OH, yeah!! Best record...

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 19, 2011
      I'm yelling with unabashed joy right now!! We're in the driver's seat now!!
      The Whiners helped us out--used to hate that team (from Rams days), but I'm over that one. The Packers could go ahead and lose overall best record to SF--long shot but possible. Some interesting matchups shaping up.

      There is no clear favorite right now for the SB (from what I see)--but I'm starting to like our chances as well as anyone else's. Other teams are also showing weaknesses and TB is shaping up to be that dangerous playoff guy. Anyone notice his hair is back to normal? That might be a factor as well...lol!

      GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • frankdanabrewster
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 20, 2011
        Amazing to reflect upon; being the #1 seed. With all our perceived weaknesses, to be in this position is quite a feat. Four centers, WR's playing DB, multiple injuries (and now another with Carter). Say what you want about BB's personnel moves, this season says volumes about his coaching acumen.

        32nd in total defense, yet tied for 14th (with Green Bay) in scoring defense. Being second in total offense, and 3rd in scoring offense certainly helps.

        BTW, is it me, or are Slater and Edelman the best tacklers on this team? Go figure...

        fdb

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 20, 2011
          Well said on all points, Frank. I have been one of the strongest critics of the defense this season; which leaves me as one of the most surprised and pleased at the Patriots' current position. Most of us in this group have been NFL fans long enough to have heard the "experts" tell us repeatedly about the importance of continuity in the O-line, and most particularly at the critical C position. In addition to that, BB had to deal with the transition from All-Pro RG Neal; and the rotation (due to injury) at RT. Similar injury issues have hit the team at LB and, of course, among the DBs.

          I have been bewildered by how a team so thin at DB can cut as many as BB has cut this season. Yet, somehow, here they are at the top of the AFC!

          You know, of course, that BB will get very little recognition for Coach of the Year honors. But, regardless of what happens from this point on, I believe that he has done the best coaching job of anyone in the AFC. (Gotta give major props to Jim Harbaugh in the NFC; and maybe even give him the nod for NFL COY.)

          As for the tackling of Edelman and Slater, that's really been no surprise. Both have been doing that on STs for a couple of seasons now. The weakness remains in their ability to cover. However, I believe that I see evidence that their work ethic and basic football intelligence is bringing about significant improvement in that. I've even been wondering lately if they might not be converted to Safety as their primary position next season. Why not? A full off-season of work there, considering their aforementioned aptitude and attitude, and it may be that each of them could become much better than average at Safety.

          I still don't feel a high level of confidence in the team's ability to hold a quality NFL passing attack down well enough to beat such a team, if that team also has a very good D. But I also no longer feel that a "One and Done" is inevitable this season. I have hope far beyond what I felt just 2-3 weeks ago, because of the improvement I see in that "spit and chewing gum" secondary. Somehow, they're actually beginning to cover receivers reasonably well.

          With fingers locked in the crossed position; I look forward to the rest of our games; however many that may be. :-)