Re: [patriotzip] Re: Draft ends pre-draft speculation

  • Machado.Nicholas
    Message 1 of 19 , May 5, 2011
      I'll try that mock draft next year and make you look good Ed.

      H.

      At 04:53 PM 5/4/2011 -0700, you wrote:

      Harry, I may not miss a thing, but I missed about 35 of the 32 first round draft picks in the mock!!!!!!

      From: Machado.Nicholas <machado.nicholas@...>
      Subject: Re: [patriotzip] Chad Finn defends the draft, plus insightful comment
      To: patriotzip@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, May 3, 2011, 6:32 PM

      Plenty of analysts I read said the Pats had a great draft. Mel Kiper didn't but he was one of the few and in my experience he isn't that good anyway.

      Another strategy BB is using is drafting players who have had success throughout their careers and in the last few years he has begun to lean towards leaders, captains, players that motivate other players, high character players etc. He is also beginning to take players that drop for health reasons (Tate, Cannon) and even took one with possible attitude or immaturity problems in Mallett.

      It appears BB has improved his scouting structure too. Some analysts said they never heard of Dowling when he was picked. The ones that had heard of him said he should have gone around 20th in the first round.

      Harry

      At 05:59 PM 5/3/2011 -0400, you wrote:

      Finn decided to defend the Pats draft this year:

      http://www.boston.com/sports/touching_all_the_bases/2011/05/pass_rusher.html

      I also wanted to pass along a really excellent and insightful comment
      that someone left on that blog post:

      When you guys that love to criticize Belichick read these
      transcripts, do you think to yourselves "oh yeah. I forgot that
      guy is MUCH smarter than I am. Clearly he knows what he is talking
      about, and clearly I do not." And then you just forget each
      spring? Because when I read this stuff, all I can think is how
      happy I am that he is in charge of the team that I root for.

      The differences between a Belichick draft and the draft of another
      team:

      1. the Team (T) needs a player at a position (P). When it is T's
      turn to select a player, the highest rated P on their board of
      players (X) is rated at 6.5 (on a 10.0 scale). Also available is
      player (Y) who plays another position (A). Y's grade is a 8.2.

      Belichick selects player Y. Another team would select player X.

      2. T has the 20th selection. On T's draft board, the highest rated
      remaining player is rated a 7.5 at a position in which T already
      has multiple players. There are 17 players on T's board rated
      between 7.2 and 7.5. Player X plays a position of need for T, and
      is rated a 7.2. Another team calls T to inquire about trading
      selection #20. They are offering selection #34 and a future first
      rounder in exchange.

      In this scenario, Belichick would make the trade, figuring he can
      get a player at #34 that is rated similarly to the best player
      available at #20. Another team would take Player X at #20, and
      their fans would rejoice. In a different circumstance, where the
      best player available at #20 were rated 8.2, followed by the 17
      players rated 7.2-7.5, he may choose to make the selection. But by
      making the trade here he adds a future high selection which will
      offer him another chance to get a 8.2-type value, rather than
      reaching for a player at #20 this year.

      Personally, I prefer Belichick's approach, and I did not even get
      into one other major reason for "trading down" and adding more
      picks: draft are like buying a scratch ticket. The higher you
      draft, the more likely you are to scratch off a prize, but you are
      never guaranteed to get a prize, no matter how high you select. So
      by giving himself more picks, he is basically hedging and giving
      himself more opportunities to find guys that can play.

      --
      Rich Carreiro rlcarr@...

      __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

      "All generalizations, including this one, are false." - Mark Twain

      __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

      "All generalizations, including this one, are false." - Mark Twain

      __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

      "All generalizations, including this one, are false." - Mark Twain
    • Ed Bryant
      Message 2 of 19 , May 5, 2011
        With the first pick in the 2012 Mock Draft, everyone takes.....Andrew Luck, qb, Stanford!

        Message 3 of 19 , May 5, 2011

          Do you know what they are going to do with Mallett? Will they trade him or groom him to be a backup?
          I saw a photo and he looks alot like TB.
          Who are the backups that they have now--QBs? Since Cassell has been gone, TB has been pretty healthy, so I'm not sure who the backups are.

          Message 4 of 19 , May 6, 2011
            Hoyer is the back-up and a late pick up named Robinson I believe. Hard
            to say, the pick surprised me but then I couldn't believe we took a QB
            at 199 in 2000!

            www.2020visionquest.org
          • Machado.Nicholas
            Message 5 of 19 , May 6, 2011
              I'm not sure what all this media speculation is about Mallett taking the
              reins from Brady in a few years. If the coaching reports are accurate the
              guy can't run. He can throw and has lots of tools but he cannot run and
              that cannot be coached. After Drew Bledsoe I sure don't want another
              monster arm but immobile QB starting for the team. BB should (and likely
              does) know better as he is one who had a lot to do with making them obsolete.

              Brian Hoyer on the other hand scrambles well, has good size, good accuracy,
              works hard, has two (three?) years in on the Pats system and has played
              well for the Pats when he has had a chance most noticeably the come-back
              pre-season victory over the Giants year before last.

              Harry

              At 05:32 AM 5/6/2011 -0400, you wrote:

              >Hoyer is the back-up and a late pick up named Robinson I believe. Hard
              >to say, the pick surprised me but then I couldn't believe we took a QB
              >at 199 in 2000!
              >
              >Go Pats!
              >Zip
              >www.2020visionquest.org

              __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

              "All generalizations, including this one, are false." - Mark Twain
            • Mark Morse
              Message 6 of 19 , May 6, 2011
                Search the internet and find the combine picture of the 2000 #199 selection.  His 40 time was about the same as Mallett's.

                Mark Morse
                Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup

                Message 7 of 19 , May 6, 2011
                  If Mallett has or can develop the pocket awareness 2K-#199 has he might just be successful but a pocket passer can be pressured and put out of his game as we have been seeing more and more as TB's career progresses.

                  BB said Mallett loves to talk football and watch film. High praise from BB.

                  Harry

                  Message 8 of 19 , May 6, 2011
                    Brady was 5.23 and Mallett was even slower 5.37.  If he can learn the pocket prescence that Brady has, with that subtle slide and step up, he will be alright.  Mallett has a much stronger arm, especially throwing the ball downfield, which is not one of Brady's strong points.

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 6, 2011

                      J Just struck me that 2K-199 would be a great license plate for TB!

                      Good one, Harry!

                      George

                      NFL owners and players: Don't kill the Golden Gooose. Sign a  CBA!

                      Please use BCC, when forwarding this message, to protect  e-mail addresses of your friends and relatives .

                        Message 11 of 19 , May 7, 2011
                          Dan Marino, Tom Brady, and Peyton Manning were all considered slow too just like Mallet. Like them, he could be an excellent pocket passer. Mallet has tremendous arm strength and accuracy. People who know him say he's hyper competitive and obsessed with studying the game and watching film. He should have gone in the first round. I think the Mallet and Cannon picks are steals. We got first round players in the third and fifth rounds.

                          I'm not sold on Solder either, BUT the Devin McCourtney pick last year didn't impress me either and look how that turned out. McCourtney ended up with seven interceptions and a Pro Bowl selection. The draft is hit or miss and Bill Belichick and Co. know a lot more about it than I do.

                          Scott Sheaffer
                        • Machado.Nicholas
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 7, 2011
                            Marino never won a SB. PM won one with his GM pulling out all the stops and
                            a superb team around him. Manning also hits targets when he is running the
                            best of the three IMO. TB won three because he had three sisters who played
                            dodge with him when he was growing up and had an excellent cast of veterans
                            at key positions around him but it hasn't been working for him for a number
                            of years.

                            I'm not sold on any of this years picks either. I am encouraged that most
                            of the analysts are calling it a great or very good draft for the Pats and
                            what I've read looks good but I'll wait at least until the pre-season games
                            to get excited about anybody.

                            Harry

                            At 07:02 AM 5/7/2011 -0400, you wrote:

                            >Dan Marino, Tom Brady, and Peyton Manning were all considered slow too
                            >just like Mallet. Like them, he could be an excellent pocket passer.
                            >Mallet has tremendous arm strength and accuracy. People who know him say
                            >he's hyper competitive and obsessed with studying the game and watching
                            >film. He should have gone in the first round. I think the Mallet and
                            >Cannon picks are steals. We got first round players in the third and fifth
                            >rounds.
                            >
                            >I'm not sold on Solder either, BUT the Devin McCourtney pick last year
                            >didn't impress me either and look how that turned out. McCourtney ended up
                            >with seven interceptions and a Pro Bowl selection. The draft is hit or
                            >miss and Bill Belichick and Co. know a lot more about it than I do.
                            >
                            >Scott Sheaffer

                            __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

                            "All generalizations, including this one, are false." - Mark Twain
                          • Scott Sheaffer
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 8, 2011
                              <Harry > Marino never won a SB. PM won one with his GM pulling out all the stops and
                              a superb team around him. Manning also hits targets when he is running the
                              best of the three IMO. TB won three because he had three sisters who played
                              dodge with him when he was growing up and had an excellent cast of veterans
                              at key positions around him but it hasn't been working for him for a number
                              of years.

                              <Scott> Between them, Brady and Manning have appeared in six of the last ten Super Bowls, winning four of them. Maybe we can put together a package deal and bring in a pair of far more mobile QBs. How about a trade of Brady and Mallet for Michael Vick and Kevin O'Connell? Those guys have terrific foot speed. How many SBs have they won compared to the mere four produced by Brady and Manning? ; )

                              Scott Sheaffer
                            • Machado.Nicholas