Details on the slide rule (heh)

  • Rich Carreiro
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 12, 2011
      Here's the official rule on hitting QBs while sliding:

      An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended when a
      runner declares himself down by sliding feet first on the
      ground. The ball is dead the instant the runner touches the
      ground with anything other than his hands or his feet

      (1) A defender must pull up when a runner begins a feet-first
      slide. This does not mean that all contact by a defender is
      illegal. If a defender has already committed himself, and the
      contact is unavoidable, it is not a foul unless the defender
      commits some other act, such as helmet-to-helmet contact or by
      driving his forearm or shoulder into the head or neck area of the
      runner.

      (2) A runner who desires to take advantage of this protection is
      responsible for starting his slide before contact by a defensive
      player is imminent; if he does not, and waits until the last
      moment to begin his slide, he puts himself in jeopardy of being
      contacted.

      So if the QB waits too long to start sliding, there's no penalty unless
      something else (like head-to-head) happens. I think Brady slid late
      enough that there should have been no penalty.

      And even Brady admitted that:

      "I thought it was a really clean play by him. I think we're
      pretty fortunate we got the call," Brady said.
      (http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4712069/brady-says-fletcher-hit-clean)

      --
      Rich Carreiro rlcarr@...
    • Don Diamant
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 12, 2011

        It’s a moot point any way as the official deemed it a hit to the helmet, not hitting a sliding QB, which didn’t happen.

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SbG86-aHNk

        Don