Bruschi Picks Raiders over Pats 24-21

  • Mark Morse
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2011

      I couldn't make this one up!  Basically he is saying that until the Pats prove they can stop someone they will not win!

      Mark Morse
      Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup
    • Chris Dressler
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 29, 2011
        If as an analyst this is what he sees then he needs to report it as such. You cant play favorites based on where you played.

        On Sep 29, 2011, at 4:23 PM, Mark Morse <packy001@...> wrote:

        I couldn't make this one up!  Basically he is saying that until the Pats prove they can stop someone they will not win!

        Mark Morse
        Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup

      • frankdanabrewster
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 29, 2011
          If McFadden is held under 100, we win. If not, all bets are off. If Oakland's offense can be balanced, Campbell can be successful against this defense. Once again, we need to score a lot of points!

          fdb

          --- In patriotzip@yahoogroups.com, Chris Dressler <dres74@...> wrote:

          > If as an analyst this is what he sees then he needs to report it as such. You cant play favorites based on where you played.
          >

          > On Sep 29, 2011, at 4:23 PM, Mark Morse <packy001@...> wrote:
          >
          > > http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7035137/pats-stop-raiders-run-game
          > >
          > > I couldn't make this one up! Basically he is saying that until the Pats prove they can stop someone they will not win!
          > >

          > > Mark Morse
          > > Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup
          > > http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/RazorsEdgeTailgate/

        • Scott Sheaffer
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 30, 2011
            I think a lot depends on how healthy the Pats are going to be on defense this week. The D was bad in weeks 1 and 2. Then against Buffalo, that already shaky defense went out there minus three starters and with a number of other contributors out or banged up.

            The safety situation affects communication throughout the entire secondary. If Chung can play effectively, then he can help with that. If not, the Pats better hope that Brown and Barret are learning by leaps and bounds. We also went without Ras I-Dowling, who showed signs of promise in weeks 1 and 2. Also, some have pointed out that the defense was a lot better when it played zone last week then when it was in man coverage. Buffalo struggled when the Pats played zone early in the game, and the Bills rolled when the Pats went man to man.

            Injuries at defensive line was another big issue, imposing further limitations on an already struggling defense. The return of Gerard Warren is a big addition. We can either run the 3-4 primarily (which I hope we don't) with legit 3-4 DEs on both sides, or we can get a better rotation at DT in the 4-3. Albert Haynesworth practiced on Wednesday, but not on Thursday. If Haynesworth can play, that would be another big boost for the line. Combined with Warren, that could allow the Pats to primarily run a 4-3 and have a good rotation going to keep the big guys in the middle fresh. That's a key against the Raiders terrific running game. Warren should make the defense better, but we don't know if the Pats will be able to improve further by adding Chung and Haynesworth back to the mix. I'm not going to bank on seeing Mike Wright playing. He's a decent back up and a good role player, but for his own good, he should retire.

            Dane Fletcher and Jerod Mayo both created havoc when allowed to blitz in the preseason. Flethcer was blitzing against Tampa Bay from the middle linebacker spot, and Mayo was a terror as a 4-3 outside linebacker. Maybe the Pats should try some more of that.

            On offense, I hear a lot of people calling for the Patriots to stay with their pass heavy attack against Oakland's banged up secondary. One problem though is that this team is starting to resemble the pass happy Patriots of the early 2002 season. Many of us remember what happened to that team. They started off great, lighting up opposing defenses, but being one dimensional caught up to them and they got sloppy slinging the ball all over the field all the time especially from formations that didn't allow them to run effectively. They became a wimpy, finesse team, opponents recognized this, and started smashing the 2002 Pats in the mouth every week. End result, the team started 3-0 and finished 9-7, missing the playoffs. People also need to remember that this Raiders defense is giving up 5.8 yards per carry on the ground. Sure, I want to see the Patriots pass well in this game, but not at the expense of formations that declare pre-snap, "DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE RUN, WE'RE PASSING!" Cut down the number of empty backfield formations. Also, reduce the number of shotgun formations. Let's see a lot more of Brady under center with at least one back behind him. Don't let the Raiders sell out on the pass when it's 1st and10 or 2nd and 6. Make the Raiders job harder on defense.

            Scott Sheaffer
          • llj7366@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 30, 2011
              Where is the outrage that Bruschi picked against us??  And the RAIDERS??  Maybe, I am being naive but I really think that we are going to win and win big.  We are coming off that nasty loss to Buffalo and just don't see us losing two weeks in a row.  I hope I don't have to eat those words!!
              Lisa

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 30, 2011

                IF you have to start eating those words, I'll be sitting right there with you.
                I also don't think that we will lose two weeks in a row, especially to the Faiders. TB will NOT repeat that miserable can of whoopee last week--I think he'll be fired up and ready to go.