Re: Football question

  • PatriotZip
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 30, 2002
      --- In patriotzip@y..., George R <patsfangr@y...> wrote:
      > ***** I said it after the Green Bay game, and I still say it, Phil.
      > What is NOT happening here this season is H-E-A-R-T and H-U-N-G-E-
      R!

      I think it's the biggest part of the problem for certain. I think
      enough of them have it now but it isn't a switch you can turn and it
      takes a bit for the contagion to spread sufficiently. It isn't too
      late but it's damn close. The second half last week was better...it
      made me think the defense might get enough of both back.

      > quarter last December or January? Is there anybody here who really
      > believed they'd do so yesterday?

      Up until the facemask sack I had high hopes. Afterwards I had
      dwindling hopes...

      > ***** Seriously, it appears that the Patriots really have lost it. I
      > can understand it, but not excuse it.

      No excusing it from me. Their job is to not lose it - and they
      have... but not all of them and not completely yet.

      > ***** The difficult task ahead for BB and staff is to identify who
      has
      > it, and who doesn't, and retain the right mix next season. That's a
      > hell of a challenge, but I know they'll give it a good shot. We'll
      just
      > have to wait and see how it works out .... next season.

      Wait George - wasn't it YOU who said Buffalo is more the must win
      game for the season than Denver? I thought it was - yet your mind
      seems changed. Reason? I think half-time changed things a bit and
      gave me a little hope they might find what they've been missing for
      four/five games now. We'll know soon cuz you get your wish - we have
      a full fledged must win on our hands now.
    • PatriotZip
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 30, 2002
        --- In patriotzip@y..., philw1776@a... wrote:
        >> So, then Bill Russell is a lousy motivational speaker?

        Or his audience were poor listeners ... OR ... the first two wins
        came too easy and ruined a good thing (my personal theory).
      • philw1776@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 30, 2002
          In a message dated 10/30/2002 6:02:12 PM Eastern Standard Time, patriotzip@... writes:

          --- In patriotzip@y..., philw1776@a... wrote:
          >>So, then Bill Russell is a lousy motivational speaker?

          Or his audience were poor listeners ... OR ... the first two wins
          came too easy and ruined a good thing (my personal theory).

          I buy your theory.  I was being facietious.  I love Russ.

          -philw
        • Rob Bosch
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 30, 2002
            I put most of the blame on Seymour. This guy is getting blown off the line
            of scrimmage. It's just so hard to imagine what happened to this guy. If he
            was playing the way he was last year I suspect the Pats would not be having
            as big a problem against the run. He's a number one pick, and his play is
            inexcusable. He went from a really solid player to a possible bust in one
            season. I'm going to be paying a lot of attention to his play these next few
            weeks.

            -Pats Freak

            > First point of blame goes to Anthony Pleasant being below last season
            > at least in part due to injury. Next we hit Brandon Mitchell. When
            > Mitchell wasn't injured, he could provide some rush pressure which
            > helped give Seymour room. Martin is more of a mountain style
            > defender. The next reason is a bit more challenging to find. I
            > think Seymour let last year go to his head a bit - I can't figure
            > another reason for such pronounced drop off in both intensity and
            > results.

          • PatriotZip
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 30, 2002
              Do you think the lack of a DL coach is a major factor?

              Zip - who will be eager to read Freak's Seymour grade on Monday...

              "Stay Low Richard"

              --- In patriotzip@y..., "Rob Bosch" <rob.bosch@r...> wrote:
              > I put most of the blame on Seymour. This guy is getting blown off
              the line
              > of scrimmage. It's just so hard to imagine what happened to this
              guy. If he
              > was playing the way he was last year I suspect the Pats would not
              be having
              > as big a problem against the run. He's a number one pick, and his
              play is
              > inexcusable. He went from a really solid player to a possible bust
              in one
              > season. I'm going to be paying a lot of attention to his play these
              next few
              > weeks.
              >
              > -Pats Freak
              >

              > > First point of blame goes to Anthony Pleasant being below last
              season
              > > at least in part due to injury. Next we hit Brandon Mitchell.
              When
              > > Mitchell wasn't injured, he could provide some rush pressure which
              > > helped give Seymour room. Martin is more of a mountain style
              > > defender. The next reason is a bit more challenging to find. I
              > > think Seymour let last year go to his head a bit - I can't figure
              > > another reason for such pronounced drop off in both intensity and
              > > results.

            • Rob Bosch
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 30, 2002
                I don't know if I would say no DL coach is a factor. Keeping your pad level
                low is a basic tenant of football on defense. I don't know if there is any
                easy answer on why his play has dropped off so dramatically. All I know is
                that it is killing the Pats run defense. It's not all on him, but a good
                part of it is. I just wonder if his height is a big problem. Typically a guy
                his size would play at end, and maybe that's where he'll end up one day.
                It's amazing that I sometimes look at the Pats and think that there may be
                at least 4 or 5 guys playing out of position. I think Light and Jones are
                guards, not tackles. I think Seymour is probably a better fit at end
                (although I don't know if he's quick enough). I think Ty Law...and this
                might be the first time you've heard this...would be a great safety. And
                ideally Bruschi would be an outside LB instead of playing in the middle.

                Just some random thoughts from a fan that is more than frustrated at the
                recent play of his team. Beating Drew and the Bills would be just the elixir
                I need to bring me out of the doldrums.

                -Pats Freak