The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Raiders)

  • Levine, David
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2011
      The Good
      - Welker doesn't deserve to be on this list. He is just other worldly right now. There are times where he gets so open you think the D forgets to cover him. There are other times where he just makes plays in traffic. You can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him.
      - Loved the balance in our O. The running game was getting yardage and chewing up the clock. Ridley looks great. BJGE continues to play exactly like he did last year. Consistent.
      - Turnovers are the key to the game. We got them when we needed. Opportunistic is how we need to play.
      - I thought the D played better than in the past. We held Oakland to 13 points (until the final meaningless drive) with ok yardage numbers (until the last meaningless drive).
      - We were able to bottle up McFadden pretty well. He got his yards but didn't become the killer that I thought he would be. We were able to hold for FGs in the red zone instead of TDs. That is good football.
      - After traveling across the country, we came out strong and were not sluggish. Good bounce back game after a tough division loss.
      - I was happy to see that everyone was on the same page most of the time. We really had very few mental breakdowns and played a clean game.
      - Big Vince is turning into the best cover DT in the league.
      - Our OL was solid again. One sack and very little pressure overall. They played well against a good DL with a great player in big Sey.
      - Our drive at the end of the half was fantastic. After the INT, we were able to march down the field and get 3 points. That was a 10 point swing and gave us a commanding lead.

      The Bad
      - Woodhead's injury will come back to haunt us. He is so valuable to this O that we could be in trouble without him. Ridley will have to learn quick.
      - Mayo's injury is a killer. He is such a good player that missing him for 4 weeks could really have major effects on this team.
      - We lost the symmetry of the game. Wanted it to end 31-13. Was almost happy that we were stopped on the goal line at the end then Heyward-Bey makes the incredible 50 yard catch with great coverage to screw it all up.
      - I said it last week and I'll say it again. We need to do something about our "and 1" run game. We need to be able to pick that yard up when we need it and were again stuffed on the goal line.
      - No pressure and no blitzing of the QB. I know we were playing shorthanded but we need to send an additional rusher.
      - This team still struggles with mobile QBs. Any time we do get pressure, we cannot contain the QB from running for a modest gain. Pressure always comes from the sides allowing the escape route up the middle.

      The Ugly
      - I was saying that I hated that the refs were taking over the game, calling penalties where there weren't and the stupid roughing calls. Even mentioned it during the game. With that said, the refs actually did the right thing today. Sey's hit on Brady when he didn't hear the whistle for the false start was a penalty. He was fine up to the point where he threw him to the ground. The refs didn't call a blow to the head of Brady (which was accidental and not hard) which is good. They overturned (correctly though I'd never thought I'd see it) the pass interference call when the Ford and Arrington had their feet tangle. They overturned the Welker corner catch as well (good catch, no TD). I did think this should have been review upstairs as this was a potential scoring play but in the end, the correct call was made.
      - Anyone watch the Jets/Ravens game. 5 returns for TDs (3 fumbles, 1 INT and a KO). What ugliness that was.
      - KC won a game. It was ugly but they did it.
      - Dolphins, Vikings and St Louis are downright brutal.
      - Dallas puts together the worst half of football ever played and manages to lose a game they should have won handily.

      Dave

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2011
        Dave, all you needed to say for Patriots fans, coaches, and players was .. "- Loved the balance in our O.  The running game was getting yardage and chewing up the clock." Just keep doing it, BB! This is the key to offensive success. As it continues, keep working to create a defense that makes people remember that the play after 3rd down will be a PUNT!

        On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Levine, David <david-levine@...> wrote:
[...]

        I stand by my personal belief that the foundation of the American way of life is made of two primary elements: individual freedom and individual responsibility. All legislation passed in the USA should have to pass a litmus test to ensure that the law will not reduce either, unless national security is threatened. Much like the application of the "Golden Rule" to daily life in society, adherence to those two principles could guarantee positive results in government.

      • Randy Pierce
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2011

          Woodhead is very valuable but do not forget Kevin Faulk is working back towards this team. Wether it’s an ‘injury’ to Vereen or some other means there is a plan to help back up Danny-boy.

        • Mark Morse
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2011
            If the injury is serious enough, it could be Woodhead that goes to IR and Faulk is re-instated into the position that Woohead has kept warm for him since week 2 of last year!

            Would like to see what Vereen can do and we might see it this weekend!

            Mark Morse
            Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 23, 2014
              The Good
              - Yes, we struggled with a team we should have beaten handily but a win is a win. A blowout and a squeaker go down the same in the record book.
              - Edelman continues to do is best Wes Welker impression. He seems faster and a little more slippery than Wes too.
              - Our D continues to play extremely well. The run D has taken a step forward as we didn't let anyone get a big gain all day. The DBs are also playing well. We get Browner back after 1 more game which will make us more dangerous.
              - Big Vince has the soft hands to seal the win for us. Too bad we didn't get to see him run a little.
              - With everyone else losing, we are now tied for the division lead with Buffalo. I hated being behind the Jets.
              - Nice moment after the game between Brady and Woodson. Two hard core competitors that leave it on the field week in and week out but know when the game is over and have complete respect for their opponent.
              - Good commitment to the run game. Ridley is earning the trust of the coaches again.
              - Another win by the Portland 8th grade team. Undefeated in the regular season with 2 to go before playoffs. Ben moved to center as our starter was out with an illness. He had a couple of problems with the QB pulling out too early but they managed to get their timing down later. Blew open a hole on a QB dive that went for a 60 yard TD run instead of the designed yard we needed.

              The Bad
              - What is up with the penalties? I understand some of the holding and PI stuff but false starts and offsides are mental mistakes.
              - Why do we always have a penalty on a big play. Amendola had a huge catch and run negated. Lafell had a first down called back.
              - Brady is still off target a little. Missed Gronk on the misdirection play. Missed him again for a TD. Missed Amendola on a TD. He works too hard to let this last much longer. He'll break out soon.
              - Hated to see Woodhead and Cassel go down with season ending injuries. Sometimes you just have to root for a player no matter what team they are on.
              - I know we need to take shots downfield to keep everyone honest but I think we have abandoned the quick pass. Short drop and get the ball out early. We have the receivers to do it. Both Edelman and Amendola are quick in the short game. Gronk is easy to post up and Wright seems to have the athletic ability to create space when matched up against a LB. We are very effective when we go to the dink and dunk.
              - Can we please come up with some short yardage plays that will get us a yard when we need it. I am sick of seeing us get stuffed on short yardage plays. We need to be able to pick up the first down in the middle of the field or get the TD with goal to go.

              The Ugly
              - Every point in the game was scored by a -kowski. Ghost, Gronk and the original Seabass. Little known fact there Norm.
              - Between Rice, Peterson and the other shmucks that are getting suspended, there is no football news. Goodell is not helping himself with the press conference after the fact. Ravens are looking guilty of knowing something as well according to Outside the Lines. There is no place for any of this behavior and I wish the teams would act accordingly. The Pats didn't waste time in releasing Hernandez. Why is everyone else so reluctant to get rid of a star?
              - Nice pass by Sanchez, oops I mean Geno Smith. First minute and you already throw a pick 6? Way to dig a hole for your team.

              Dave