The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Packers)

  • Levine, David
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 20, 2010
      The Good
      - OK, this is the one and only time he will ever get the top spot so I have to give it to him. Dan Connelly for not only his kickoff return but the fact that he stayed in the game and blocked on the OL for the TD. He got the ball, put 2 hands on it and planned to fall down as soon as he was hit. Problem was, no one ever touched him. Cut outside and started motoring down the sideline. A stiff arm and a cutback later and I had dreams of a TD. Not to be as he was downed at the 5. Great effort. Longest return by a lineman ever. Brady said it best in the post game interview. "They won't be kicking to him anymore." I don't think there was a person watching that wasn't rooting for the TD. Even Packer fans as they probably knew we would score anyway.
      - Got to give props to Arrington. He made a nice play on the ball for the INT but then broke 4 tackles on the way into the end zone. Would have rather not seen the flip but I guess he gets his one moment of glory.
      - The audible from Brady to Hernandez not only shows how good Tom is, but how quick the rookie catches on. TB said that it was a planned run to the right but the Packers had it stacked to that side. Seeing the nickel D on the field, he liked the 1 on 1 match up with Hernandez. Made the adjustment, Hernandez splits wide and smartly moves up to cover the tackle (I waved him forward from my bedroom chair BTW) and the rest is athleticism.
      - Our D really stood tall in the 4th quarter. We were able to hold for a FG with first and goal. Forced a 3 and out with 11 minutes to go. With 7:14 left, we force a punt after 4 plays. And then with 4:22 to go, we force them to run out the clock.
      - Big Vince was, well, Big. He was a man out there and, with the limited DL available, played damn near the entire game. Seemed only fitting that he recover the final fumble. Looked like when he dove on it, he was really falling down out of exhaustion and would take a minute or 2 to get back up. Loved when he dropped into coverage on the RB.
      - I have to say that Flynn played a hell of a game. He looked good out there for the most part but could get flustered under pressure.
      - BJ Raji is a beast.
      - I was looking at the NYJ/Pitt game and couldn't decide who I wanted to win. Pitt wins and we get the division. NYJ win and we are closer to the #1 seed. Opted for the latter and that is what we got. We win 1 of the last 2 or the Jets lose 1 of the last 2 and we are the #1 seed with a bye and home field throughout.

      The Bad
      - This is another week where Edelman lets a pass go through his hands. Cost us 4 points as he had a sure TD and almost cost us a pick.
      - Our run D was porous but it is very difficult to play with only 5 healthy DL. The boys were just getting tired out there and couldn't keep up. I will give them a bye this week as they were severely shorthanded but they need to fix this going into the playoffs.
      - We need to finish our sacks. Too many times do we get a hand on the QB only to have him scramble away and make a play. Wrap him up and tackle.
      - Our O looked a little out of sync with the blocking on blitz pickup. I don't know if it was just an off game or what but there was quite a bit of pressure on Brady that I don't like.
      - We were not ready for the on sides kick. Guys were running away before the ball was really kicked. They need to sure this up as it's a second time we were burned this year.
      - Our D was not aggressive. This was a sideline thing. Any time we pressured Flynn, he panicked. Why didn't we blitz more?

      The Ugly
      - Late flags, thrown well after the play was over. There was the blow to the head on a WR who was going down. There was the PI. Were these called because the commish was in the stands? Throwing a flag a couple of seconds late is one thing but 15 to 20 is ridiculous.
      - I can't believe the utter collapse of the Giants. I have never seen a team quit so badly. 28 points in the final 7 minutes? Not even being aware of a on-sides kick? Not punting the ball out of bounds with 15 seconds to go? Horrid.
      - Watching Woodhead try and pick up BJ Raji on a stunt. He tried but he wasn't really that successful. Would have loved to have seen Faulk try it.
      - The final drive by GB put Flynn in a tough position. They got the ball with good field position, 2 timeouts and plenty of time to move the ball down the field. The play calls, however, put them in a position to fail. They wasted so much time with the run and the short passes that they were going to run out of time or force their rookie QB into a situation he wasn't ready for. If I were them, I would have used the hurry up from the beginning, giving my QB less to think about and simpler plays. If we score early, let the D try and hold the Pats. I wouldn't want my young QB trying to make a decision with time running out and just getting sacked setting up 2nd and really long.

      Dave
    • Levine, David
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2014
        The Good
        - It was a loss but I don't feel bad about it. We had a shot at the end but couldn't get it done. GB is an excellent team and Rodgers is playing the best football on the planet. We lost to a great team but hung in there until the end in their house. There is no reason not to believe that this wasn't a preview of the Super Bowl.
        - Our D held GB to FGs the entire game and only 3 points in the second half. If you told me before the game that they would score 26, I would say we win. It just didn't happen. No TDs in the red zone against that offense is impressive.
        - Other than the one long TD catch, Nelson did nothing all day. Our D was able to shut him down. In fact, I thought the DBs were great. A couple of passes were just perfect into tight coverage. With no pass rush (by design in some cases), we played the bend but don't break D almost to perfection). No reason to believe that with a healthy C Jones, this game isn't a different story.
        - Gronk continues to play inspired football. I am shocked that he couldn't come up with the TD on the final drive. He had it but maybe the DB ripped it out at the last second. We never really saw. Never came off the field.
        - Who needs to use up a position on a long snapper when you have Ninkovich? He did well given the circumstances.
        - We didn't commit to the run game but we still chewed up good chunks of yardage. Bolden had a nice run for a TD and Blount continues to run hard and run over people. He laid some poor DB out.
        - Nice catch by LaFell on the back shoulder TD. That was excellent coverage and Brady fit it into a tight window an LaFell made the adjustment.
        - If Rodgers isn't MVP, my vote might go to JJ Watt. Another forced fumble and recovery. Another TD reception. Wow. Gronk is in the conversation too.
        - Hightower and Collins were great all day. They really did a good job in the middle of the field. (Hightower nearly killed a WR on one play). Even when Ninkovich was asked to cover on those wheel routes, he did what he could. No way he can stay with Cobb but he was damn close, forcing a perfect throw.
        - Why wasn't Ayers on a team? How did we get him? He is playing at a very high level.

        The Bad
        - The first sack in a month happens at the worst time possible. If we throw incomplete there, we go for it on 4th down. Instead, the sack forced 4th and 18 and a missed FG.
        - The O just couldn't get it going. We went away from what we do best which is just move the ball down the field. Too many deep shots put us in difficult situations. We only had 4 scoring opportunities and that isn't enough. 3 TDs and 1 missed FG ain't gonna get it done.
        - The OL struggled a bit. I won't give them a failing grade but TB12 didn't have enough time to throw sometimes. Cannon didn't do well as the 6th lineman. We need to get Fleming back.
        - Why isn't Amendola or Wright involved? There were at least 2 plays that I saw where Amendola was open for an easy 1st down but Brady forced the throw into tight coverage for an incompletion. That was in only limited snaps because of the 2 TE/2 WR that we ran almost all game. Wright was hardly targeted.
        - Still don't know why we didn't run more. We were getting good gains almost every try but we just didn't stay committed. We had the time as the score was always close.
        - I hope Edelman is OK. He took a good shot to the leg and looked hobbled after that. Great move to get open on the 4th down conversion but we need him healthy.
        - After the score to bring the game to 16-14, we give up the big play to Nelson. Revis was beaten and McCourty took a bad angle and had to play catch up. We had 2 miscues all day. That play and the late sack. We get those back and we probably win (or at least go to OT).
        - Time to cut bait with Dobson. He gets his chance and hurts himself.

        The Ugly
        - I don't know what game the officials were watching but that was bad. No offensive PI on the 3rd down catch on the sideline throw? Defensive PI when Edelman ran into the guy? Too many men on the field when we had 11? BB was livid as no one subbed and we still had 11 out there. The ref was going to let it go until "Guns" realized his guys couldn't count. Why couldn't the side judge blow the whistle and conference.
        - Oakland is really that bad. 52 to 0? Wow. No pride left over there.
        - Is there really a need to see Gronk's ass crack that much. I know it was a great play as it took 5 guys to bring the big guy down but my god, my eyes.
        - I think I counted 7 defensive TDs yesterday. There were at least 4 blocked kicks. 2 punts by Minnesota. That was an odd week.

        Dave
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2014

          Hey David,

          Thanks for the analysis.

          I know I shouldn’t whine about a loss, but you know me, I always do…lol! I just think that we should win all 16!!

          I’m not as impressed with GB as you are and I don’t think that Rogers is the best QB or even playing the best.

          Part of my thing is that I still have lingering bitter feelings from 1997 (as I do with 08 and 12 with the Giants), but part of that is personal.

          Have just never really liked them anyway. BB was nice and gracious after the game I noticed.

          Nice to see the holding to field goals and it would have been nice to just convert one more TD after all of that effort.

          Even the radio (I was driving somewhere during the game) mentioned the lack of Amendola and Wright.

          Sometimes you don’t hear that sort of analysis on the TV, but the radio seems to have a different focus or slant or intelligence.

          This season is really odd…after so many teams last year were bad and that let the Hags get lucky.

          We go into KC and get hammered by that tomahawk chop, but the Broncos handle them.

          The Broncos come into our house and get hammered. Packers can’t beat the Hags but beat us.

          We beat the Lions but the Lions beat the Packers. We think that Arizona is going to rise to the top and then they fall.

          The papers had the Broncos and Hags in a repeat SB, but I don’t think that will happen.

          Now multiple teams have chances and I like ours for getting to the SB. Sure hope it’s not the Packers.

          Eagles look sort of dangerous and unpredictable right now.

          GO PATS against Chargers!! Weather was nice until yesterday and then it poured, but it probably will clear up.