The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Eagles)

  • Levine, David
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2011
      The Good
      - Um, where do I start. Brady? Welker? How about Branch. The Twig had a great game and showed why he is valuable to this team. The broken play down the sideline was a perfect example. Following Brady's lead, he burned the DB on the 3rd move and headed down the sideline. The cutback to the middle of the field was fantastic but he should have kept going that way and probably would have scored.
      - BJGE continues to make the most of his limited opportunities. Punching the ball in from close range twice and running hard every other time.
      - Nice to see Vereen and Ridley get some touches. Both seem like they could be good players for us in the future.
      - Special teams dominated the return game. Both Zoltan and Ghost kept the Philly returners at bay.
      - I really like the way Edelman plays. He is full out all the time. The tackle on Young, one on one, was textbook.
      - Hernandez had a very nice game. Made a couple of difficult catches and also got the key first down on our 1st scoring drive.
      - Molden's INT was a very well played ball. He may actually be a player for us.
      - Love the fact that we are scoring just before the half and then get the ball to start the 3rd Q. Back to back scores really changes the complexion of the game.
      - That 4th Q drive to put the game away was a masterpiece. Nice mix of run and pass. Quick plays, long plays. It had everything.
      - Gronk continues to shine.
      - Before the game got out of hand, our 3rd down D only allowed 1 out of 10. Not a bad day's work.

      The Bad
      - I almost had the feeling we were in for a long day and a letdown game after the first 2 series. The long pass was actually well covered, just a better throw and catch. Holding for a FG actually gave me hope.
      - Holy cow, can we stop with the injuries already?
      - If DeSean wasn't such a head case, the score could have been a little closer that it shows. He dropped 2 TDs that could have kept the Eagles in the game. Hard to tell though as we just kept scoring every time we touched the ball.
      - Another easy miss my Ghost followed by a bomb later in the game. Against a better team, those points could be costly.
      - The Jets snuck by and beat the Bills. Sanchez is getting all sorts of props for leading them to another win. I was hoping they would lose and their season over with.
      - No one is giving the Denver D any credit for these wins. With Tebow taking all the credit, no one sees that the O is still bad. Their D is keeping them in the game.
      - Vollmer still looks hurt and slower than usual. I would like to see us rest him for a game and see if we can get him back in shape.

      The Ugly
      - Dierdork is really bad. Didn't understand what was going on a couple of times and just started making stuff up. Never really corrected himself, just changed what he was saying and kept rolling. He really gets on my nerves.
      - Anyone got an arm? Houston is looking for a QB. Please don't let it be Favre.
      - Suh is a great player but his actions cost his team a win. He should be gone for a game or 2 as well.
      - Do you think BB would put up with DeSean Jackson's antics if he were the coach. At least Ried benched him for the 4th Q.

      Dave
    • Levine, David
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2015
        I just don't have the energy to put much into this one. Sorry guys.

        The Good
        - Other than Kline, it looks like no one else got hurt.
        - The pass to Brady. I was watching the play and thought they would direct snap it when he was over the tackle. I never thought, however, they would reverse it and throw to him. Nice play design and huge gain.
        - It's great to complain when your team is 10 and 2. There are 26 other teams in the league that wish they had our problems right now.
        - I actually thought the refs were good. The only play I thought was wrong was the late PI call. Not that it wasn't PI, I thought the ball was tipped so there is no penalty. Could be wrong from the TV though
        - Our D is going to be fine for the playoffs. The DBs are solid, our line is good. With Hightower healthy, we can get back to pressuring more. He is that much better than Mayo. Faster and stronger.
        -
        The Bad
        - Pretty much everything. We are so out of sorts without Gronk and Edelman that I don't know if we are going far in the playoffs.
        - I hate the quick snap after a big play. We always get stuffed and lose yardage. Once we were down on the 1, we should have brought Blount in with the extra lineman and crammed it down their throat. No reason to do anything other than run 3 times to score.
        - We are trying to get too cute. The onsides kick up 14-0 was stupid. A drop kick. Really? Throwing it twice inside the 5 after the quick run for a loss. Looking for the long pass over and over. Where are the screens and quick slants that we usually use? Brady is holding the ball a lot longer than usual.

        The Ugly
        - A pick 6 at the goal line, a terrible blocked punt for a TD at the end of the half and pathetic coverage on the punt. If we throw incomplete on the pick instead of forcing it, that is a 10 point swing (-7 for the TD and +3 for the FG). No excuse for the blocked punt. We need to be in max protect there. That's another 7. Right there is 17 points. We win going away.
        - Dallas vs. Washington. Wow.
        - FOX Sports. I hate watching it because the camera work is terrible. They missed numerous plays because they were too focused on close-ups of people, whether on the field, sidelines or stands. The greatest play of the year (pass to Brady) was completely botched. I didn't even know it was a reverse until the replay. These are 2 teams that play fast. Philly doesn't huddle and the Pats will go hurry up without warning. They need to be ready.

        Dave
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 8, 2015
          Notes in content.

          --- George
          "Logic" and "Liberal" begin with the same letter. That is the ONLY thing they have in common!

          On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 8:14 PM, 'Levine, David' david-levine@... [patriotzip] <patriotzip@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          I just don't have the energy to put much into this one. Sorry guys.

          The Good
          - Other than Kline, it looks like no one else got hurt.

          *** I see that as a plus. I don't think Kline is solid at all. Seems to me that every time I saw a defender coming through in the middle, he had beaten Kline. I'd rather see Jackson in there; or, if Andrews is healthy, put him back at OC, and move Stork to G.

          - The pass to Brady. I was watching the play and thought they would direct snap it when he was over the tackle. I never thought, however, they would reverse it and throw to him. Nice play design and huge gain.
          - It's great to complain when your team is 10 and 2. There are 26 other teams in the league that wish they had our problems right now.
          - I actually thought the refs were good. The only play I thought was wrong was the late PI call. Not that it wasn't PI, I thought the ball was tipped so there is no penalty. Could be wrong from the TV though
          - Our D is going to be fine for the playoffs. The DBs are solid, our line is good. With Hightower healthy, we can get back to pressuring more. He is that much better than Mayo. Faster and stronger.

          *** Do we have any info on when Hightower can return. He was so good at setting the edge on RBs. They're getting beat badly on end runs without him in there. Collins is clearly not 100% yet.

          -
          The Bad
          - Pretty much everything. We are so out of sorts without Gronk and Edelman that I don't know if we are going far in the playoffs.

          *** I would agree that we wouldn't get far without them; but as far as I know, both are expected back by then.

          - I hate the quick snap after a big play. We always get stuffed and lose yardage. Once we were down on the 1, we should have brought Blount in with the extra lineman and crammed it down their throat. No reason to do anything other than run 3 times to score.
          - We are trying to get too cute. The onsides kick up 14-0 was stupid. A drop kick. Really? Throwing it twice inside the 5 after the quick run for a loss. Looking for the long pass over and over. Where are the screens and quick slants that we usually use? Brady is holding the ball a lot longer than usual.

          *** I think teams can successfully take away those plays when the only receiver capable of running such routes successfully in Amendola. They tried it with LaFell, and he lost 2 yards. Doesn't have the quickness. As I said in a comment to Frank, I think Harper would be the best bet to truly run "Edelman's plays"

          The Ugly
          - A pick 6 at the goal line, a terrible blocked punt for a TD at the end of the half and pathetic coverage on the punt. If we throw incomplete on the pick instead of forcing it, that is a 10 point swing (-7 for the TD and +3 for the FG). No excuse for the blocked punt. We need to be in max protect there. That's another 7. Right there is 17 points. We win going away.

          *** I admit that I'd never noticed this until that blocked punt; but it seems to me that most teams have TWO protectors in front of the punter, and snap the ball between them. We have only Ebner, who has to pick which side to go to. On that play, he saw a hole on the right side, and went there. The defender came in through a hole on the left side, and Ebner couldn't get back over there in time to block him.

          - Dallas vs. Washington. Wow.
          - FOX Sports. I hate watching it because the camera work is terrible. They missed numerous plays because they were too focused on close-ups of people, whether on the field, sidelines or stands. The greatest play of the year (pass to Brady) was completely botched. I didn't even know it was a reverse until the replay. These are 2 teams that play fast. Philly doesn't huddle and the Pats will go hurry up without warning. They need to be ready.

          *** I agree with your point, but I think the blame goes on the director, not the "camera work". The cameras had all the shots; but the director didn't call for the right cameras as the plays set up and ran.

          Dave

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 8, 2015

            That’s okay, Dave—I certainly understand, as I feel deflated.

            Not so much for the loss because there are a lot of teams at two losses (except Carolina , who most likely will have 1 or 2).

            It’s that we may have given away home field or first-round bye and that would stink.

            I agree with the “Good” with no one else hurt.

            Also the D being good and healthy AND the fact that we’re so spoiled we complain at 10-2.

            First round by would be nice to get, but I’d also be bummed if things had to go through Denver again.\

            I’m going to skip the Bad and Ugly…susan