Re: [patriotzip] Re: Pats Comings and Goings

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2011
      Frankly, guys, I couldn't care less about the source of the players on the roster. I want a team on the field that is consistently competitive at the highest levels. Belichick has given us that for 10 years. Whether they're acquired via the draft, trades, free agent signings, or raised in laboratories out of test tubes; as long as they give us realistic playoff hopes every season, who cares?

      On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 8:01 PM, Scott Sheaffer <kmacalp@...> wrote:

      <Mark M.> Only three draft picks left from 07-09 drafts .... I know I could do better than that.(Caveat ... Randy Moss and Wes Welker were acquired with draft picks from 07 which was a flat out horrible draft overall  ... Ted Larson is starting in TB, and you saw how many players were claimed by other teams).

      <Scott> I think you meant to type that we only have three draft picks left from the 2006-2008 drafts. From 2009, we still have six players, including a couple on IR. There's Patrick Chung (Round Two), Ron Brace (Round Two, IR), Darius Butler (Round Two), Sebastian Vollmer (Round Two), Rich Ohrnberger (Round Four, IR), Myron Pryor (Round Six), and Julian Edleman (Round Seven).

      From 2006, only Stephen Gostkowski remains.
      From 2007, no one is left.
      From 2008, we have Jerod Mayo and Matthew Slater.

      Those results are pretty grim. I was really excited by the 2008 draft bringing in fast and athletic players to start upgrading our 2007 "old and slow" defense. Talk about misplaced enthusiasm. We got one really good player, and one role player. By contrast in 2008 from the undrafted free agent class we signed Ryan Wendell, Gary Guyton, and Benjarvus Green-Ellis. Also, Danny Woodhead was originally signed in 2008 by the Jets as an undrafted free agent. So we have four 2008 UDFA's on our team and only two of our 2008 draft choices.

      Scott Sheaffer

    • Scott Sheaffer
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2011
        <Mark> No FB, light on healthy OL, No 3rd TE .... What is going on???

        <Scott> When the Pats drafted Ridley, I saw him becoming a fullback. They used him as a halfback in the preseason though. He looked good running the ball and catching it. I think  he did a decent job in pass protection too. Let's see what he can do as a lead blocker. Before the preseason, I was ready to see Morris go, but he was in as a lead blocker in lots of   successful short yardage situations this preseason. So, now I feel uneasy seeing him off the roster. A lot of people these days figure you might as well put a lineman or a tight end in the backfield to lead block. I've always thought it was important to have a guy who can see the holes and read a defense the way a running back does. Plus, it's good to have a triple threat who can block or run or catch and thus give the play an increased level of unpredictability. TE Aaron Hernandez can block on the LOS and he can catch, and we've seen him run end arounds, but how good is he taking a hand-off and going right up the gut of a defense. As a lead blocker, how good is he at reading the play and making the same decision the RB behind him is going to make? Maybe he can do this stuff, but is he going to do it as well as a running back?

        I thought Lee Smith had a shot at making it through waivers, but I didn't think there was any much chance Yeatman would clear. I don't think the Pats should have gambled there. I didn't sense there was much interest in Tarpinian. In any event, the Pats coaches have seen a lot more of Tarpinian than we fans have. As a fan who saw Yeatman play and didn't get a glimpse of what Tarpinian would do, I would have kept Yeatman.

        I love the Brian Waters signing. I think Marcus Cannon is the future at right guard. Cannon won't be available early in the season. Plus, with Waters onboard, we may not have to rush Cannon onto the field. I think Connolly did a decent job filling in last year, but once Cannon was ready to go, he'll be a considerable upgrade. With Connolly hurt and Ohrenberger on IR, we were looking at serious early season problems. Waters provides a good solution. Plus with Mankins, he can help groom Cannon for the future. Like Shaun Ellis, Cannon is an old veteran who's been a great player, but who's getting up there in years. I think both guys still have enough in the tank to contribute, and both guys are nearing the end of  their careers and would love to win Super Bowl rings I assume before they're done. Waters may not be as dominant as he once was, and some say he got to the Pro Bowl on reputation last year, BUT he didn't give up a QB sack in 16 games last year and only a few pressures. His run blocking continued to be good. As far as guards, he was rated ahead of both Stephen Neal and Connolly last year.

        Scott Sheaffer