Patriots Draft Recap

  • Mark Morse
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2011
      Draft Recap
      Potential … the key word of this draft.
      Nate Solder – I’m not sold on Solder.  Oh yeah he has great potential.  His
      size, at 6’ 8”+, 315, is impressive.  He runs a 40 in under 5.0.  He is a
      converted TE, so he has limited experience (2 years ) at Oline and he has some
      technical flaws (hand placement /leverage).  His height actually works against
      him and he allows smaller DE’s to get in and around him.  However, give him a
      few years with Dante Scarnecchia, and you may have a 10 year all pro!  Curious
      that the Patriots waited until a week ago (Monday) to work out Solder.  The
      Patriots had scheduled Solder for a visit to Gillette (one of 30 they are
      allowed) but they cancelled at the last minute.  If they had him in for an
      official visit, they could not work him out (those are the rules).  Instead,
      Dante Scarnecchia flies out to Colorado and works him out?  Did this signal a
      late change in the Patriots draft philosophy?  Did the news of Marcus Cannon’s
      cancer change the Pats draft plans?  Solder needs to get stronger as he only did
      21 reps at 225#’s.   His long arms make it more difficult to put up a large # of
      reps.  Still, 21 is CB number.  My pick would have been a trade up for LB Robert
      Quinn or stay at 17 and take Cameron Jordan.  Note: what a coincidence that last
      years #1 pick Devin McCourty and this years #1 pick Nate Solder both did ESPN
      Sports Science segments.  Check out Solder's, its very impressive.
      #28 was traded for #56 and next years #1 from NO.  You have to figure the pick
      next year will be in about the same slot.  However, BB passed on all the
      potential pass rushers and 3-4 DE’s.  Cameron Jordan was available here and
      should have been taken.  When are the Patriots going to cash in these chips?  I
      would have made the trade as well.
      #33 Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia – I was shocked that the Patriots did not pull off
      a trade here.  They had all day to work out a deal.  I have no idea what they
      were offered.  Are teams just sick of trading with the Patriots, allowing them
      to dictate the draft?  As far as Dowling, I thought he could slip into the 1st
      round and if healthy, he has the potential to be that big shut down corner.
      His size 6’ 1” and press coverage ability will get him playing time as a nickel
      back.  My pick a small trade down with Cinncinati to 35 and get 134 as well.
      Select Brooks Reed DE Arizona.

      Mike Reiss theory is that BB thought he could get one of the remaining pass
      rushers (Brooks Reed of Jabaal Sheard) at #56.  Once one player was taken, BB
      could not or would not move up to take a pass rusher.  Again my theory that
      teams would not trade with him.  This way they insure that the Patriots are
      unable to address their most glaring weakness … pass rush.

      #56  I was thrilled with the selection of Shane Vereen.  He is an every down
      back who is elusive, has good vision catches the ball well and hits the hole
      hard.  He is a lot like Fred Taylor.  My only problem was that they drafted him
      too early.  Verren is strong and posted 31 reps @ 225#’s at the combine.  Our
      That’s 10 more reps than our 1st round OT selection.  I had Vereen as one of my
      selections in the Patsfans.com messageboard contest.  My Pick Vereen

      #60 Stevan Ridley RB LSU – didn’t see this one coming!   He is a one year wonder
      that arguably had a good year in the SEC.  He is a hard runner in the mold of
      BJGE.  Its not his fault that he sat behind some other good player at LSU and
      when he did get his chance, he shown like the sun.  I just don’t think the
      Patriots needed to pick him here!  My pick Brandon Harris CB Miami

      #74 Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas – WOW!  The Patriots are the last team I expected
      would take Mallett.  It was just too good of an opportunity to pass up.  This is
      a low risk pick for the Patrs that good pay big dividends if they get this kid
      on the straight and narrow.  Mallet will be given the chance to learn behind Tom
      Brady … this is the perfect situation for Mallet and gives him the best chance
      to succeed.  Again another potential move.  Word has it that the Patriots leaked
      the possibility of Mallet to Mike  Lombardi (NFL Network) and he put that on
      air.  This was done to see if any teams would want to trade up for the last
      legit QB.  Miami was trying to move up but the Patriots took Mallet, perhaps to
      spite them.  My Pick John Moffitt OC/OG Wisconsin

      #92 Traded along with our 4th rd pick (#125) for 2012 2nd round pick by Oakland
      and their 5th rd selection.  This signaled that BB was punching out of the
      draft.  Charley Casserly and BB both thought it was a weak draft.  I would have
      used this pick on OG Clint Boling Georgia

      #134  Marcus Cannon - an absolutely great pick!  I was estatic the Patriots
      picked this behemouth (6'5" 358 5.09 40).  I was the first to post that Cannon
      had cancer on Patsfans.com two weeks ago.  TCU Vehemently denied it, but on
      Monday ESPN reported that Cannon had started his treatments for non-hodgkins
      lymphoma, a very curable type of cancer.  I felt the Patriots had the luxory of
      multiple draft picks and could afford to take Cannon, who is a high risk /
      reward selections.  If he can beat this they may have a stud on the Oline for
      years to come.  My Pick Cannon

      # 159 Lee Smith TE Marshall – Huge TE at 6’6” 266.  Two year Captain at Marshall
      and a very good inline blocker.  Slow, and won’t be much of a threat in the pass
      game.  Married with two children.  The word used to describe him is relentless.
      Could add weight and be moved inside to OT.  Strictly a development player.  My
      pick Chris Carter DE Fresno State

      #194 Markell Carter LB Central Arkansas 6’3” 240 4.7 40 – Carter came to CU as a
      WR.  He can put pressure on the QB, but lacks technique and fails to finish the
      plays.  Raw potential  Also, this trade was a joke, no reason for a swap of
      picks other than to say that PHI and NE have made a trade for 8 years in a row.
      My pick Mark Herzlich LB BC  Did anyone see the piece Herzlich did with Willie
      McGinest?  He can play in this league.  How much was his agent being Tom Condon
      have to do with herzlich not getting drafted?#219 (early 7th rd) Malcolm
      Williams CB TCU – didn’t think he would get drafted.  Strictly an athlete with
      no position.  Couldn’t get on the field at TCU.  If this doesn’t confirm the
      theory that t he Patriots are not going to draft a player represented by Tom
      Condon, nothing will.  The Patriots could have taken Mark Herzlich, if nothing
      but a jesture to the kid.  They had already selected a kid (Cannon) that was
      going through Chemo therapy, rather than one hat is already  cancer free.   My
      Pick I wouldn't have made this trade.
       Mark Morse
      Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup
    • Mark Morse
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2015

        Did the Patriots get played this weekend in the draft?

        That’s my feeling … They misread the draft completely.  Why did Malcolm Brown fall all the way to #32?  Not because of poor play, size, speed or other outside issues.  He fell because the teams ahead of the Patriots saw there was an abundance of DLineman in the draft and a derth of quality DB’s and Olineman.  I think the Patriots were locked in on OG Laken Tomlinson at #32 and when he was taken a few picks earlier, they shifted gears to trade the pick.  They never thought Malcolm Brown would get past the Colts and their weak run defense.  The Patriots had a trade in place with the Houston Texans (pick #51) that the Patriots pulled the offer when Brown was still on the board.

        What the Patriots missed was the value of trading up and the value of Olineman in this draft.  They should have been able to move up to #51 or #54 to grab one of the two top OG left in the draft (AJ Cann and Ali Marpet).  However, teams through out the Trade Value Chart and were asking outrageous prices in terms of picks for teams wanting to trade up.  Either teams didn’t want to trade with BB (Houston scorned by the 1st round trade that fell through) or were asking too much.  They were unable to get the job done and both OGs were gone by pick #64.  Then BB goes and does it again, picks a S that nobody has rated as high as a 2nd round pick.  Everyone had Richards as a third day pick at best.  He finishes of Day two with a DE/B that again the draft experts have listed as a third day pick.  He trades out of the 3rd round and picks up more picks in Day 3.

        Day Three BB hits a homerun with.  Flowers, Jackson and Mason were solid rd 4 picks.  However, the reason Jackson lasted so long was that teams had questions about his knees and his weight.  Mason is a terrific blocker but is slightly under 6’2”.   He played in the Georgia Tech triple Option Offense and has little experience pass blocking.  Most experts thought he would move to OC because of his lack of height.  Mason was my favorite pick of the day.  Flowers influence growing up was the movie “The Waterboy”.  I can see it now Captain Insane-o fans!

        Trade of 5th round pick to Green Bay was nowhere near what we should have received.  BB initiated that trade and had locked in on LS Joe Cardona (Navy).  Who else would have taken him?  Nobody because he has at least two years to fulfill on his Navy commitment.  From the 5th round on it was if BB was taking players he would like to have as UDFA, and locking them uo without competition by taking them late in the draft.  Wells compares very favorably to 1st round pick Shaq Thompson.  His height/ weight / speed numbers are the same and he might be better in pass coverage.  BB introduced him as a LB/S.  Roberts has incredible speed and change of direction ability and is relatively tall at 5’11” for CB.  He is slight of build and I can see him competing for the slot corner position.  Interesting take on why the Pats waited until the last round to take a CB.  None of the CBs on the board in round 3 were as good as the players they presently have on the roster!  The final pick was another LB from Alabama.  He is a longshot to make the team and his only real shot is to impress enough to make the Practice Squad.  Xzavier Dickson is a lot like Donta Hightower.

        Bottom line:  The Patriots doubled down as I expected at OL, DL, LB and DB.  They have some interesting prospects that fit their way of playing.  These players might not fit every system, but they fit the Patriots system.  We shall see what they have starting with Rookie Camp this weekend.

        Mark Morse
        Razor's Edge Tailgate Patriots Fangroup
      • frankdanabrewster
        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2015
          Mark, I know BB has the final say in all football ops decisions, but what is your take on Nick Caserio's degree of influence. Does he drive the bus on some of these decisions, or is he simply a 'consultant'.

          fdb
        • Mark Morse
          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2015
            Caserio is the organizer, a glorified scout, and part time coach.  He has no influence other than writing the reports on the Private Workouts he conducts leading up to the draft.  Mike Lombardi is the sounding board for Belichick and the only "peer" he truly respects within the room.  Lombardi is the only person that can disagree with Belichick, and have him listen to that disagreement.  This is strictly Bill's way or the highway.  That is why he hires junior coaches and scouts that cannot argue with him.

            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2015

              Thanks for the analysis, Mark!

              I personally think that the whole draft is just a crapshoot anyway.

              The players are there, the teams take them, but they don’t always work out the way anyone thinks.

              Your last sentence is the most telling thing (and is what BB himself says)—that they took players that fit the Patriot way and might not fit into every system.

              Even if we think that BB does not seem to know what he is doing, most years it works in his favor and we have to trust him.

              ALTHOUGH, we might as well not show up this year because Tony Romo of the Cowboys had guaranteed his fans a Super Bowl this year….lol!

              What I don’t get is that Navy player….don’t all graduates of those academies have to serve a 4-6 year term of service?

              So this guy has served 2 years and has 2 more? He shouldn’t even be allowed to enter the draft, in my opinion.

              Susan

              Message 6 of 7 , May 4, 2015
                Every year after the draft I wonder WTF?  And almost every year I see the results I didn’t expect from players no one else saw value in. Two years later I read about Pats knack for finding hidden value players two years ago. Of course there are the Maroneys and Bethel Johnsons and Harmons in there too.

                Regarding the Long Snapper from Navy, as some pundit pointed out already it’s vintage BB: contrarian pick (LS are almost never drafted), Navy connections (Steve Belichick was scout and coach at Navy for years), HS lacrosse player, & need.  Staubach was held out five years for Navy service and this kid has less than half that, if called.

                In Bill I trust.

                Baze
                --
                Steve Basile

[...]