The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Giants)

  • Levine, David
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 7, 2011
      The Good
      - Nice to see Welker get back to normal. He was making plays all over the field again.
      - Both tight ends are excelling and show no sign of the dreaded sophomore slump
      - For the limited amount of carries, BJGE continues to impress. He runs hard and fast and makes his mind up. No dancing in the backfield.
      - The D stepped up. Even on the last drive, it took an amazing 3rd down catch and a PI call to get the TD. We were in position on the 3rd down grab, it was just a better thrown ball. The D stand on first and second downs at the goal line were very nice and even the TD pass was very close. 1 step away.
      - Baltimore beat the Steelers in a heartbreaking fashion as well.
      - Our O finally started clicking in the 4th quarter. We moved the ball at will and did a nice job of spreading the ball around.
      - On the final series, I liked the play calling, except 3rd down. I don't mind the run on 1st down as we had plenty of time and maybe we can get 6 yards out of it. Taking a shot on 2nd down wasn't bad as we had the play. I didn't like the depth of the call on 3rd down but liked the play. I would have rather seen a 5 yard pattern to leave us at 4th and short if we don't break it instead 4th and 8. This would have kept the run game as an option. The 4th down play was perfect, however.
      - Finally some razzle dazzle. The reverse to Welker was a great play by Woodhead. Even with Brady getting in the way, Woodhead was able to corral the ball and then toss it to Welker. I noticed the same thing the announcer said. The flip instead of the handoff as Welker isn't used to taking handoffs. Brady completely missed all blocks however.

      The Bad
      - Sorry I never got the report out last week. Between work and starting a grad class, I was absolutely buried.
      - The O let us down again. 3 turnovers by Brady will not get it done. Granted, 1 was tipped but it wasn't a good throw.
      - Special teams wasn't good. The missed FG killed all the momentum going into the half. Would have been nice to get the 3 points and the lead. We then get the ball to start the 2nd half and if we put more points on the board, we are off and running. Edelman losing another fumble hurts even more. The D makes a stand and then we give it right back. I want him back returning punts as I like his return ability and I don't want Welker to get hurt but this is now the second fumble he lost this year.
      - We abandoned the run game too early. We completely gave up on the run and we paid for it. If Brady is out of sync with the team, run the ball.
      - We left way too much time on the clock. By scoring on 4th down instead of getting the ball inside the 5 for a 1st down, left NY with too much time to operate.
      - The luck on the last D stand. We had them at 3rd and long and they complete a tough pass into tight coverage for a big gain. We the cover everyone and let Manning run for 20 yards for his first run of the day. An injury to one of the DBs puts in a scrub and then pass interference in the EZ puts the ball on the 1. Half a step late and the game is over.

      The Ugly
      - For 3 quarters, Tom Brady was here. He was a mess. Between forcing the ball into tight coverage, throwing wide of open guys, miss reading the coverage and just losing pocket presence, he was just downright bad.
      - Should Peyton Manning be given the most valuable player award this year? It's clear that he is the Indy team.
      - Is KC as bad as they seem? Getting crushed by the previously unvictorious team of Miami is unfathomable.
      - Loved Brady running for the 1st down but damn, I think he is actually slower than last year.

      Dave

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 7, 2011
        Hey Dave!
        Sure did miss your analysis last week...but I understand. What grad class are you taking (you can answer off-list is you want).
        I agree somewhat on your "good" but I think you are being way too generous with them. I'm not sure that even with some calming down I could hand them that many compliments. I still need to calm down and think rationally but it hasn't happened yet--the shades of 2008 are too strong, especially with that headline crammed in my face on the front of the L.A. Times sports page.
        Loved the Steelers loss and of course the Nags too.
        I think there is more bad that good, as George said. I'm not wanting to admit that we aren't the team of years past--I just don't want to.
        But, with the ugly comes the fact that I'm wondering if Brady has much left. Or BB for that matter--there mojo is gone for some reason.
        I've had a tough time with some of the players exits or retirements, but when it's time for these two it's going to be really hard....sigh.
        Next game just really might set the tone for the whole rest of the season.

        GO PATS!!!

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 6, 2012
          The Good
          - Our D kept us in the game
          - It's better to play and lose than not to be there at all.

          The Bad
          In order to win a championship, you have to catch a couple of breaks. This is one game where we didn't get any. Pretty much any one of these things go the other way and we are celebrating today. The football gods were against us yesterday my friends.

          - Intentional grounding in the EZ leads to a safety.
          - Too many men cost us a turnover deep in our own end. 2 plays later and we are down 9.
          - Offsides on Ninkovich costs us a 3rd down stop and thus, field position.
          - 2 fumbles that bounce the wrong way and we don't recover.
          - Somehow, Manning holds onto the ball on an Anderson sack instead of a fumble.
          - 2 amazing catches on the sidelines by Giants WRs when blanketed in coverage.
          - A TD pass to a guy who was covered by 3 of our guys, and then juggled before securing it.
          - A lucky tipped ball that would have been a big completion to Branch but instead forces a punt.
          - A poor pass to a wide open Wes who drops the ball. A good pass is a TD and a win. A catch of the bad pass is a 1st down, chew up the clock and at least a FG. Brady throws a great pass 99 out of 100 times, Welker still makes that catch the same percentage of the time.
          - Next play Brady throws behind Branch. Leading him is a first down. Branch sits down in the zone coverage and he makes the grab too.
          - A bad bounce on the Hail Mary. Welker is middle, Gronk is right, Hernandez tips it up but the ball goes left.
          - Our biggest matchup nightmare is clearly hobbled with an ankle injury and Gronk can't be Gronk, leaving us with 2 O weapons.

          The Ugly
          - The feeling I have right now. We needed to make 1 play down the stretch. The O can't get points and the D can't come up with a play.

          Dave
        • Mike Benson
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 6, 2012
            Dave,

            Great analysis. But let's remember, for all of yesterday's bad luck, it was our own GOOD luck that got us to the Super Bowl — specifically two weeks ago, when Raven Billy Cundiff’s game-tying chip shot sailed wide left. Luck will always be a faithless friend.

            Mike

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 6, 2012

              TO: 1 recipient
              Show Details

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 6, 2012

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 6, 2012
                  Great analysis, as usual--how are you going to keep us entertained and informed in the off-season? Think of something!

                  Love your last line, just one sentence in the UGLY part...but as you started out your list, I'll take being in there 5 times in 11 years (even if we lost twice) than not being a part of the big stage at all.

                  Another part of The Good can be that (most likely) the Giants won't repeat next year, so hopefully we can get in again against someone else. I think the last team to go back to back in the NFC was the Cowboys in 93 and 94 (correct me if I'm wrong--didn't check the list), so those odds are sort of stacked against them.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 6, 2012

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 6, 2012
                      How about the pats Susan?  I think you over looked that one. Back to back 03/04

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 6, 2012
                        Just noticed you said NFC... Retract that.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 6, 2012

                          Yeah, that's why I hope we can do some off-season tweaking and come on strong again and get to New Orleans for 2013. The NFC seems to have had more entrants to the SB than the AFC recently and it's been harder for them to go back to back. So many thought it would be the Packers doing back to back.
                          Crossing my fingers...hope it's us and someone other than the Giants.

                          Man, I'm like a pendulum right now--swinging back and forth between "sting" and hope for next year. I'm trying to do what Mike said and say "good job" and then move forward even with the hurt. It's okay to hurt and be disappointed. Even with the loss, Brady set some records.

                          My 21 year old daughter watched it with her friends at UCLA and she told me she cried for 15 minutes. My son cried and I didn't at the end, but cried tears of strength and power when Brady did the first TD after the half. Of course I was listening on the radio as I went from place to place.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 6, 2012
                            Chris, the last time an NFC team went to consecutive Super Bowls was in SB 31 and 32, which is more recently than Dallas.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 7, 2012

                              Yeah, that was my bad, Ed--I had started that observation and wasn't complete in my thinking...lol! I was thinking back to back wins, but hadn't realized the Slackers had been in twice--they got back in after they beat us in 1997. Bad omen? I hope not...Denver slapped them with a loss. Sure hope it's us back in next year with a win against any other NFC than the Giants.