NPC: The Announcerless Game

  • Rich Carreiro
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2011
      Happened to run across this today. I remember watching it.

      http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=5906858

      I'd love to see it happen again (never will, though) now
      that they have all the graphics they do these days.

      --
      Rich Carreiro rlcarr@...
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2011
        Actually, I think it would be easier to do today, because of those graphics. They can clearly substitute for announcers giving you the same information, if used sparingly, for important stats, and injury updates.

        The one major change they'd need to make, IMO, is to put a few microphones right IN among the crowd. It would give you more of the feeling of being at the game. In that original, the crowd noise was minimal. They could have some techs, and the director, listening to the various locations, and, stay with the one that provided the best sound - and least profanity. :-)

        That said, I am one of those who actually enjoys the commentary of most announcers and analysts. Yes, there are some who really suck; but most do add something to the game for me. I really like the current MNF crew. Buck and Aikman are very good also. And there are a couple of other teams I really enjoy, as well. The bad? Theismann never shuts up! Dierdorf is "in awe" of everybody!