difference?

          The Ugly
          - Manning the elder. 5 for 20 for 35 yards and 4 picks? The end is here. The king is dead, long live the king.
          - Phil Simms. At the start of the game he said the Giants chose to kick because he thought they wanted to take advantage of the Pat's makeshift OL. After we march down and score, he said the Giants should have received because he didn't want to see the Pat's O on the field. I used to like him, now he is sounding more and more like an idiot.
          - We need to teach our guys to tackle the other team. McCourty tackled Butler on the long TD to ODB and then Harmon tackled Amendola on the punt return. Maybe we thought we were at home in the blue jerseys?
          - Jason McCourty goes down with a groin injury. I guess it's a good thing we didn't trade for him.
          - Elvis Dumervil's last second, 15 yard facemask penalty putting Jax in FG range costing Baltimore a win.

          Dave
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 19, 2015

            Thanks as usual, Dave!

            We always know you’re going to come through!!

            Congrats on the football in your own family…that’s great.

            BB is such a master at everything…yeah, clock management, halftime adjusting, players put in when others are injured, and on and on.

            Also, our players are masters at TEAMWORK—they step up when needed and adjust when needed. Like a chess match and we usually always yell “checkmate”…I love it!

            You didn’t comment on the bad seed in town showing up at Giants stadium—most likely with his gloat sign in hand. Sorry Mr. Baddy, you lose…just can’t keep em down.

            Susan

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 19, 2015
              Dave,

              I have to disagree on the Andrew Holding call.  He was cleanly beat to the inside and dove and tackled the defender.  An Obvious call.

              Congrats to Ben and his team!  Is he seeing any playing time?  I vividly remember when my son played in the state championship (1A - a step below the top teams in the state).  They played at Gillette and the games were broadcast on TV.  They won and my son ended up on the front page of the local newspaper.

              Mark Morse

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 19, 2015
                Sent from my iPhone

                > On Nov 19, 2015, at 7:58 AM, Levine, David via patriots <patriots@...> wrote:
                > .The Bad
                > - Why would you call a rollout at the goal line at the end of the game. NY rolls Manning to the right to try and get someone open but that essentially takes away half the field and only allows 1 or 2 guys to work. He was smart to slide before going OOB but that didn't seem like a play that was going to succeed.

                Primetime did a great analysis of that play. The Pats showed man coverage, the Giants had a pick play called on the right side which is perfect for man coverage. The Pats were either in disguised man and switched to zone or they had an adjustment to a perceived pick play where the 2 defenders switched assignments. It looked more like an adjustment to me but either way it completely foiled the play leaving Eli with no one open.

                Brewgnat