No more automatic passer roughing?

  • Rich Carreiro
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 24, 2011
      Somehow I managed to miss this:

      adopted at the NFL Owners' Meeting on May 24, 2011:

      Hits to the head of a passer by an opponent's hands, arms or other
      parts of the body will not be fouls unless they are forcible
      blows, modifying the existing rule that any contact to a passer's
      head, regardless of the reason, is penalized as a personal foul

      (from the "2011 NFL Season" entry in Wikipedia)

      --
      Rich Carreiro rlcarr@...
    • Machado.Nicholas
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 24, 2011
        More 'judgement' calls which will only add to the overall inconsistency which is undermining the integrity of the game IMHO.

        I expect we will be able to see helmet-to-helmet hits on QB's go completely unnoticed by the officials by the time the playoffs roll around. Rex Ryan must be thrilled. But the drivel from the front office about how they truly care about their players health will no-doubt convince me that they really are sincere despite all appearances.

        No matter how cynical I get I can't keep up. - Lily Tomlin

        Harry

        At 03:30 PM 6/24/2011 -0400, you wrote:

        Somehow I managed to miss this:

        adopted at the NFL Owners' Meeting on May 24, 2011:

        Hits to the head of a passer by an opponent's hands, arms or other
        parts of the body will not be fouls unless they are forcible
        blows, modifying the existing rule that any contact to a passer's
        head, regardless of the reason, is penalized as a personal foul

        (from the "2011 NFL Season" entry in Wikipedia)

        --
        Rich Carreiro rlcarr@...

      • Scott Sheaffer
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 25, 2011
          I agree. This will make the rule more complicated and the calls more inconsistent. They're just making a bad situation worse.

          Scott Sheaffer