RE: [patriots] Is panic genetic or hereditary?

  • Randy Pierce
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2011
      Maybe I'm a little spoiled but I felt going into this season that while I
      believed we'd have a successful season, I would always have some doubts
      about our playoff preparedness until we either gave me confidence by our
      play or got to that post season and won. This season has not yet given me
      that confidence and I don't quite see the signs which give me encouragement.
      So I'm enjoying each game as it arrives, rooting hard, hoping hard and
      sometimes even feeling confident for that game. I do all of this with a
      sligh feeling of foreboding that the ultimate prize seems beyond reach. I do
      not have confidence that we will beat a good time but only hope that we may.
      That's good for plenty of fun along the way but when the dance comes I will
      probably have a little less fun in feeling that we are not well enough
      aligned for success in those games.

      Get better and let's see where January brings us...yes...but I prefer the
      times of confidence in the schemes, the players and the approach.
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2011
        I don't want to insult you, Randy. But this almost reads like it was written by me.

        I've been running the "hopes versus expectations" comparison for some years now.
        It seems that we are now on the same page with that. We will both go to our graves
        without ever losing hope for a victory by our Patriots. But I have spent most of the last
        4-5 years without feeling an expectation of it against good teams.

        I can still get that feeling when games come down to the last possession, and the Patriots
        have the ball; needing either a FG or even a TD to win. But, going into games in which we
        will face a good defense, and a good passing offense, I haven't had an expectation of
        coming out with a victory since it became evident, those few years ago, that the great
        D we once had, was no more.

        The number of defensive playmakers we field has steadily decreased. The ability to
        take away the best passing offensive weapons of the opponent has steadily decreased.
        The ability to visibly intimidate the opposing offense has steadily decreased. And,
        perhaps most importantly, the ability to make significant in-game adjustments has
        steadily decreased. It now seems that once a team proves that it has found something that
        works against us, whether on offense or defense, it will continue to work throughout
        the game. Our only hope of winning, in most games against good teams, is that the
        opponent will have success only on one side of the ball; and we, as a result, are able to
        take the game to that last offensive possession I noted earlier.

        As you said, there's a lot of entertaining football to be seen; because the Patriots are still
        a good football team. I expect them to win more than they lose for the remainder of
        the Belichick/Brady era, however long that may be. But I have nothing but a faint hope
        that they will be good enough to win another Lombardi Trophy until and unless the
        things I noted here change.

        They need playmakers, intimidators, and at least one "shutdown" cornerback on defense.
        And they need coaches who can adjust on the fly on both sides of the ball.
        Until they get those pieces in place; they'll be just another winning team
        that annually falls short of the grabbing the brass ring. (See the Eagles, Texans, Cowboys
        Jets, Falcons, and Bears for most recent examples.)

        If I may offer one "technical" observation from another of the many unqualified fans who
        try to analyze NFL teams; I feel that BB has drifted away from the very concept of
        aggressive defense. He doesn't seem to be seeking the type of players I just noted
        (playmakers, intimdators, shutdown cornerback) for his defense in recent years. He
        seems to be excessively wrapped up in complicated schemes, and "bend but don't
        break" philosophy (which only works when you have those 3 elements I noted to
        "switch on" when there's no more room to bend!).

        I actually observed something during the last game that I almost posted. (I stopped
        myself, because I am committed to not doing that anymore.) :-)  It was that they seem
        to be playing what I want to call a "spot pass defense". It just looks like their LBs
        and DBs turn their backs to the QB; run with the receiver for a few yards; the run
        to a designated spot - turn around to face the QB, and see if there's something
        for them to do! Usually, they are not within 3 yards of any opposing receiver when
        they do this! ... Honestly, that's what it has looked like lately in damn near every
        game! It's just - run to a spot; turn to the QB, and see what's happening.

        I'd love to get some feedback on that last point from some of you out there.

        Well, Giants next; with Nicks, Manningham, Cruz, Ballad and Bradshaw as
        very talented receivers to contend with. Good luck!

        On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Randy Pierce <alaric02@...> wrote:

[...]

        I stand by my personal belief that the foundation of the American way of life is made of two primary elements: individual freedom and individual responsibility. All legislation passed in the USA should have to pass a litmus test to ensure that the law will not reduce either, unless national security is threatened. Much like the application of the "Golden Rule" to daily life in society, adherence to those two principles could guarantee positive results in government.