Fwd: [patriotzip] NFL owners showing their true colors

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 16 7:38 PM
      As on who has been an NFL fan for over 50 years, I totally agree. There is enough hard hitting and violence in the sport, as played within the rules. There is no need for intentionally dangerous violence beyond those rules.

      The problem I see, however, is in determination of intent. The players today are moving so fast, and their body positions change so quickly, that there will be truly accidental helmet to helmet contact at times. Very tough to determine the difference between intentional and accidental contact; even with replays from several angles, and super slow motion, except in the most blatant cases of intentional hits to the head. Same is true for the "hands to the head" rule on QBs.

      I don't have a perfect answer for the dilemma. I don't think there is one.

      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      Apparently one of the last things on the table in the NFL contract
      negotiations is the health of the players. As they made abundantly clear in
      the playoffs last year and elsewhere the owners/league have no problem with
      violations of agreements and rules designed to protect player's health and
      cut down on hits to the head and other contact that leads to long-term
      health problems in training camp and on the field in games. The players do
      have a problem with it, quite understandably, and are holding out for what
      they know is right. This article from the Boston Herald helps explain;

      Players, owners hit
      snag
      http://bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view.bg?articleid=1352137&position=1

      May the players, for the sake of their families, their health and their
      peace of mind, hold out as long as necessary to force the owners to change
      the culture of unnecessary and gratuitous violence in the NFL. Football is
      a rough, contact sport but when the rules say no helmet to helmet hits or
      the like the players (and coaches) should be able to rely on the referees
      enforcing the rules, whether it be in training camp, practice, during the
      regular season or in the playoffs. The 'sliding scale' as the season
      progressed that we saw last year on helmet to helmet hits just doesn't
      wash. As a fan I am disgusted by the league's attitude. There is no grey
      area in NO HELMET TO HELMET HITS as much as Goodell and the owners would
      like there to be.

      The average life-span of an NFL player is around 50 years - for everyone
      else it is over 70. A big part of the reason for the shortened life-span is
      hits to the head. That doesn't say much for keeping unnecessary violence in
      the game for the sake of 'entertainment'.

      Harry