Re: [patriots] Thoughts on the game

  • Mark Morse
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2011
      Campbell was throwing to aWR that was cutting across the back of  endzone, along the endline.  The WR was facing the QB, but stopped the route and cut back to his left.  Chung was down toward the front of the endzone and moved back to catch it.  Campbell wasn't trying to throw away the pass (altough he probably should have).

      The Raiduhs were guilty on some type of violaton on every play of the game.  They have total disregard for the rules, fuguring that it won't all get called.  There were multiple holding on the O-line that was just plain pathetic.  Wilford getting his shirt pulled (how do you find any loose material on that shirt to grab hold of?), Anderson and Carter getting tackled rushing the QB, another Olineman with his arm completely behind the back of the Pats rushers holding him.

      Glad they got the Arrington call correct.  I was screaming for an incedental contact call, which is waht they finally ruled.  The arm bar Arrington used is the same type of move that Baltimore and Jests Revis get away with all the time.

      Also I thought Welker's reception at the 1 should have been ruled a TD.  He hit the pylon and that is a TD.  Ball does not have to cross the goaline on that type of play.

      Mark Morse
      Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2011
        I thought over all it was one of the better officiating performances I've
        seen in recent memory. They were pretty consistent with the calls. There
        were a lot of non-calls but that went both ways. As long as it is
        consistent it's good. As long as the rules enforced are the same for both
        teams it's fair.

        I agree the Jets get away with illegal contact and defensive holding on
        every play when their defense is on the field, the Ravens too. I think
        that's fine. What I disagree with is calling penalties on their opponents
        for what these teams do on every defensive play.

        I saw Rothlesburger take a hit below the waist that bent his knee in a
        direction you don't want to see. I'm no fan of his but I'm glad he wasn't
        injured. The officials rightly called roughing the passer for the low hit.
        Then I thought of how many times in the last few years I've seen Brady hit
        in the same way and nary a flag. That's an easy call to make yet they often
        fail to do so and it seems like it depends on the team sometimes, or often.

        As much as I disliked Perriera's take on calls I think the officiating was
        better under him. Does anyone know who runs NFL officiating now?

        Don

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2011
          There was also a call missed in the Jets game where the Ravens player hit the kicker.  It should have been called.  That is very dangerous when a player gets hit that is not expecting it at all.  It can end their career.
          The only name I can find is Carl Johnson but he was VP of officiating... not sure who is IN CHARGE!

[...]

            I stand by my personal belief that the foundation of the American way of life is made of two primary elements: individual freedom and individual responsibility. All legislation passed in the USA should have to pass a litmus test to ensure that the law will not reduce either, unless national security is threatened. Much like the application of the "Golden Rule" to daily life in society, adherence to those two principles could guarantee positive results in government.

          • Randy Pierce
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2011

              Only thin in Al’s defense is that without him there might not have been a merger…and we might not therefore have a team. We might be…Giants?!? Fans here in New England?

              Go Pats!

              Randy/Zip

              www.2020visionquest.org

              Have you “Liked” us on Facebook yet?

            • Ed Bryant
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 6, 2011
                Former Los Angeles Charger Assistant Coach Al Davis no more created the Oakland Raiders than George did.

                Davis served as an Assistant Coach under Sid Gillman, the father of the modern offense.  As Bill Belichick pointed out last week during one interview with lots of mikes and notepads, when he auditioned for the role of Raiders' coach in 1998, he told Davis Davis wouldn't hire him because Davis coaches his own defense and so always hires guys from the offense to coach the team. In fact, Davis hires 29 year old John Madden, offensive line coach Tom Cable, 31 year old Lane Kiffen, guys he can expect won't kick Davis out of the gym the way Gene Hackman kicked Chelsie Ross out of the Hickory Gym on the first day of practice!  (Ross was over it by the time he'd walked from Hickory to South Bend to coach Notre Dame football).

                After Eddie Erdelatz was fired, Davis moved to the Raiders.  The Raiders had been the last place team (of four) in the AFL West, but after they opened 2-4, he rallied the troops to finish 10-4, a job at least as praiseworthy as the job Parcells did here in 1994.

                Al Davis shepherded the AFL into the merger, saving our team in the process; when the NHL took the dregs of the WHA, they only took on four teams.  When the NBA merged with the ABA, they paid off Salt Lake City and they got John Y. Brown a half-interest in Buffalo to keep him from suing the NBA on anti-trust grounds, but in Al Davis's merger, all ten teams survived; of the ten, the Boston Patriots were by far the most expendable.

                When the NFL wouldn't let Billy Sullivan raise money by selling pieces of the Patriots, Billy, George's great friend since 1976, copied Al Davis, suing the NFL in anti-trust, even using Al's lawyer, who was also Billy Sullivan's son in law, the cradle robber!

                Over a fourteen year period, the NFC punked the AFC'd thireen of fourteen in the Super Bowl, the lone exception being when our Jim Plunkett and our Michael Haynes with help from Lester Hayes singled covered the wide-outs for a Redskin team that had scored over 500 points, upholding by a 38-9 count the honor of the AFC.

                Davis's teams have been every bit as inventive, every bit as willing to go to the edge and just past, as have... Belichick's teams.

                Al Davis's "Just Win, Baby!" is from the era of Kojak.  Vince Lombardi's "Winning is the only thing" is not morally superior, and as Parcells pointed out, your won-loss record is who you are.

                Jack Tatum's hit was legal, and probably forgiveable in the regular season.  His attitude about the play thereafter was subhuman, but Darryl Stingley was visited in the hospital, not by Tatum, not by any of the Patriots, but by John Madden.

                Al Davis has made enemies, and no one is ever going to build a stadium in LA for him; Buffalo, Jacksonville, San Diego, and Minnesota are all in line ahead of any need to blackball Al, but when the time comes, he will sue again.  For the record, he is the managing general partner of the Raiders.  When the Raiders had a value of close to zero, Davis used some of his wife's money to acquire his ownership share, but it took Coach Davis to make the team worth what it is worth, and it remains the least valuable team in the NFL, because of the lack of a modern stadium.

                Al Davis would be his own worst enemy if the rest of you hadn't lined up so early, but like every other ambitious human being, there is a lot of Al Davis to admire, and some things to loathe.

                Don Hasselback is one more former Patriot not giving back his Super Bowl ring!  He might envy Russ Francis, who got his as a 49'er, but is Eddie DeBartolo really morally superior to Davis, just cuz he had Lott and Montana instead of Tatum and Stabler?