Re: Draft grade, almost Ceeing it.

  • Mark Morse
    Message 1 of 3 , May 7, 2011
      "17, OLT Nate Solder, 6-8, 319, 4.96 Colorado. OSR 1/49 OLs.
         I like this pick and had him as my top OLT for the Pats but thought he be may
      have been within reach at 28. Giants said to target him at 19 before they knew
      da CB Prince would fall to them. I thought the Pats would go with DE/OLB Cameron
      Jordan and was surprised when we passed on him. Even more surprised when the
      Chargers, who had the same needs as we do, pass on him with the next pick. In
      fact, he slid all the way to the Saints at 24. So he wasn't rated by teams as
      high as the draft media had him. So that left an OLT choice for the Pats. Our
      Lads has a OSR rating which combines all the test, skills, and drill results
      that are most important to a specific position. They then compare all the player
      at that position. Solder OSR is 1/49. He was the number one OL specific
      athlete out of the 49 who were tested at the combine. Throw in, he is the
      apple of asst. HC/OL coach Dante's eye and it works for me."

      Not "Sold on Solder" as I posted earlier.  My take is that the Cannon
      announcement that he had cancer threw the Pats draft plans into a tizzy.  Pats
      cancel a visit scheduled with Solder and instead fly Dante out to Colorado on
      Moday before the draft so that he can work out Solder.  If Solder had come to
      Foxboro, they would not be allowed to work him out.  I like Cannon more than
      Solder.  I will also add this nugget ... a well placed NFL source that I won't
      reveal had this to say about Solder ... He has a reputation for being soft!   I
      agree that Solder has potential, but I think they need to re-sign Light for
      another year or two.

      Trade of 28 I am OK with .... 90% of Ingram in Vereen is good enough in a RB by
      committee style of the Pats.  Vereen is the best receiving RB in the draft ....
      loved the Vereen slection

      I am just as disappointed as you are they didn't take a pass rusher.  I just
      posted about the Patriots inability to close a deal for #33.  Reed, Sheard,
      Bowers, Carter Romeus ... I just don't get it.  Ras-I Dowling was there man all
      along.  Big DB that I thought could have slipped into the 1st round.  When it
      was the Pats pick at #33 I had just stated to my son and others in the room they
      might take Dowling and sure enough ....

      Mallet pick is a gamble that may or not pay off ... Loved Cannon and if he can
      play will be a terrific player.

      Lee Smith has those intangibles you love in a football player ... lets see how
      this works out.  My initial reaxtion was the same, where is the pass rushers.

      Last to picks were throw aways ... I would love to have seen Herzlich given a
      chancem but Herzlich got screwed by his association with Condon as his agent.

      Mark Morse
      Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup

           28, Saints 2nd rd, 56 and their 1st rd, 2012.
         This had me ceeing red after I saw the what the did with back to back RB
      reaches. Unless Vereen turns out to be a Curtis Martin why trade a HOF Emmitt
      Smith type away. Ingrams has all pro potential and we trade him for a 3rd/4th rd
      rated RB Vereen. Using the low 2nd rd pick (56) we got. The 1st RD DP we got for
      next year will probably be nearer the end of the rd than the 28th we traded
      to them. In part, by them drafting DE/OLB Cameron Jordan who we apssed on and us
      gift wrapping RB Ingrams for them. To compound this we have to use the next pick
      on a 6th/7th rd value RB Ridley to get the complete RB we could have had with
      Ingrams.
         33, CB Ras-I Dowling, 6-1, 198, 4.40, Va. OSR 11/34 CBs.
         I like this pick too and had Dowling checked off in my draft stuff as a
      player that the Pats could use. A big CB who can cover the other teams' big
      guys. BB tried to move this pick but was unable to get a next year number two in
      exchange along with the current 2nd rd swap of 2nd rd slots. That was his bottom
      line and he seemed  to have no reservations about drafting Dowling.

         56, RB Shane Vereen, 5-10, 210, 4.49, Cal. OSR 11/36 RBs.
         See comment in 28. I will track Ingrams and Vereen NFL careers see if BB and
      company have made another major screw up like passing on OLB Clay Mathews with
      this move.   73, RB Stevan Ridley, 5-11, 225, 4.64, LSU. OSR 20/36 RBs.
        A major reach as he was seen as a 6th 7th rd RB in most draft pubs and media.
      But that's what happens when you have to draft two RBs to make one complete one.
         74, QB, Ryan Mallett 6-7, 253, 5.37, Ark. OSR DNP QBs.
         A 3rd rd modified risk/reward value selection that may give Pats value in a
      quality QB backup/high trade value player or worst case you blew a 3 rd DP.
      Easy evaluation on the risk/reward. Either we develop another Drew Bledsole/Joe
      Flacco type QB or a never develop, forever teaser like Derek Anderson.
         4th rd? No picks/no problems?  BB bailed out of the rd.
         138, OT/OG Marcus Cannon 6-5, 358, 5.26, TCU. OSR 4/49 OLs.
         I really liked this pick for value and had Cannon along with Solder and
      Dowling checked off before the draft as good fits for the Pats. He dropped from
      a late 1st to high 2nd rd DP to here after a treatable form of cancer was
      discovered in him at the combine. Did yawl notice this 358 lbs. dancing bear was
      the 4th best OL specific athlete at the combine? Plug him in at ORG and we have
      Neal's replacement. Raiders are said to have tried to move up to get him.

         159, TE Lee Smith, 6-6, 266, 4.95, Marshall. OSR 11/ 17 TEs.
         Another pick that had me ceeing fire. How hard is it to get a good in line
      blocking TE if you ignore his receiving deficiencies? Plus, we have Crumpler for
      one more year. BB frigging TE fetish reared it ugly head again. An excellent
      "pass rusher" DE/'OLB Chris Carter 6-1, 248, 4.56, Fresno St. OSR 7/26 OLBs was
      available! Read the Ravens, 4 picks down, wanted to draft him but were beaten
      out by the Steelers who picked him two picks after the Pats took their slow
      moving, blocking TE. Hmmn, Steelers and Ravens? Ya think they are two teams that
      know a thing or two about pass rushing OLBs for the 3-4? Idiots!
         194, DE/OLB Markell Carter 6-4, 245, 4.75, C. Ark. Not invited to combines.

         Hey, maybe BB and crew got the "welcome back Carter" names mixed up :)
      Markell is a raw, developmental 3-4 OLB from DE conversion project.  Must have
      some talent as the Packers were interested in picking him too. Neutral on the
      pick as I had given up on a pass rusher.
         219, CB Malcolm Williams, 5-10, 204, 4.40, TCU. Not invited to Combines.
         Glad somebody could find some info on him. A ST ace who couldn't win a
      starting DB position at TCU. DE/OLBs  Greg Romeus 6-5, 264, 4.85 Pitts and Cliff
      Matthews 6-4, 257, 4.82, S.Carolina still on the board but who need a figging
      pass rusher?
          Well, I didn't love the Pats draft but could see BB viewed an improved
      running game as his key priority. Like I said it will protect Brady against
      those team that can get to him with their rush packages. Pass rush? We don't nee
      no stinkin pass rush Holmes.! Hell we already have a stinking pass rush:)
                                later"from ceeing minus to being minus" Bama
    • Scott Sheaffer
      Message 2 of 3 , May 8, 2011
        <Mark M.> I like Cannon more than
        Solder.

        <Scott> You mentioned how people believe we should have taken Cameron Jordan in the first round. Cannon knocked Jordan down ten times in a single game last year, and he didn't allow a sack in his last two seasons. He could turn out to be a steal for the Patriots.

        Scott Sheaffer
      • Mark Morse
        Message 3 of 3 , May 8, 2011
          Absolutely agree ... in the Patsfans.com draft contest I started you get 9 picks of who you think would be selected by the Patriots.  I had Cannon and Vereeen correct.  Another poster had a similar contest, and nobody got more than two right ... two is the most anyone has ever gotten right with BB.

          If Cannon can beat the cancer, and every indication is that he has a very treatable form of cancer, then they got a steal that nobody else was in a position to take a chance with.