Cause of Belichick end-of-game anger?

  • Rich Carreiro
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2011
      Someone might have figured it out...

      FootballOutsiders commenter MJK:

      Finally, anyone else notice that after the aborted TD call at the
      very end, about 10 seconds mysteriously ran off the gameclock? I
      think that's what Belichick was so mad about. If it was ruled at
      TD on the field (it was), the gameclock shoudl have stopped at
      around 1:53 or so, and then the Patriots should ahve been able to
      call a TO to keep it from running further. If it had been
      immediately ruled short, the Pats probably would have called a TO
      immediately and conserved the time. What I think happened is that
      one ref signalled TD, and the other did not, and the clock
      operator didn't stop the clock because he was looking at the other
      ref. But there's no way that Jackson catch, impressive as it was,
      took 17 seconds. Didn't ultimately make a difference, because of
      the later Patriots penalty, but without that penalty, that time
      would have been the difference between getting a kickoff and time
      for a Hail Mary and not.

      --
      Rich Carreiro rlcarr@...