Re: Patriots lose Edds off Practice Squad

  • Scott Sheaffer
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 29, 2011
      I don't like losing Edds. He could have been a good special teams player, and a good coverage linebacker in passing situations. Also, if we continue with the 4-3 long term, he may have emerged as a good outside linebacker in it. In a 3-4, he'd have to be an inside linebacker. He has good speed and is very athletic.

      He was on our regular roster and made a tackle against the Chargers if I remember correctly. We cut him before last week's game in order to bring up Jeff Tarpinian. I didn't want to see Edds cut, but if we were going to do it, we should have brought in Warren then or maybe a TE for last week's game. Warren was playing some great football at defensive tackle in the preseason. It would have helped a lot to have him out there last week. A TE, like Alge Crumpler, could have allowed the Pats to use their less predictable two TE sets. It was excruciating to see the team return primarily to an offensive approach that looked all too much like the 2009 Patriot offense. The 2009 offense led the NFL in first half scoring, but was among the worst in the second half of games. They got off to fast starts, faded away, and made plenty of mistakes. They had two reliable options in the passing game - Moss and Welker. Against Buffalo, we again had only two reliable option in the passing game, Gronkowski and Welker. We also could have kept Gronkowski fresher, and we could have run more. Buffalo is vulnerable to the run. As it was, we got 108 yards against them for a 4.2 yard average per carry. Imagine what it could have been of we had another TE to sub for Gronkowski when he needed a rest or to join him in a two TE set?

      So I understand the release of Edds, but I wish the Pats brought in someone who could have helped them last week. Warren could have come instead of Cohen, and a TE could have replaced Edds. I was glad that Edds made it to the practice squad, but it was disappointing that the Colts nabbed him from there.

      Scott Sheaffer