Some tidbits from Holley's new book

  • Rich Carreiro
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2011
      (via Peter King)

      * Scouts were ticked off in 2006 that Belichick overrode their reports and
      picked Laurence Maroney in the first round (apparently on the strong
      advice of Josh McDaniels' brother Ben, one of the Maroney's college
      coaches) and Chad Jackson in the second round -- even after receivers
      coach Brian Daboll said he didn't want to coach Jackson.

      * After the Boston Herald reported (incorrectly, as it turned out) that
      the Patriots had taped a Rams practice before the 2002 Super Bowl,
      Belichick went to his captains and asked if he should address the team
      about it -- just before the Super Bowl they played against the Giants in
      February 2008. The captains said no, so Belichick didn't talk to the team
      about it.

      * Defensive keystone Vince Wilfork didn't like the trade of Mike Vrabel to
      Kansas City before the 2009 season. "That trade ticks me off. Right now.
      Still. When I heard about it, I said, 'What the f--- is going on?' If you
      want to talk about the Patriot Way, you start with Vrabel.' ''

      * It wasn't just management that came to dislike free agent signee Adalius
      Thomas. It was the players. Tedy Bruschi on Thomas: "He started to
      question a lot of things in meeting. 'Why are we doing that?' 'Why don't
      we just do this?' He stopped buying in on what the coaches thought. He
      really did think he had all the answers, you know? And that's what he
      turned into: the answer man. That's when I was on my way out and I was
      glad to get out at that point.''

      --
      Rich Carreiro rlcarr@...